Summer 2017 non-mega transfer thread

3 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

What at the start of the season?

1st September... think I jumped on the bandwagon of their solid start even though looking at my posting history I said they'd be "much improved" at the beginning of August (albeit not a promotion threat... whoops :biggrin:) and then tipped them for the play-offs by the end of August.

I'm not convinced that 6/5 is right... I know I cashed out of it a couple of weeks before the play-offs actually happened because I was short of cash and I wasn't missing out on much of my winnings by cashing out as it was very obvious they were going to finish in the top 6 by that point, so maybe the odds being shown are when I cashed out rather than placed the bet? No idea how it works

Edited by StudentOwl

9 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

Huddersfield certainly took a gamble in some ways. Signing a number of players from another league can go either way. 

Exactly and that's the point I was making alot of people tipped them for relegation and they would have been a shorter price for relegation then promotion.

1 minute ago, StudentOwl said:

1st September... think I jumped on the bandwagon of their solid start even though looking at my posting history I said they'd be "much improved" at the beginning of August (albeit not a promotion threat... whoops :biggrin:) and then tipped them for the play-offs by the end of August.

I'm not convinced that 6/5 is right... I know I cashed out of it a couple of weeks before the play-offs actually happened because I was short of cash and I wasn't missing out on much of my winnings by cashing out as it was very obvious they were going to finish in the top 6 by that point, so maybe the odds being shown are when I cashed out rather than placed the bet? No idea how it works

6-5 would have been about right at the start of September. before season probably talking 5-1. 

Smart money was with them after seeing there start. point is you wouldn't have predicted how they would have done before the season started.

Just now, pazowl55 said:

6-5 would have been about right at the start of September. before season probably talking 5-1. 

Smart money was with them after seeing there start. point is you wouldn't have predicted how they would have done before the season started.

Eh, before the season started I thought they'd be upper mid-table, kind of like 8th ish.

Definitely partially agree with you, I don't think anyone reasonable would have anticipated their promotion before the season start... but you could tell they were making some excellent signings and would have a much improved season. 

Also in terms of general recruitment, I'm pretty sure they completed the vast majority of their signings before the transfer window started so they had a full pre-season with their new squad. Obviously this is less a point specific to our convo and more just a general one... but that probably did a lot to contribute to their excellent start. Ifs, buts and maybies eh... gambles or not, their signings were foreign lads done on the cheap and they managed to identify individuals that would adapt and thrive in the English game. Still something that seems beyond us. 

2 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

Eh, before the season started I thought they'd be upper mid-table, kind of like 8th ish.

Definitely partially agree with you, I don't think anyone reasonable would have anticipated their promotion before the season start... but you could tell they were making some excellent signings and would have a much improved season. 

Also in terms of general recruitment, I'm pretty sure they completed the vast majority of their signings before the transfer window started so they had a full pre-season with their new squad. Obviously this is less a point specific to our convo and more just a general one... but that probably did a lot to contribute to their excellent start. Ifs, buts and maybies eh... gambles or not, their signings were foreign lads done on the cheap and they managed to identify individuals that would adapt and thrive in the English game. Still something that seems beyond us. 

Think it's more to do will Klopp junior if I am honest and unleashing the gegenpress on a Championship that just wasn't prepared for it.

1 minute ago, mogbad said:

Before the season started I wouldn't have put money on Huddersfield or Reading being in the play offs.

I did a decent job apparently (I'm going off an end of August post as I can't really remember what I thought just before the season started and it's the earliest one I can find of me making guestimates!)

I said the three relegated teams, us, Brighton, Fulham and Huddersfield would be battling it out for the top 6. So massively got Aston Villa wrong but other than that not bad!

Then we get to my 'dark horses' I wanted to throw into the mix... Wolves (with the stipulation of "if they gel") and then QPR... :biggrin:

Definitely a mixed bag... I got 6 of the top 8 right I guess... but I feel most of those were blindingly obvious lol 

1 hour ago, Mr. Wednesday said:

That's true but same could be said before last season started and we ended up finishing higher. In a similar way, the same could be said for Brighton before last season started, they stayed stable and didn't make many changes like us this summer and they went on to finish in the top 2.

We have brought lots of players in the past couple of years, we've already got a top 6 level squad. Adding Boyd improves that, a couple more quality players like him and we'll be up to top 2 standard I reckon, and not making many changes unlike most of the other contenders should be an advantage for our chances.

not sure we have improved the same amount as last year though. Still time though

6 hours ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

Think Forest's problems was the owner lost interest when Pearce and McLeish didn't work out and they got hit with FFP embargo. Had he appointed a good manager in the first place and built a squad capable of winning promotion, then they would be in a different position now - FFP or no FFP.

Obviously, FFP rules have changed since Forest too. Clubs now have 3 seasons before the embargo comes, and that is plenty of time for owners who want to go for it and spend to get promoted. Forest only got 1 season.

Agreed with the last paragraph - nowt can really be done if you win promotion and that to me suggests FFP wouldn't have any real force even if a Championship team challenged the embargo all the way.

Can't remember what happened to Bournemouth, did they get a fine?

1 minute ago, Andoverowl said:

Can't remember what happened to Bournemouth, did they get a fine?

Absolutely nothing! Being in the Premier League they are out of the FL duristriction so no punishment - like QPR during their Premier League season. Might be a different matter if Bournemouth get relegated, though I very much doubt there will be a punishment awaiting them! 

The fact that we've got a settled group counts for alot. If we can get more out of Abdi, Lee and Hooper next season, we're able to compete for a top two spot. 

We've added Boyd to the mix, and we will improve on CBs.

Still more than a month left of the window. Remember Pudil, FF and Bannan all signed after the 15/16 season had started. All made immediate impact. 

3 minutes ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

Absolutely nothing! Being in the Premier League they are out of the FL duristriction so no punishment - like QPR during their Premier League season. Might be a different matter if Bournemouth get relegated, though I very much doubt there will be a punishment awaiting them! 

The Fl will be like "punishment? What punishment?"

2 minutes ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

Therefore it's a massive gamble although looking at the way some clubs are spending they are definitely going for it.

5 minutes ago, Andoverowl said:

Therefore it's a massive gamble although looking at the way some clubs are spending they are definitely going for it.

Wolves may have signed a load but getting a team together that gels is another matter. We already have a team that knows each other get our CB sorted and we will be in the mix again.

1 minute ago, Big Jack said:

Wolves may have signed a load but getting a team together that gels is another matter. We already have a team that knows each other get our CB sorted and we will be in the mix again.

Agreed mate I was just highlighting the reckless spending of some clubs during this window.