David Hirst resigns from Sheffield Wednesday

Maybe it's just a case of Wednesday valuing Hirst at £3m/£4m and the Hirst 'team' are asking for wages in line with such a valuation. If other clubs are offering such money, the situation could get toxic. 

Difficult to argue against such a wage request, and it will interesting to see what kind of clauses, if any, we have in the contract. 

I would argue that the value would be based on his best years being ahead of him and his future sell on worth, that doesn't mean his wages at 18 having not made a single start in a professional league should reflect that now.

I would argue that the value would be based on his best years being ahead of him and his future sell on worth, that doesn't mean his wages at 18 having not made a single start in a professional league should reflect that now.

Don't underestimate how much money these Premier League clubs have. A £3m and £20k per wk gamble is nothing, for an English player who is very close to the top of his peer group. I think restrictions will come in soon where clubs need a minimum quota of English players in the team, and this will push the prices higher. 

Don't underestimate how much money these Premier League clubs have. A £3m and £20k per wk gamble is nothing, for an English player who is very close to the top of his peer group. I think restrictions will come in soon where clubs need a minimum quota of English players in the team, and this will push the prices higher. 

I completely agree with you, being saying exactly that in another thread. 

I thought you were suggesting that Wednesday should pay him a wage now in line with the valuation to keep him - something we simply can't afford.

Plus Brexit of course, which may mean non full internationals from current eu partners cannot come in. We need to keep hold of hirst for another 2 years. 

You might validly argue that George would be better off at e.g. City or Chelsea, even if his ultimate future isn't in their first team. And his immediate earning power would obviously increase.

But, as far as I can tell, nobody made him sign a professional contract mere months ago. 

Edited by WC1Owl

I completely agree with you, being saying exactly that in another thread. 

I thought you were suggesting that Wednesday should pay him a wage now in line with the valuation to keep him - something we simply can't afford.

There is an argument to say that we should, but as a football club we are not in that position, at present. It's a bit like Sam Winnall. The football food chain meant we won. Bigger club, bigger wages. If Everton or Arsenal do come in, Hirst goes. 

There is an argument to say that we should, but as a football club we are not in that position, at present. It's a bit like Sam Winnall. The football food chain meant we won. Bigger club, bigger wages. If Everton or Arsenal do come in, Hirst goes. 

But what's the incentive to sell at this point? He's presumably not a big drain on the wage bill, and is potentially one good season in the Championship away from an eight figure valuation. Why would the club jeopardise that, especially now that they don't have another family member on the payroll?

But what's the incentive to sell at this point? He's presumably not a big drain on the wage bill, and is potentially one good season in the Championship away from an eight figure valuation. Why would the club jeopardise that, especially now that they don't have another family member on the payroll?

What is the length of his contract at the moment and what are the rules at that age if we don't want to sell.

If the above are in our favour then I agree with you, that might be part of the reason his dad has fell out with the club.

Papers reported 2 1/2 years last spring.

As he'll be under 24 when the contract expires, he still won't be able to register for another club without that club paying us compensation. While he's in contract, he's bound to us unless we release him or agree a transfer.

As far as I can see, that's an exhaustive survey of the negotiating position. George has no leverage to get an improved contract or a move. he can't refuse to play for the first team because he's nowhere near the first team. He could refuse to play for the U23s, but who would care?

Edited by WC1Owl

Papers reported 2 1/2 years last spring.

As he'll be under 24 when the contract expires, he still won't be able to register for another club without that club paying us compensation. While he's in contract, he's bound to us unless we release him or agree a transfer.

As far as I can see, that's an exhaustive survey of the negotiating position. George has no leverage to get an improved contract or a move. he can't refuse to play for the first team because he's nowhere near the first team. He could refuse to play for the U23s, but who would care?

So he's got around 18 months left on his contract?

George hirst is one of best young players in the country. If his dad is trying to get him a move away then, sadly, I don't want his dad working for the club. 

Which bit of conflict of interest do you not understand...he can't work for the club and negotiate any contract for Gearge at the same time..it leaves him, the club and George open to any claims of wrong doing. To be fair he should have realised it before now as soon as he started to represent George