King Of Thailand Tribute - Bit weird?

Guest The Claw
On ‎20‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 14:57, Sam779 said:

http://mobile.swfc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/owls-tribute-to-thai-king-on-saturday-3374033.aspx

Sheffield Wednesday, in a show of unity and reverence for our chairman Dejphon Chansiri and the people of Thailand, will mark the recent passing of King Bhumibol Adulyadej at Saturday’s home game against Queens Park Rangers.

The king of Thailand, aged 88, was the longest reigning monarch in the world, with 70 years on the throne. 

Just prior to kick-off, supporters will be asked to stand in silence and pay their respects whilst the royal anthem of Thailand - Sansoen Phra Barami - is played on the big screen, which will also display images of King Bhumibol Adulyade. 

As they did at Huddersfield last Sunday, the Wednesday players will wear black armbands for today’s fixture, while the flags at Hillsborough will fly at half-mast for the remainder of a 30-day mourning period since the king’s passing. 

Our sympathies remain with Mr Chansiri, his family and friends, and everyone in Thailand at this extremely difficult time.

not your place to judge kid

Guest Deleted member

It was indeed a very surreal experience, seeing 25k people standing in silence for someone 99.9% of them wouldn't have known if he'd been sat beside them at the previous home game.

I also too imagine that many people stayed silent and showed respect to our Chairman, not to the King. In a small way it was a way of giving a tiny little something back for what he's done for us in such a short time.

Don't really understand the problem

I don't think anyone lost any sleep over the tribute, I just found it all a bit surreal.

Stood for plenty of minutes silences and many for people I don't know but I think it was the music that made it strange.

I also have to say I really dislike modern football where clubs have become 'brands' and don't really want Sheffield Wednesday to become a 'brand' in another country thousands of miles away. Yes I know this is modern football where as many 'revenue stream' as possible are important.

32 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

I don't think anyone lost any sleep over the tribute, I just found it all a bit surreal.

Stood for plenty of minutes silences and many for people I don't know but I think it was the music that made it strange.

I also have to say I really dislike modern football where clubs have become 'brands' and don't really want Sheffield Wednesday to become a 'brand' in another country thousands of miles away. Yes I know this is modern football where as many 'revenue stream' as possible are important.

the music made it for me matt ...surreal dont even come close .

2 hours ago, Grandad said:

It was indeed a very surreal experience, seeing 25k people standing in silence for someone 99.9% of them wouldn't have known if he'd been sat beside them at the previous home game.

I also too imagine that many people stayed silent and showed respect to our Chairman, not to the King. In a small way it was a way of giving a tiny little something back for what he's done for us in such a short time.

Don't really understand the problem

How is that anymore surreal than any other minutes silence/applause then? 

Every single minutes silence before it has been for someone 99% of people in the ground wouldn't have known if they were sat next to them, it's just respect and that's it to me. 

Every single minutes silence I've ever stood for at a game has been for someone I've known as much as I've known the king of Thailand. 

Edited by RichieB

2 hours ago, RichieB said:

Every single minutes silence before it has been for someone 99% of people in the ground wouldn't have known if they were sat next to them, it's just respect and that's it to me. 

Every single minutes silence I've ever stood for at a game has been for someone I've known as much as I've known the king of Thailand. 

I think it was the Thai music along with images of the Thai king on the big screen that made it a surreal experience.

Everyone respected it as far as I am aware.

42 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

I think it was the Thai music along with images of the Thai king on the big screen that made it a surreal experience.

Everyone respected it as far as I am aware.

Oh yeah i agree, it was the music and images that made it different, I was just responding to a post saying it was surreal because 25k people staying silent for someone they didn't know, which is the case every time we do a minute silence let's be honest. 

Edited by RichieB

Guest Deleted member
22 minutes ago, RichieB said:

Oh yeah i agree, it was the music and images that made it different, I was just responding to a post saying it was surreal because 25k people staying silent for someone they didn't know, which is the case every time we do a minute silence let's be honest. 

It wasnt about not 'knowing' him. 

Don't read things too literally.

But a minutes silence for Remembrance Sunday for example is about people who gave their lives for us.

As far as Im aware the King of Thailand couldnt give a poo about us!

3 minutes ago, Grandad said:

It wasnt about not 'knowing' him. 

Don't read things too literally.

But a minutes silence for Remembrance Sunday for example is about people who gave their lives for us.

As far as Im aware the King of Thailand couldnt give a poo about us!

You said it was surreal seeing 25k people giving silence to someone they didn't know, how am I meant to know you didn't mean that literally lol

All I said was it was no more surreal (for that reason) as I knew the Thai king as much as I've known anyone else we stayed silent for in the past. 

The point is, its a person and theres nothing wrong with showing respect if it means something to someome at our club, and it meant alot to the owner, to me that's no different than paying respect to a Wednesday fan who has died because it means alot to his/her family and they ask for it on social media leading to the game. 

1 minute ago, Grandad said:

Didnt you think it was surreal?

More surreal than any other silence youve witnessed?

Yeah I thought it was slightly surreal for the reason of the images and music as that doesn't normally happen. 

But it wasn't surreal one single bit to me just because we didn't know him. 

The music and montage is what made it surreal to me, the exact same way it would if there was music playing and a montage of pictures on the screen of a wednesday fan that died, because I don't know them lol

Guest Deleted member

I dont think Id find that surreal - because we have a connection. Besides - I dont remember a minutes silence for any fans - theyre usually applause, and usually during a game

I think you're being pedantic

Just now, Grandad said:

I dont think Id find that surreal - because we have a connection. Besides - I dont remember a minutes silence for any fans - theyre usually applause, and usually during a game

I think you're being pedantic

Yes it usually is applause, but no different to me as I dont know them, I give respect for their family when its a wednesday fan, the same way I gave respect for Chansiri. I was pointing out something you said as a reason for it being surreal, when in my view it's not, nothing pedantic about that. 

Pointless discussion now tbh, it's over, I've given my view and if you disagree then that's fine. 

4 hours ago, RichieB said:

why have you become defensive about someone saying the situation was surreal as though that is a bad thing?

and who was the last person there was a silence for that we didn't know, as fans?

7 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

why have you become defensive about someone saying the situation was surreal as though that is a bad thing?

and who was the last person there was a silence for that we didn't know, as fans?

I'm not defensive, you have misinterpreted me. And I agree something being surreal doesn't mean it's a bad thing. I merely pointed out a reason why it wasn't surreal to me, the music and montage was though, same as it would for me if that had been a wednesday fan. That's it. 

Edited by RichieB

I was away on holiday

ive no problem with a minutes silence for anyone

but

was it 2 minutes with a montage?

well yeah that's different

as though the King of Thailand was more important than any one else who met their demise ?

See I think that's different

So yea I would have observed it 

I also would have found it odd doing so