Summer 2017 non-mega transfer thread

2 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

No, too true... it'd be a mad thing to do. But we have seen chairman's do more bizarre/foolish things in English football over the last 5/10 years. That isn't me implying it has happened, far from it, got absolutely zero reason to believe he has and truthfully I would be very very surprised if that has been the case... but it certainly isn't an impossibility. 

What a load of bo11ocks. 

Just now, StudentOwl said:

What bit? The bit where I said I'd be surprised if it's happened or the bit where I said there have been some mad chairmen over the last 5/10 years?

The idea that all our summer transfer budget was blown in January. 

Bloody crackpot theory. 

Pretty sure the lad at work who works in copying has come out with something similar. 

Just to back up that point: 

- 3 million pound bid for Morrison rejected. 

- We got the thumbs up to speak to a player last Friday, but the player decided he didn't want to drop down to the Championship. 

So there's clearly some money there, but we are struggling to find the right player at the right price. 

3 minutes ago, SiJ said:

The idea that all our summer transfer budget was blown in January. 

Bloody crackpot theory. 

Pretty sure the lad at work who works in copying has come out with something similar. 

I said that I'd be very surprised if that's the case, but at the same time conceded that there have been chairmen in the game recently that have done far more irresponsible things so it isn't completely impossible?

I see nowt bo11ocks about that statement?

1 minute ago, SiJ said:

See above post. 

Another reason why I don't ascribe to it

But I would ask as to whether we have the resources to pump £5/6m into a top CB which seems to be the going rate. Is our slowness/frugality a matter of excellent business principles and determination to find the best deal and make out like we don't have as much money as we do? Or is it a case the budget just can't stretch enough so we're having to shop exclusively in that market now?

Time will tell, at the moment I'm putting faith that the management team can deliver the player we need before it's too late... but at the same time I'm acutely aware that it could be a case of the latter and we're going to be relying on a deadline day deal or loan

7 minutes ago, SiJ said:

We got the thumbs up to speak to a player last Friday, but the player decided he didn't want to drop down to the Championship. 

So there's clearly some money there, but we are struggling to find the right player at the right price. 

For all we know that might have been a loan deal.

14 minutes ago, SiJ said:

No...but you are a serial whinger. 

So ideally you'd like four more signings. Squad is still full of options despite that. 

Two center backs are the priority. 

A midfielder with a bit of presence would be nice. We ain't going to be playing with pacey wingers, so you can forget that one. 

You don't even f#####g know me fella so where this sudden judgement as come from, maybe because I've disagreed with you over stuff but you need to discover in life people will actually have a different opinion to yourself.

How do we know we ain't going to splash 6 million on a centre back. Only because it seems like we got no money by not getting one straight away don't mean we don't.  

Perhaps we just think the 5- 6 million fees quoted for players at the moment are to steep for the players they are.

Doesn't mean if we got offered Ayala or Bartley for 6 million next week we ain't going to take their hand off.

Don't mistake having patience to get value mixed up with being skint.

Edited by pazowl55

2 hours ago, Hawkeye said:

If the squad value is £53m now, the outlay since DC arrived was £31m net.

The value of the squad in 2014/15 was £15m, which is flawed as it includes loan players. True value is more like £10m.

Majority of Wednesday signings in the last 3 seasons are worth more now than what we paid for them. If we sold Forestieri and Lees, initial outlay of £4m, we'd likely recoup at least £12m.

*all stats and figures from transfermarkt, may not be 100% accurate

Thanks for that. Gives context.

4 minutes ago, Coyt said:

You don't even f#####g know me fella so where this sudden judgement as come from, maybe because I've disagreed with you over stuff but you need to discover in life people will actually have a different opinion to yourself.

Seriously? 

I called you a serial whinger. It's really nothing to get so worked up about. 

You're entitled to you opinion. 

Dom Howson @domhowson 5m

Carvalhal said he is not "desperate" to sign a new centre-back. Says #SWFC have not found the "correct one" yet.

Dom Howson @domhowson 5m

CC revealed he and his staff have looked at more than 200 centre-backs this summer. Have checked out England and foreign markets. #SWFC

Dom Howson @domhowson 5m

CC said: "We are not desperate even though everybody knows we need centre-backs. These kind of things take time." #SWFC

Dom Howson @domhowson 5m

CC: "We don't want to make mistakes. We have had chances to bring in centre-halves but we have not found the correct ones." #SWFC

1 hour ago, Tamworthowl said:

Actually it does.

Getting a quality centre back to replace Loovens would give confidence to the midfield to push up field a bit more (or for us to play two more attack minded midfielders) thereby creating more/better chances for the forwards.

A good defence starts up front and a good attack is built on a solid defence.

There's a huge difference between replacing our current starting 11 with better players - which is the scenario described above - and the statement of us being ill prepared for the season start because we haven't signed a new centre back.

I don't necessarily disagree with your point about loovens and the team moving upfield. I'd contend that with hooper in the side, our link up play improved immensely.  We could start the season with any two of loovens, Lees or hutch at centre back, and with a balanced attack of hooper and Rhodes, for example, we'd be miles better than last year.

Although again, all I commented on was that starting the season with those three wasn't that bad. Why that means I think Rhodes would score 25+ isn't clear.

2 minutes ago, steelcityowlsfan said:

Sign squad fillers now or wait till nearer the deadline when we might get the likes of Bartley, Caulker or Hanley. 

Its a gamble to wait but a gamble that could prove decisive. 

But why couldn't we sign the likes of Bartley etc at the start of July?

Because we're too close to FFP? Maybe, but I don't go along with that theory.

Because the selling clubs want to get an auction going? We'll surely that's a bad thing for us. And we should have paid up to avoid it. Think Curtis Davis to Derby for £500k. 

Because the selling club might actual want to keep their player and/or are waiting for replacements? That's a possibility. But we could force the issue with a take it or leave it offer. Perhaps we did for Morrison, have we for the better targets?

Because we want to wait until the last minute when the seller might be getting desperate to get rid, so will take a lower the price? I think this is the most likely answer, but as you say, it's a gamble. A gamble that could cost us dearly.

If, for the sake of say an extra £2m we had been able to get Bartley or Caulker in early it could be worth three or four points compared to getting him last minute. Or many more points if we miss out entirely. That would be seen as good value.

Of course none of us knows what negotiations are going on, but I would have pushed the boat out to get a quality centre back in over a month ago.

8 minutes ago, s6 owl said:

Dom Howson @domhowson 5m

Carvalhal said he is not "desperate" to sign a new centre-back. Says #SWFC have not found the "correct one" yet.

Dom Howson @domhowson 5m

CC revealed he and his staff have looked at more than 200 centre-backs this summer. Have checked out England and foreign markets. #SWFC

Dom Howson @domhowson 5m

CC said: "We are not desperate even though everybody knows we need centre-backs. These kind of things take time." #SWFC

Dom Howson @domhowson 5m

CC: "We don't want to make mistakes. We have had chances to bring in centre-halves but we have not found the correct ones." #SWFC

CC can't win really, he rushes in and takes a risk and it's 'his transfer policy / selection is terrible, we need a DoF'. (Even though according to some DC signs the players without any input from CC)

Takes his time and gets slated for that. 

Personslly, I'd prefer to get the right player and use Lees, Loovens, and Hutch. 

Edited by Rogers