Why do people expect Abdi to be so good next year

1 hour ago, DuncOwl said:

I think you're on a loser here mate.

Firstly you say he always gave the ball away - total bull, as even when he was unfit and had "poor" games, he still rarely gave the ball away

Secondly, you say that you can't build a team around someone based on history... please, for the love of God, tell me how you would build a team around someone.

Finally, I'd like to know your thoughts on Bannan; underachieving waste of space last year, or someone to build our team around?

He might not have misplaced passes but i watch the games and i know for an absolute fact he gave the ball away too many times. Not thorugh misplaced passes but either from poor first touch or being weak in a tackle or 50/50.

I rate Bannan big time. energy tackles chases back beats men, turns and manipulates the ball, drives through the midfield always trying to make something happen with passes. Fantastic player. my gripe with him would be that he goes for the long diagonal hollywood ball probably a bit too often but i do not understand peoples opinions of him on here. 

I live in manchester and often bring a friend to the game as my dad can only come every other week or so and every single one of them comes away from the game raving about bannan.

1 hour ago, DuncOwl said:

I think you're on a loser here mate.

Firstly you say he always gave the ball away - total bull, as even when he was unfit and had "poor" games, he still rarely gave the ball away

Secondly, you say that you can't build a team around someone based on history... please, for the love of God, tell me how you would build a team around someone.

Finally, I'd like to know your thoughts on Bannan; underachieving waste of space last year, or someone to build our team around?

Poor on the left but that game, was it forest or brentford, first half of the season at home. 2 down at half time, came out for the second half with Bannan in the middle and he completely ran the game. got us on the front foot and he was the only reason we won that game. 

What are your thoughts on bannan?

3 minutes ago, Fibonacci91 said:

He might not have misplaced passes but i watch the games and i know for an absolute fact he gave the ball away too many times. Not thorugh misplaced passes but either from poor first touch or being weak in a tackle or 50/50.

I rate Bannan big time. energy tackles chases back beats men, turns and manipulates the ball, drives through the midfield always trying to make something happen with passes. Fantastic player. my gripe with him would be that he goes for the long diagonal hollywood ball probably a bit too often but i do not understand peoples opinions of him on here. 

I live in manchester and often bring a friend to the game as my dad can only come every other week or so and every single one of them comes away from the game raving about bannan.

As I have said before, my non-Wednesday mates all see Bannan as our best player when they watch us.

I do agree with your main point. To choose between Bannan, Lee, Hutch, Jones and Abdi purely on the basis of what we have seen in a Wednesday shirt, Abdi would be last pick. However, he has proven pedigree and reputation, and unless time and injury have taken their toll he must surely be a whole lot better than we have seen this season.

As for "build a team around him"...just nonesense. 

You are referring to Bristol City. 

Starting midfield Reach-Lee-Jones-Bannan (Bannan flipping RM!!!)

Losing nil-two and could have been nil-four

HT

FF-Bannan-Lee-Wallace 

Four players in their best roles and what if you know? Won the half 3-0 and with it the match.

2 hours ago, Fibonacci91 said:

Explain to me where Im going wrong, I'd love to know.

For me i;ve seen a player play really poorly other than 1 maybe 2 games, yet people are saying he WILL be like a new signing and SHOULD be in our first 11 next year.

My point is that i would love Abdi to be the best player in the division, but based on his form for wednesday, it is INSANE to suggest he WILL or SHOULD as opposed to COULD be a top player next season.

Abdi has suffered with injury and suffered with our formation/tactics.

A fit Abdi, playing like he was before coming to S6, and being utilised properly and he WILL be a top player and he SHOULD be in our first 11. However, Abdi MAY suffer with injuries again and/or he may not be utilised properly.

Hope that helps you get the point people are making.

Abdi hasn't become a bad player, he has suffered ( as have others) by being played out of position. If he is to be successful, needs a fundamental shift in attitude from Carlos to put players in their correct positions, rather than continue playing players 'who can do a job' in a certain position. 

Bannan is another example of this, looks a player when played centrally but a shadow of himself when played out wide. We have 4 very good CM's but Carlos needs to learn that they all cannot play a the same time!

1 hour ago, Fibonacci91 said:

Agree totally Bannan is a very very good player and I don't understand some of the negativity towards him, he makes the odd poor pass but has the ability spread the ball all over the field and is a driving force in the team.

The issue may be that the previous season we played a lot quicker and were more attacking minded which used his abilities to the best result, last season the team was set up to play in a more measured way.

I think most championship clubs would snap him up given the chance, we would be a poorer team without him in the squad.

We have seen absolutely no evidence to say that we can beat the top teams in this league playing 442 without Hutch or sometimes Jones playing.

Most of these teams will continue to play 3 strong central midfielders and we can't compete with only 2 in there.

Playing Hutch deep and playing a defensive, counter attacking game and we have managed the odd win

However we will never dominate a game this way

We need to find a system where our best players, and Abdi is one, can thrive and allow us to attack these teams

On 07/06/2017 at 16:21, Groundhopping Owl said:

He was really starting to get into top gear before he got injured. That goal he scored away at Forest... blimey. From what we've seen we've got a player who will effortlessly keep possession ticking over in midfield because he never misplaces a pass. Not afraid to get forward and scare the opposition defence either.

Yes, then away at leeds he was abismal! Got constantly walked past by the leeds midfield and got dragged off at half time

3 hours ago, chizumgeorge said:

Yes, then away at leeds he was abismal! Got constantly walked past by the leeds midfield and got dragged off at half time

he just needs a consistent run of games then we can judge him, who knows if that will happen though

16 hours ago, Blue and white said:

Thats a little bit of a silly notion, he was great for Watford but we signed him and he lost all his ability. You don't become a bad player over night.

Which is the point really. People are thinking he will be good next year because he was good at his previous club

5 hours ago, dewsburyowl58 said:

I take offence to that remark imo you simply haven't got a clue old lad 

Actually, the Port Vale pre season friendly is a very good example of what Abdi can do. He further showed his ability not only in the Forest away game, but on the ocassions he did play, he was neat, tidy in his passing, with an ability to move forward and look to involve the wide players.

Look, I understand people slating him, but I genuinely believe if he stays fit, our midfield is far better with him in the middle of it.

5 hours ago, kendoddsdadsdogsdead said:

Actually, the Port Vale pre season friendly is a very good example of what Abdi can do. He further showed his ability not only in the Forest away game, but on the ocassions he did play, he was neat, tidy in his passing, with an ability to move forward and look to involve the wide players.

Look, I understand people slating him, but I genuinely believe if he stays fit, our midfield is far better with him in the middle of it.

Yes thank you for that , all I'm saying is Abdi as far as I'm concerned is a quality midfielder . I wasn't at Forest so can't use that game as an example . If Carlos is to change tactics slightly and be more forward thinking well  Abdi could well be the answer . 

On his last few games, before his season ending injury I thought he looked the real deal. Brought the ball forward well and dictated the tempo, similar to how bannan does but further up the pitch. Notably this was his first and only spell being played as a central attacking midfielder. A lot of fans I remember were very disappointed to lose him after that.

Abdi has had a tough time at Wednesday, undoubtably, but in his defence he has hardly ever been played in his favoured position and through injuries and being kept out of the team, has not been able to reach peak fitness. It is harsh to write him off.

My concern is that he is not enough of an all round player to play in a 2-man midfield but that can be said about all of our centre mids except Lee (possibly Hutchinson if he stops sitting so deep). Some tough decisions need to be made next season and some good players are going to have to miss out if we want to get a tactical system that works.

Edited by OohAahGuyWhittingham

14 hours ago, kendoddsdadsdogsdead said:

In fairness, he wasn't the only one who played shocking that day :columbo:

Your right he wasnt, but if hes going to be this so called playmaker that everybody on here thinks/ hopes he is hes got to do better. That game was yet another chance to make that position his own after Bannan was dropped and apart from one tackle he was absolutely awful. Only Reach was poorer on that day.

14 hours ago, kendoddsdadsdogsdead said:

All of the above points about his play are correct, but he doesnt work hard enough and he couldnt tackle a big sunday dinner!