Why do people expect Abdi to be so good next year

49 minutes ago, wednesdaywizard said:

I'd love to see him link up with Rhodes.  I reckon he'd play more of the through balls that Rhodes thrives on.

Lots of question marks though on how we will approach next season. 

Abdi in a CM 2 - does it work?

Definitely can't work with Hutch. The gap would be a chasm. BB just about coped with his unbelievable energy levels. Don't see Abdi doing so.

Think we have to see Hutch at CB first. Then it's Lee with either BB or Abdi. Great competition for places there.

18 hours ago, Fibonacci91 said:

Amazed to see two posts on here talking about Abdi and how he will be the midfielder we need next year and how excited they are to see Abdi fit and get a run of games. I would love this to happen and for Abdi to suddenly produce top draw performances for us. But I cannot fathom for a second what people have seen to suggest that this WILL happen.

I would like nothing more than a top draw midfielder that we don’t even need to spend money on as he is already at the club. However, I have not seen anything from him to suggest that WILL happen.

Surely this is simply a case of Wednesday fans wanting a fashionable big money signing to get into the side. It’s a bit pathetic really.

Again, I would love nothing more than for Abdi to suddenly be a top class championship midfielder.

For me he's been carry an injury, said it early on last season that I thought he had an issue with his shoulder and he did have, think we bought a crock so hopefully that might of cleared up? 

19 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Well, you can say the same about Jordan Rhodes, and he cost a heck of a lot more Suppose what I'm trying to say is, both players have been game changers for their previous clubs, but both require something different tactically to be able to show their best.

This.

Both have done the business at previous clubs and both have come to Hillsborough either carrying an injury (Abdi) or lacking game time (Rhodes). Both have also suffered from our approach to games last season too.

I would hope that a full pre-season, both players will be fitter and stronger for the forthcoming season, and of course we all hope to see Wednesday play more like Carlos' first season than his second season, which should see Abdi and Rhodes perform better.

39 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Lots of question marks though on how we will approach next season. 

Abdi in a CM 2 - does it work?

Definitely can't work with Hutch. The gap would be a chasm. BB just about coped with his unbelievable energy levels. Don't see Abdi doing so.

Think we have to see Hutch at CB first. Then it's Lee with either BB or Abdi. Great competition for places there.

I think that's the point.  Abdi needs a work horse around him to free him up to open the doors.  Whether we have capacity for that is another thing.  i'd like to see him get a good run though.

Hopefully this transfer window will give us a better idea of what our plans are for Abdi. Dare I say, this is the most important transfer window in the history of our club. We have spent an unprecedented amount of money, for us anyway, and have gathered together large squad of players who know what it takes to be successful at this level.

In my opinion, last season's transfer dealings only served to confuse the issue. That's not to say that the players brought in, were not good players, most were. However, they perhaps weren't the right players for the system Carlos seems to want to play.

To compound the problem, not only were some of the big signings not perhaps what was required, we also failed to bring in the missing ingredients that might have bound the whole thing together.

Now we must add those 4 or 5 players we are lacking, players that will enable us to impose our game on our opponents. Until Carlos shows his hand, it's hard for us to see what his intention are regarding next season's line up, and the way we might set up.

Get the window right, and we should have a squad capable of reaching the promised land, without the lottery of the play offs.

Get it wrong again, and we will have a large collection of talented individuals, but missing the key elements needed to make the next step. That's when the whole project could start to fall apart. Hopefully we've learnt our lessons, and this summer's signings will be the glue that bonds the whole thing together

Edited by gurujuan

17 hours ago, Ronio said:

There's no denying Abdi is a top quality player.  It's a shame injuries have held him back last season.  

We've spent over 4 million on him, so hopefully we can get him back to the form he had at Watford.

He will be like a new signing for us next season.  

This !

i remember one game early in the season where we were struggling at home drawing 1-1. Bannan was playing in a back 3 as per and we were going nowhere. Abdi replaced Bannan in a 442 the entire side moved up the field 20 yards and abdi didn't do anything spectacular was just available and kept things ticking over with intellectual forward passes. 

We went on to win comfortably 3-1 I believe and that was what he will bring to the side. 

Guest wilyfox

Fantastic player. Play him or sell him. Had his injuries, but wasn't utilised fully even when fit. I don't like wasted talent in a Wednesday shirt. Abdi's limited impact last season was a crime. 

17 hours ago, Philb125 said:

I'm honestly expecting Abdi to be a top player next season. Not sure if that will be for us or someone else but I'm fairly sure he'll be fit and firing. 

Sane could be said for 2/3 others in terms of fullpre seadon and hit ground running. Him, Hooper, Rhodes, Lee, maybe even Matias... a boy can dream.

He hasnt shown anything to suggest this. To say he could be a good player is fine, but to expect him to be a good player with no evidence of this is insane

16 hours ago, Blue and white said:

Because when fully fit and played to his strengths he is head and shoulders above anything we have in midfield.

Hasnt shown any evidence of that so to say it is insane. You might say, he has shown quality and COULD be better than our current midfielders. But to say he is when he simply hasnt shown that in his perofrmances for wednesday (and please dont bring up the one game where he played well against forest, i get it, he played well that ay and scored a goal, get over it its one game.), is just quite idiotic

13 hours ago, dewsburyowl58 said:

It was only Port Vale at home at  the start of last season but from what I saw of him in that game

made me realise we had a very good player , he bossed that game for me , nothing outstanding

just good forward movement  and simple passing , and I was well impressed , still waiting though a year on !!!!

Port Vale at home, if thats your only evidence dont come back here, embarassing

1 minute ago, Fibonacci91 said:

Hasnt shown any evidence of that so to say it is insane. You might say, he has shown quality and COULD be better than our current midfielders. But to say he is when he simply hasnt shown that in his perofrmances for wednesday (and please dont bring up the one game where he played well against forest, i get it, he played well that ay and scored a goal, get over it its one game.), is just quite idiotic

Words fail me, the stupidity of some people is beyond belief.

20 minutes ago, Blue and white said:

Words fail me, the stupidity of some people is beyond belief.

Explain to me where Im going wrong, I'd love to know.

For me i;ve seen a player play really poorly other than 1 maybe 2 games, yet people are saying he WILL be like a new signing and SHOULD be in our first 11 next year.

My point is that i would love Abdi to be the best player in the division, but based on his form for wednesday, it is INSANE to suggest he WILL or SHOULD as opposed to COULD be a top player next season.

For what's it's worth, I think he's an okay player but not fantastic.

His movement wasn't as good as I expected and he made too many unforced errors, even before he got injured.

Not a Lopez by any stretch of the imagination. 

I think you're on a loser here mate.

Firstly you say he always gave the ball away - total bull, as even when he was unfit and had "poor" games, he still rarely gave the ball away

Secondly, you say that you can't build a team around someone based on history... please, for the love of God, tell me how you would build a team around someone.

Finally, I'd like to know your thoughts on Bannan; underachieving waste of space last year, or someone to build our team around?

Will be another year older and not convinced he has the engine or desire on his last big contract to play a high mileage game in a 4.

Probably wants to play holding midfield in space where he can spray it about, hes probably a luxury player to bring on to retain possession now.

Like matias great technique but weak physically, injury prone and may only contribute something from wide midfield due to likely gaps he would leave in centre mid.

Has the ability to come good but has been a poor signing so far imo

2 hours ago, Dutch McLovin said:

This !

i remember one game early in the season where we were struggling at home drawing 1-1. Bannan was playing in a back 3 as per and we were going nowhere. Abdi replaced Bannan in a 442 the entire side moved up the field 20 yards and abdi didn't do anything spectacular was just available and kept things ticking over with intellectual forward passes. 

We went on to win comfortably 3-1 I believe and that was what he will bring to the side. 

I think this captures the point well. Hutch is great but plays too deep and BB, also great player, too often gets under the feet of his centre backs when he drops to get the ball. Abdi has the ability to do the damage in the middle and in the attacking third. Someone said earlier he needs a general next to him in the middle if he plays 442. This may be Kieren Lee, also a great footballer, but I don't think he offers enough protection when defending. I'm sure we'll see a different player this year when he's fit.