Why do people expect Abdi to be so good next year

52 minutes ago, Fibonacci91 said:

To suggest he never gives the ball away implies you didnt go to many games he played in last season

It sounds like its you that didn't go to the games. He very rarely gave the ball away. You could argue his passing was mainly sideways or backwards but certainly not that he gave it away frequently.

36 minutes ago, bigdan2003 said:

Did you see him play for Watford?

I assume not. 

He was part of a brilliant team that got promoted to the PL. And then he played 30 odd games for them in the PL. 

He is a good player, not an FF type where you see him skipping past players. He's an intelligent player. 

Our midfield should be built around him, OR let him go. Because trying to shoe horn him into a midfield of Bannan, Hutch and Lee won't work. 

I did see him for watford, based on form for watford, he would walk into our side. 

To say we should build our midfield around him when he has been poor all season is insane. You are judging him on past form.

9 minutes ago, NorthernOwl said:

It sounds like its you that didn't go to the games. He very rarely gave the ball away. You could argue his passing was mainly sideways or backwards but certainly not that he gave it away frequently.

Maybe not with misplaced passes, but he lost every 50/50 i saw him in, he got tackled every time someone went to tackle him, or his first touch gave it away.

He might not have misplaced passes, but he certainly gave the ball away a good number of times.

10 minutes ago, Fibonacci91 said:

I did see him for watford, based on form for watford, he would walk into our side. 

To say we should build our midfield around him when he has been poor all season is insane. You are judging him on past form.

Yeah. He went to bed one night. When he woke up in the morning he'd forgotten how to play good football.

It's obvious he's been blighted with injury.

Which-to me- is the concern.

29 minutes ago, Fibonacci91 said:

Yes, i am judging him on his past form...past form that wasn't that long ago. The few occasions he played, he was shoe horned into the side and played out of position. 

Edited by bigdan2003

43 minutes ago, bigdan2003 said:

Yes, i am judging him on his past form...past form that wasn't that long ago. The few occasions he played, he was shoe horned into the side and played out of position. 

I don't think, either the Abdi transfer, or the Rhodes transfer were particularly well thought through based on the evidence we've seen However, that could all change if Carlos unveils a brand new way of playing for next season, which get the best out of both of them. At their age though, they were hardly investments for the future, so someone must have thought they could do a job last season

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

I don't think, either the Abdi transfer, or the Rhodes transfer were particularly well thought through based on the evidence we've seen However, that could all change if Carlos unveils a brand new way of playing for next season, which get the best out of both of them. At their age though, they were hardly investments for the future, so someone must have thought they could do a job last season

Rhodes is 27, hardly the twilight of his career

39 minutes ago, sweetsheri said:

Rhodes is 27, hardly the twilight of his career

Yes hardly, but like Abdi, he was no novice, bought for a later date. Abdi was bought to give our midfield a bit of gloss, and Rhodes was bought because we thought his goals might get us over the line

2 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Yes hardly, but like Abdi, he was no novice, bought for a later date. Abdi was bought to give our midfield a bit of gloss, and Rhodes was bought because we thought his goals might get us over the line

Rhodes is quality. Given the right support and service of course.

IMO

38 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

Yeah. He went to bed one night. When he woke up in the morning he'd forgotten how to play good football.

It's obvious he's been blighted with injury.

Which-to me- is the concern.

My point is, its insane to assume Abdi is good enough for our first team based on his form for Wednesday. Surely you see the logic here, its not rocket science its really not. In fact its sort of amazing me how many people just dont seem to get the logic. Its quite incredible.

14 minutes ago, Jamie_W said:

The point is that regardless of his past successes, he has not been good for us and has seemed unsettled. Sometimes transfers just don't work out for a player, be it for on or off field reasons. Considering our position of trying to push for promotion it seems a crazy gamble to place faith in a player in his situation and as some of you say 'build the team around him' when it's not worked for a full season. If he can turn it around, great, but on the evidence so far, we'd be better taking a chance on someone who hasn't failed to fit in.

Are you the only reasonable wednesday fan on the planet? lets have a pint mate honestly

9 minutes ago, Fibonacci91 said:

My point is, its insane to assume Abdi is good enough for our first team based on his form for Wednesday. Surely you see the logic here, its not rocket science its really not. In fact its sort of amazing me how many people just dont seem to get the logic. Its quite incredible.

It's only you who has come up with the ridiculous parameter of " form for Wednesday". 

He's hardly played for us.

But of course you know that.

Hate to seem argumentative but its pretty obvious why people think Abdi will be good next year... Hes got promoted from the Champ before, kept Forestieri out of that same Watford team, played in the Prem when Fernando got sold... Fernando has been our best player for two seasons now and Abdi is comfortably a better player

Apart from that, yeah youre bang on mate cheers

1 minute ago, MOwl said:

Hate to seem argumentative but its pretty obvious why people think Abdi will be good next year... Hes got promoted from the Champ before, kept Forestieri out of that same Watford team, played in the Prem when Fernando got sold... Fernando has been our best player for two seasons now and Abdi is comfortably a better player

Apart from that, yeah youre bang on mate cheers

It's Donald farts trump's time. Neil at his close season worst.

2 hours ago, Fibonacci91 said:

To suggest he never gives the ball away implies you didnt go to many games he played in last season

Nice try pal lol I remember one game earlier in the season where he had 100% pass accuracy.  The fact that you're having a pop at anyone who praises him implies you're set against him.

There's no denying Abdi is a top quality player.  It's a shame injuries have held him back last season.  

We've spent over 4 million on him, so hopefully we can get him back to the form he had at Watford.

He will be like a new signing for us next season.  

2 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Well, you can say the same about Jordan Rhodes, and he cost a heck of a lot more Suppose what I'm trying to say is, both players have been game changers for their previous clubs, but both require something different tactically to be able to show their best.

This

1 hour ago, Fibonacci91 said:

Apply that logic to Wallace pre Huddersfield at home, or even before scored that goal, this season.

Think about it, really think about Wallace's form before that game and what you are saying about Abdi.

No-one really knows what may happen.

I'm honestly expecting Abdi to be a top player next season. Not sure if that will be for us or someone else but I'm fairly sure he'll be fit and firing. 

Sane could be said for 2/3 others in terms of fullpre seadon and hit ground running. Him, Hooper, Rhodes, Lee, maybe even Matias... a boy can dream.