Through balls and crosses

Guest Deleted member

21 minutes ago, BULGARIA said:

Can anyone honestly tell me when was the last time a midfielder slipped a thu ball for one of our strikers to run onto and score?

I remember Gary Gardner did it once when he was on loan under Stuart Gray. Can't remember who scored it may have been Lee so not technically a striker but he was in the position.

Edited by Dutch McLovin

40 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

No.

But it does highlight a strange an anomoly in our transfer targeting.  Signing players who show an extreme adeptness at a certain skill.......and then in a way which completely neutralises that skill assest.

"We're signing John Sheridan and Glenn Hoddle......now...what I want us to do as a team, is completley bypass midfield"

Yes, agree again. Recruitment has been  bizzare to say the least

34 minutes ago, owls101 said:

Yes, agree again. Recruitment has been  bizzare to say the least

I mean don't get me wrong. I've seen planety of teams that play without putting crossed in the box.

Teams that play it through the middle of the park.  I just can't fathom why we're trying to do that with two men. One who'd more of a defender and the other who fetches the ball off our centre half 70 yards away from their goal.

If we're not going to get the ball in the box. Then I'd sacrifice a striker.

The problem we created for our selves is simple and glaringly obvious when Nando plays up front as part of our two. Bannan, Wallace, Jones, Hutchinson never bust a gut to get in the box it's nose bleed territory for them, so by not playing abdi or Lee nobody breaks into the opposition box. This inevitably means since Nando is no threat in the air, we have one striker, be it Rhodes, Fletcher, Winnal trying to compete for balls coming in against 2/3 CB's depending on opposition formation and tracking back midfielders and full backs, so our striker is constantly outnumbered 4 sometimes 5/6 to one and easy to cover. Without midfielders breaking into the oppositions box which is how we're playing/ personnel on the pitch. It's not just about getting balls in the box you need numbers also. 

Edited by shezzas left peg

With the exception of Rhodes nobody can get on the end of a cross and, I dunno 99 times out of 100 the defenders will head the cross away anyway - I'm not a fan of crosses. I'm not saying don't cross the ball in the box, but don't do it on virtually every single attack like we have been doing for the last 10 years or so

4 hours ago, BULGARIA said:

Can anyone honestly tell me when was the last time a midfielder slipped a thu ball for one of our strikers to run onto and score?

Glenn Whelan for Drew Talbot in 3:1 win against Blackpool back in season 2004/05.

Guest Deleted member

I hope Rhodes didnt watch tonight. He be gutted he wasn't there for all those through balls and crosses 

Edited by Deleted member