New ground or refurbishment?

The issues with the stadium are surely only on the leppings lane side? As this is where the segregation and problems have previously been is it not (with SAG)?

Redevelopment on the kop corners can be done and we have a recent video of that for when we made the World Cup bid. 

I don't see why we cannot keep Hillsborough, unless DC wants to add retail units, coffee shops and that kind of stuff.

Edited by iliveinthenow

The other point that needs to be considered is what realistic alternative sites are there?

If Hillsborough is a 10 acre site (no idea if true but that figure was mentioned above), then realistically we would probably need a site double the size to include other facilities, not least a decent amount of parking. On top of that it will have to have excellent transport links (good road access in several directions, possibly rail access and maybe even a link to the tram network).

Where is such a large site available that meets all those criteria?

Parkwood doesn't work, roads no better (maybe even worse) than Hillsborough, so realistically you are probably left with something around Meadowhall or the old airport.

Pah. Didn't see this thread. just put it in the other. 

Going to double post it anyway.

----------------------------------------------------------

No need to leave! 

No automatic alt text available.

It just needs,......

.......well..........

............... turning around a little bit. 

Shame Stevie May left really, he could have tied rope the four corners and turned it like a giant crane from the back of his winged shark horse. 

Still...

Not impossible though is it?

I mean, I'm no expert, but how hard can it be.  Whip it round a few degrees.

Bit of block paving and some food huts. 

Extend a big new KOP over the road. Flatten EMR Sheffield, we'll have that carpark too.  We could use it as a drive in movie theatre at night to.

Show the greatest ever Wednesday matches. and imagine that. 

Drive in movie theatre.....of live streamed away matches on some illegal stream.  £3 a pop.  Girls in roller boots dropping off hot dogs to your car window. 

Marvelous.

A new underpass under the extended new KOP stand. 

Lovely. Job done. 

Could even have one of those glass viewing panels in the new fan zone , like at the top of Blackpool tower.....y;know, so people can look down into the river.  Or down into the watery dungeon which I have caged the members of SAG in. Haven't really decided on that yet. They're the finer details.  

new stand.png

an acre measures 70yd x 70yd 

football pitch is approx 70 x 100

an acre of land for residential building equates to £1m per acre.

i would guesstimate that the ground and surrounding facilities equate to approx 4 to 5 acres, 

so we would be looking at £5m at least for the land as real estate

edit. all approx, im not an estate agent or housebuilder

Had a quick look earlier but never realised it had a roof. Any idea what it looked like before it was refurbished? Was it a sizeable stadium before?

Was refurbished as a multipurpose stadium for concerts etc., hence the roof.

Even held the 2001 Eurovision song contest.

Summat we need to be looking at for extra revenue.

Concerts I mean , not Eurovision.

My understanding was that the Wednesdayite car park land had been bought by Jaguar Estates & was going to be re-developed for retail purposes.  DC was offered the land when he first bought us but wasn't interested.

Going back to the OP my heart says stay at a redeveloped Hillsborough but my head says that a redeveloped Hillsborough on land with no scope to expand outwards won't maximise revenues & provide enough facilities or modern day requirements.

Obviously a new stadium will cost more initially but if DC is here for the long haul & wants to hand over the club to his children then the extra revenues generated by a new stadium would be the way to go.

How long would it take to redevelop Hillsborough, 3 to 4 years maybe. That's 3 to 4 years with a reduced ground capacity & Premier level incomes. 

The other point that needs to be considered is what realistic alternative sites are there?

If Hillsborough is a 10 acre site (no idea if true but that figure was mentioned above), then realistically we would probably need a site double the size to include other facilities, not least a decent amount of parking. On top of that it will have to have excellent transport links (good road access in several directions, possibly rail access and maybe even a link to the tram network).

Parkwood doesn't work, roads no better (maybe even worse) than Hillsborough, so realistically you are probably left with something around Meadowhall or the old airport.

I was thinking about this last night. Ive yet to see anyone who wants to move come up with a realistic site for a new stadium. 

A regulation football field is according to Google 1.03 acres so can't see 10 acres being accurate

I was thinking about this last night. Ive yet to see anyone who wants to move come up with a realistic site for a new stadium. 

the only viable land has got to be up by the airport/catcliffe

still not ideal for transport (except access to M1)

would need train and tram infrastructure adding

My understanding was that the Wednesdayite car park land had been bought by Jaguar Estates & was going to be re-developed for retail purposes.  DC was offered the land when he first bought us but wasn't interested.

Going back to the OP my heart says stay at a redeveloped Hillsborough but my head says that a redeveloped Hillsborough on land with no scope to expand outwards won't maximise revenues & provide enough facilities or modern day requirements.

Obviously a new stadium will cost more initially but if DC is here for the long haul & wants to hand over the club to his children then the extra revenues generated by a new stadium would be the way to go.

How long would it take to redevelop Hillsborough, 3 to 4 years maybe. That's 3 to 4 years with a reduced ground capacity & Premier level incomes. 

We are used to that with SAG , we wont notice any difference.