The Owlstalk Myth

Guest RocketOwl

7 hours ago, RocketOwl said:

"We don't play to Rhodes strengths and get crosses into the box".

Take a look at Steven Fletcher goals in the last 10 games - majority from crosses.

From memory - Huddersfield playoffs (Header from cross), Derby Home (Header from Cross) Newcastle at home (Fletcher and Lees from crosses).Hooper against Derby also from a cross.

Any responses to how Fletcher seems to be scoring from crosses into the box?

Cheers.

So what you're saying is Jordan Rhodes, a striker who throughout his career has averaged a goal every other game at this level, a striker who over the last 6 seasons is the most prolific at this level, a striker who at his age should be in the peak years of his career, comes to Wednesday and suddenly stops scoring but we ARE playing to his strengths?

Ok then. :ghoulguy:

40 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

So what you're saying is Jordan Rhodes, a striker who throughout his career has averaged a goal every other game at this level, a striker who over the last 6 seasons is the most prolific at this level, a striker who at his age should be in the peak years of his career, comes to Wednesday and suddenly stops scoring but we ARE playing to his strengths?

Ok then. :ghoulguy:

I don't think anyone would say that mate, but this is the way we roll, we don't play any other way, so why sign him. A pointless, and extravagant signing

41 minutes ago, A12owl said:

Perhaps it would be worth waiting till he has had a full pre season and a change of tactics by CC .  Both you and Rocketowl have had it in for JR since he signed. 

That would be lovely, though you would have thought we might have tried that when we signed him. Maybe if we'd played a different way, we wouldn't have needed him in the first place My main gripe is, the money should have been spent on someone who fits the way we play When it comes to Jordan Rhodes, it's all ifs and buts. That's a far cry from the earlier consensus, that he'd tear the division a new one.

4 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

That would be lovely, though you would have thought we might have tried that when we signed him. Maybe if we'd played a different way, we wouldn't have needed him in the first place My main gripe is, the money should have been spent on someone who fits the way we play When it comes to Jordan Rhodes, it's all ifs and buts. That's a far cry from the earlier consensus, that he'd tear the division a new one.

Which striker, in your view, suits the way we play?

38 minutes ago, A12owl said:

Is it JR's fault or our tactics that he hasnt scored more goals?

How many shots on and off target has he had?

Somebody will know. 

No, it absolutely isn't Jordan Rhodes fault, it's clear our tactics don't suit him It was clear to me when we first moved for him, and it should have been clear to whoever does our recruiting. 

12 minutes ago, A12owl said:

Is it JR's fault or our tactics that he hasnt scored more goals?

How many shots on and off target has he had?

Somebody will know. 

Rhodes / 26 shots / 15 on target / 3 goals

FF / 88 shots / 45 on target / 10 goals

Fletch / 56 shots / 20 on target / 9 goals

Hooper / 18 shots / 14 on target / 5 goals

Winnall / 23 shots / 8 on target / 3 goals ( 37 / 19 / 11 for Barnsley)

(Pens not incl)

Edited by Holmowl

30 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I don't think anyone would say that mate, but this is the way we roll, we don't play any other way, so why sign him. A pointless, and extravagant signing

I don't think the problem is a lack of crosses (although we could do with getting a few more into the box), the problem is that we are just painfully slow at getting forwards, Rhodes plays off the shoulder, it's no good us taking too many passes from side to side as we try to get forward, by the time we get to the edge of the box it's usually too crowded, the entire back line plus a couple of midfielders are usually back by then and it's making Rhodes job all the more difficult.

I'm not saying he's the answer but if we'd have had a player like Jermaine Johnson as an option last season, with the option of pace in an attacking position and had we used that option, I dare say Rhodes would have got more goals and perhaps his confidence wouldn't have been shot when it came to the shootout against Huddersfield.

39 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

I don't think the problem is a lack of crosses (although we could do with getting a few more into the box), the problem is that we are just painfully slow at getting forwards, Rhodes plays off the shoulder, it's no good us taking too many passes from side to side as we try to get forward, by the time we get to the edge of the box it's usually too crowded, the entire back line plus a couple of midfielders are usually back by then and it's making Rhodes job all the more difficult.

I'm not saying he's the answer but if we'd have had a player like Jermaine Johnson as an option last season, with the option of pace in an attacking position and had we used that option, I dare say Rhodes would have got more goals and perhaps his confidence wouldn't have been shot when it came to the shootout against Huddersfield.

Yep, you're bang right, we are painfully slow, and generally don't commit enough bodies into the box  It isn't good for Jordan Rhodes, and it isn't good for any of our other strikers either. It is, however, the way we play though. 

6 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Rhodes / 26 shots / 15 on target / 3 goals

FF / 88 shots / 45 on target / 10 goals

Fletch / 56 shots / 20 on target / 9 goals

Hooper / 18 shots / 14 on target / 5 goals

Winnall / 23 shots / 8 on target / 3 goals ( 37 / 19 / 11 for Barnsley)

(Pens not incl)

Are they genuine?

REET stats from Hooper, such a shame he missed a fair chunk of the season.

Quality player.

38 minutes ago, A12owl said:

Then why do you and Rocket continually criticise him.? 

I don't, I mainly criticise the buying of him. Can I just ask you, you've watched us and know how we play, so what do you think the thinking was behind the decision to sign him?

1 minute ago, A12owl said:

Good stats Holmowl. Dont know where you got them from so quickly. Proves that Hooper is our best striker. Many have been saying this for a while. 

Courtesy of the Beeb.

Google BBC Sheff Wed top scorers.