26 minutes ago, Fibonacci91 said:

I think thats a completely mental thing to say. The way he controls the ball his first touch, the way he beats a man without even touching the ball the way he manipulates it, he can . beat a man has a great range of passing, puts himself about for a small guy constantly making big slide tackles down the flanks when helping out his winger/full back.

He dictates the tempo of games for us and that is why regardless of what anyone says on here, he will start for us next season. Carlos knows his qualities.

Team of the year in centre mid last season, one of the two best central midfield players in the division as voted for by the players. 

His poor first touch is what nearly cost him a red card, having to chase his own gaff which happens all too often. 

He really doesnt dictate the tempo at all, teams often run rings round him and his shooting ability for an attacking midfielder is dreadful.

I dont think hes a bad player just one for me that we need to improve on.

13 minutes ago, Hack-Abusi said:

He is a decent player - he's just a bit inconsistent. If he was that good, he'd be plying his trade in the prem but he aint.

He's lightweight and has a tendency to either slow play down dramatically, or play the ridiculous Hollywood pass instead of playing it simple.

This season he hasn't hit the heights of last year. He was a very good player last term but this season he seems to have lost a bit of the drive and energy he had.

Played in a 3 in the centre last season.

Plays in a 2 in the centre or on the left this season. 

1 minute ago, OxonOwl said:

We have had similar situations with other players - if he had all the attributes people say he lacks, he wouldn't be playing for us

Yep.

We've had Shelvey and Mooy held up as examples of the standard of midfielder we should be looking at, but they're very, very difficult to come by: Shelvey is a Premier League-standard player who cost £12m and Mooy stands an outside chance of getting a game for Man City next season. They're the exception rather than the rule at this level.

Bannan is a quality player, the likes of whom we've been missing for the past decade and a half. Rather than criticise him for what he lacks, I'd rather praise him for what he offers. As you say: if he weren't lacking in certain areas, he wouldn't be a Wednesday player in the first place, would he!?

I can understand both sides of the argument on BB

I rate Bannan highly... Though perhaps not as highly as he seems to rate himself at times. He suffers from a well known character flaw of "believing his own hype".

When he's in a run of good form, he seems to get carried away, I'm sure sometimes he's just trying to look like Xavi, or get himself on Showboat on next weeks Soccer AM.

He has all the attributes to be a top, top player IMO, when he channels them correctly, like he did the 2nd half of last season, he really makes the team tick.

But when he tries too hard to look the part and it doesn't come off he can be the most frustrating player to watch.

In his defense, i think he's struggled to adapt to be deeper role he seems to have been asked to play this season

45 minutes ago, Fibonacci91 said:

He dictates the tempo of games for us

Yep, and that's why we've been god awful for a couple of months, because he's just not done enough, especially in the absence of Lee.

He's had it right in the last 2 games though, that pass over the top for Hooper that led to the Fletcher horror miss chance was superb, hopefully now with Hooper back and linking things up between midfield and attack, we'll see more of that and less of the  "Cruyff turn, pass to Loovens" move that he's been doing too much of this season.

I don't rate him as highly as you clearly do, but he's a lot better than what we've seen this year, here's to a strong finish to the season.

Guest BULGARIA
52 minutes ago, james o connor said:

I think he is very average and a weak link in our team. Having said that, He improved as the game went on against Newcastle and right now hes all we have. 

If I can get behind him anybody can ! 

A weak link!!  Thats so so harsh. Most good things we do go through bannan. No world beater but to say he our weak link is crazy. Most games i watch he is always the one in the thick of the action, never hides and makes things happen.

BB

Ability to see and pick out a telling pass. Excellent.

Making himself available for pass. Good.

Energy. High.

Tackling. Poor, could have seen a red card against Newcastle. At other times he is too easily passed by.

Shooting. Poor.

Physical presence. Poor, is never going to dominate in the air or on the ground.

Tempo. Can be infuriatingly slow and always liable to get caught in possession.

Verdict. An excellent first season followed by a patchy second.  Can be infuriating. Probably time to be looking for an upgrade in the summer.

1 hour ago, Fibonacci91 said:

I think thats a completely mental thing to say. The way he controls the ball his first touch, the way he beats a man without even touching the ball the way he manipulates it, he can . beat a man has a great range of passing, puts himself about for a small guy constantly making big slide tackles down the flanks when helping out his winger/full back.

He dictates the tempo of games for us and that is why regardless of what anyone says on here, he will start for us next season. Carlos knows his qualities.

Team of the year in centre mid last season, one of the two best central midfield players in the division as voted for by the players. 

His first touch nearly (should have ), got him sent off.

Played superbly last year when trying to earn a long term contract, got that and became one of Carlos' favourites because of those performances. He's got comfortable and this has led to mediocre performances throughout this season. Really talented footballer but needs to step up a bit more especially with our injury situation he's the key man in midfield. Didn't rate him at all Saturday if I'm honest 

3 hours ago, Fibonacci91 said:

He was poor first half of the season, however that is because he wa splayed on the left. 

Since Lees injury he has gone through phases. However generally when Hutchinson has been there next to him as opposed to Jones he has been excellent. 

You only have to look at that game earlier in the season, I think it was Bristol. 2 down at half time. Bannan gets put in the middle in the second half as opposed to the left in the first. He totally ran the second half for us and won us that game. You'd have to be a total idiot to disagree with me.

then i'm in the total idiot camp i'm afraid

Bannan has been poor this season in fact he's been poor since being sent off at forest last season with an odd sprinkling of good games in between

Barry had a good season last year and much of that on the left of midfield

I just hope he can play his way through this but at the moment if Lee comes back BB would be the one to miss out

Fully agree that he had a good game, although if his tackle on Ritchie was thenother way around people would have been saying it was a red, but when does Bannan get criticism? 

People treat him like a god when he's pretty average for this division.