New Captain

Guest RocketOwl

6 minutes ago, Dooogs said:

This. I love Hutch but you need a cool head as captain. Lees is a bit reserved for me and Westwood is too far removed from most of the action. I'd stick with Loovens myself - if he's on the bench, I like the idea of Wallace as replacement skipper, actually. I bet he could get inside the ref's mind by half-time...

Didn't think of Wallace.

Thats a great call.

Gives his all. Plays every game. Intelligent. Vociferous. 

Guest RocketOwl
40 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

You called him 3rd or 4th choice

That classes as writing him off as captain, and possibly as a player.

Not really, he is getting on a bit but more then happy for Loovens to start as first choice. We need a centre back to push him.

3 hours ago, ramone said:

Course it does. The biggest prize going in football has been lifted by a lot of Goalkeepers proving that Goalkeepers can make excellent captains

Yes I understand that. The point is that all those you mentioned were from top domestic and national teams where there are probably 4 or 5 captains all over the pitch.

I just think at club level the captain needs to be in the thick of the action.

A captain has to thrive on the responsibility, I am not sure Lees does.

He certainly plays better with Loovens at the side of him as if having him there as captain takes the pressure off him and let's him just get on with his own game 

6 hours ago, Hedwig said:

I would imagine if it's not Hutchinson, someone like Hooper or Bannan could be captain material.

When fit, they are going to be an integral part of how the team plays,so imagine will be on the pitch more than off it.

Plus, both seem to have the respect of the Manager & the other players, which is vital.

Bannan should no more than back up this year never mind captain.

Hutchinson hands down for me, has all the qualities you want in a leader, most passionate player i've seen in years at S6 and LOVES a good tackle. I would only reconsider if our core team this year doesn't have him in it, for example if CC sticks with 442 and plays Lee/Bannan in the middle and Lee + a new singing at CB. Not sure who i'd give it to then, don't think Lees is vocal enough and doesn't strike me as the 'leader' type, probably Westwood is the next best candidate or Fletcher.

However if we switch to a formation like a 4141, 4231 or maybe even a 532 where he could flourish as a CDM or sweeper CB I would absolutely love to see him wearing the captains armband. 

Edited by Lionel Fessi

Guest samowl

He needs writing off. As Captain and as first choice. If someone comes in and gees him up great. Let him fight for his place. But Captain. Nope. 

12 hours ago, ramone said:

Gigi Buffon - World Cup Winner as captain

Oliver Khan - World Cup Winner as captain

Iker Cassillas - World Cup Winner as captain

Dino Zoff - World Cup Winner as captain

Kind of quashes that theory... 

lol

case dismissed m'lud

20 minutes ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

Not sure why everyone's so desperate to break up a defence that been just about the best in our history for 3 consecutive seasons- I think the midfield is far more of a priority.

not EVERYONE mate .....