Through balls and crosses

Guest Deleted member

Last season I saw Rhodes make countless intelligent bending runs towards space when we were attacking at not once did he get a through ball slipped through to him - in fact I don't recall seeing an attempt to make such a pass! - He must wonder what the hell he has to do to receive a pass in a dangerous situation.   Absolutely pathetic that the coaching staff and players are not looking to use this attacking option.

12 hours ago, JoshTheOwl said:

And Grandad, it's not just Rhodes. Im sure there are plenty of highlights for Winnall and Hooper who give them some service they will score. 

The game against Norwich is a prime example, twice yes Bannan got forward whipped in 2 great balls and Rhodes fired them in. Why can't we do this more often?! I know not every single cross Rhodes will score from but if you give him roger all service he ain't got a chance at all. 

And Fletch. Lethal with good crosses. Even long-throws!

The warm up was very encouraging, the players carried out the drills perfectly

Then for some reason their heads empty once the whistle has blown

Lots blaming Carlos but surely his drills disprove this

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink..............

3 minutes ago, happy bunny said:

You can give it a nice cup of Kieran Lee and a biscuit. FACT.

12 hours ago, JoshTheOwl said:

And Grandad, it's not just Rhodes. Im sure there are plenty of highlights for Winnall and Hooper who give them some service they will score. 

The game against Norwich is a prime example, twice yes Bannan got forward whipped in 2 great balls and Rhodes fired them in. Why can't we do this more often?! I know not every single cross Rhodes will score from but if you give him roger all service he ain't got a chance at all. 

And Abdi 

12 hours ago, Grandad said:

That's all Rhodes needs. He gets none.

"We need more crosses" is one of those owlstalk bandwagons that people can't resist.

Crossing the ball from wide is one of the most inefficient ways of trying to score. It takes 70+ crosses to score one goal. 

It's a couple of years old but check out this article for some analysis.

http://spielverlagerung.com/2015/06/22/an-ineffective-tool/

12 hours ago, 33 said:

We dont put crosses in because Reach cannot cross or put a through ball in or go round his man to make the final pass.

similar Pudil, Hunt most of the time and Boyd for his hour yesterday.

Put the players on the field that can deliver service and put them in positions to do so.

If Bannan is playing then it has to be in a more advanced role as Lee would normally occupy.

Yesterday it was like playing with 4 centre halves

I like you but put the meat on the fire Carlos before someone else is doing the cooking

We've had the players to do this (McGeady, McManaman) but he doesn't like them. Full back has been one of our weakest position for 2 seasons now and hasn't been addressed in the right way. At the moment, we HAVE to start Wallace as he is the only player we have that seems to make things happen and can deliver quality/find that through ball. 

Edited by roundhayowl

36 minutes ago, owls101 said:

"We need more crosses" is one of those owlstalk bandwagons that people can't resist.

Crossing the ball from wide is one of the most inefficient ways of trying to score. It takes 70+ crosses to score one goal. 

It's a couple of years old but check out this article for some analysis.

http://spielverlagerung.com/2015/06/22/an-ineffective-tool/

That might well be true. Fact remains though Winnall and Fletcher scored more than 50% of their goals last season from crosses.

6 minutes ago, owls101 said:

So we should just bang in more crosses then? 

More?

Well. One might be a starting point!

I think we have to make the distinction too that a cross into the box can cover a wide range of passes. Cut backs, drilled low ones, little dinks, inswingers to the back post and deft wedges to the front.

Cross right onto the toes of the dashing striker and crosses left hang perfectly a yard in front of a charging forward head. 

As soon as someone of my generation says it might be nice to see some crosses into the box there is always an air of "Here come the dinosaurs with their humping it aimlessly into the box ways"  As if all crosses are just tw*tting the ball aimlessly. (which is ironically what we were doing on Saturday when we didn't put any good crosses in.

2 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

More?

Well. One might be a starting point!

I think we have to make the distinction too that a cross into the box can cover a wide range of passes. Cut backs, drilled low ones, little dinks, inswingers to the back post and deft wedges to the front.

Cross right onto the toes of the dashing striker and crosses left hang perfectly a yard in front of a charging forward head. 

As soon as someone of my generation says it might be nice to see some crosses into the box there is always an air of "Here come the dinosaurs with their humping it aimlessly into the box ways"  As if all crosses are just tw*tting the ball aimlessly. (which is ironically what we were doing on Saturday when we didn't put any good crosses in.

Fair enough, completely agree. Attacking from wide can be very effective but just because  winnall, fletch and Rhodes have scored a few headers doesnt mean  all we have to do is increase the volume of balls into the box. 

2 minutes ago, owls101 said:

Fair enough, completely agree. Attacking from wide can be very effective but just because  winnall, fletch and Rhodes have scored a few headers doesnt mean  all we have to do is increase the volume of balls into the box. 

No.

But it does highlight a strange an anomoly in our transfer targeting.  Signing players who show an extreme adeptness at a certain skill.......and then in a way which completely neutralises that skill assest.

"We're signing John Sheridan and Glenn Hoddle......now...what I want us to do as a team, is completley bypass midfield"

Guest BULGARIA

Can anyone honestly tell me when was the last time a midfielder slipped a thu ball for one of our strikers to run onto and score?

Guest BULGARIA
1 hour ago, happy bunny said:

Maybe they dont want to play for him any longer. I have no doubt the players are as frustrated as the fans.

13 hours ago, JoshTheOwl said:

Currently feeling is I cannot be arsed to step in front of Hillsborough until either Carlos has gone or he's changed his ways

why oh why can so many fans see the issues but he can't? 

Ive seen us play c*ap before. But we had c*ap players. So all in all they did their best.

Now I see us playing c*ap and we have a great team. Un-fu**ing-leash em! We are Wednesday! Lets ave em!

If we lose, at least we know how the team needs strengthening. If we play the tactics we have been playing we don't, because the team don't play.

When the Blades got promoted they were not looking forward to the game at Hillsborough. Now they are, as is every other team in the division.

1 hour ago, happy bunny said:

You can play players that will more effectively carry out plans tho. Lee Abdi Matias.

Ok lee is not fit and we don't want to rush him but MM and AA will not get a chance in front of Reach and Bannan I'm afraid. And that is down to the manager