Westwood wanted

34 minutes ago, Geoffrey said:

Since the figures of a £17.129m we signed Fletcher, Kean, Pudil, Abdi, Jones, Sasso, Emmanuelson, Fox, Reach, Winnall and Rhodes. On top of that Westwood and Forestieri signed improved contracts.

It wouldn't surprise me if that takes us over £25m.

Like it says,when this years figures are released,we'll find out won't we,its all guess work until then.

11 minutes ago, agentwalker said:

I bet my left nut he'll be in between the sticks come the first game of the season.

In a Wednesday shirt.

You are wrong, he'll have picked up a minor niggle and Wildsmith will be starting.    Westwood will play the next game at home.   

Don't shoot the messenger.

Worst case scenario we take 6 million plus (don't think we'll sell btw) we could get John Ruddy.

Former England keeper and younger than Westwood. Could mentor Wildsmith for a couple more years. 

I don't see see us selling Westwood though and righty so. 

Edited by steelcityowlsfan

Why can't a release clause, which Boro's local paper today confirms does exist at £3 million, spark a bidding war?

If Boro bid £3 million and the player wants to go, game on. But then West Ham come in at £5 million and Boro up to £6 , then Hammers respond at £7 etc, etc.

And  that's just with a 2 - club auction scenario.  

2 minutes ago, fred mciver said:

Why can't a release clause, which Boro's local paper today confirms does exist at £3 million, spark a bidding war?

If Boro bid £3 million and the player wants to go, game on. But then West Ham come in at £5 million and Boro up to £6 , then Hammers respond at £7 etc, etc.

How can a local paper confirm anything?

On 6/23/2017 at 10:01, WalthamOwl said:

Also Middlesbrough is one of the biggest dumps in the country, unless they are getting paid crazy money dont get why anyone would want to live there.

Typical response from a fan when a favourite player is linked with a move away to a more successful club......players don't have to live in slums, they can buy a big house in the nearby countryside. Sheffield is a dump but the Peak District is nice.

2 minutes ago, ReluctantNicko said:

Typical response from a fan when a favourite player is linked with a move away to a more successful club......players don't have to live in slums, they can buy a big house in the nearby countryside. Sheffield is a dump but the Peak District is nice.

You don't half postsomeshit.

33 minutes ago, fred mciver said:

Because that's now how a release clause works

If it exists and it's the figure suggested, we have to accept any £3 million bid. Why would West Ham come in at £5 million when they can bid £3 million, same as Boro, and get their offer accepted just the same as Boro did? 

1 minute ago, StudentOwl said:

Because that's now how a release clause works

If it exists and it's the figure suggested, we have to accept any £3 million bid. Why would West Ham come in at £5 million when they can bid £3 million, same as Boro, and get their offer accepted just the same as Boro did? 

So what you are saying is this?

The first club with the cash gets him.

8 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

Well, Westwood still has a say in it, too!

I don't think he'd leave us for any other Championship club, but think if this clause is correct, it leaves us pretty vulnerable to a PL club turning his head, for what to them, would be peanuts.

10 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

Not necessarily... if I were in Westwood's position, I'd happily wait a couple of weeks to see what happens. Could be if one club makes a bid, it triggers others to match it, and then he has a choice of contracts to choose from. Take into account wages, bonuses, potential playing time and then make my decision from there. No need to go for the first club, he has plenty of time and clout to choose where he can go if multiple bids come in

Of course, all that is on the assumption that any of this is true or accurate in the first place

Sorry, I'm assuming that if a few clubs bid above release clause, you can chhose who to sell to, clearly with player's agreement too.

But if not, let's get others involved as we don't want to flog to a Championship club under any circumstances, especially not Boro.

Better still , give Westy an improved  deal so he stays with us. Ditto FF , etc.

2 minutes ago, fred mciver said:

Sorry, I'm assuming that if a few clubs bid above release clause, you can chhose who to sell to, clearly with player's agreement too.

But if not, let's get others involved as we don't want to flog to a Championship club under any circumstances, especially not Boro.

Better still , give Westy an improved  deal so he stays with us. Ditto FF , etc.

Both had improved deals during the season.

1 hour ago, ReluctantNicko said:

Exactly; players who head to Boro don't live on the main high street between Betfred and Montys Kebab House. They live in Yarm. Quite a few of the Hull players live in Leeds. 

15 minutes ago, fred mciver said:

No club would bid above the release clause because they don't have to. That's the whole point of a release clause. We would have to accept ALL bids that match the clause. 

It would then be down to the player to decide which club to join or whether to stay put. 

Can't see Westwood going anywhere. 

I don't think people understand release clauses. You only have to meet the £3m. There can be no bidding war, and that would work against Westwood anyway, as it would eat into his own salary. 

This is all part and parcel of clawing our way back from 15-20 years in the wilderness, unfortunately.

You make precious few great signings during the rougher times (Westwood being chief amongst ours), and then you catch a break and land owners like Mandaric and now DC - suddenly you've got money to spend and wages to bring in more quality signings - but as much as we all love this club, Wednesday after the last two decades we've had is not a dream move for many Prem-capable footballers, and a lot of them who do come to us (because we catch them at the right time in their careers and we've got the wage kitty to fund the moves) will only do so with low release clauses.

They come here *expecting* to shine, expecting to get noticed in a good champ team, and rightly so. Many of them find they really like it here and develop something approaching loyalty, which is brilliant - even so, for many of our best players, a move to Wednesday is also a great way to put themselves back in the shop window after a bit of a falter or break in their careers that reduced the price tag to within our range.

Admittedly Westwood's case is slightly different to, say, Bannan or Rhodes, as Westy joined in an earlier wave and has dramatically grown in stature here - but until we're back in the top flight ourselves this will happen again and again.

Hope he stays of course, but he's not half earned the attention - he's been outstanding. (Literally, and that's the problem!)