AVFTEB/Spitting Feathers

I used to love the Mkcee cartoons!  The Kev v Chris Goalkeeper wars and how Hirtsy always had a bolt through his knee.  One that always stands out for me though was about the time when we'd made a cursory bid for David Beckham and Pleat and Peter Shreeves (Shreegor) we're trolling Ferguson over the phone.

"Ok Alex, how about £500k for Cantona?"

"**** OFF, PLEAT!"  

lol

My favourites, and would love to read them again if anyone still has them, we're the dicannio spoof columns, written in pigeon English.  And there was a chesterfield fan who wrote a couple about how bad the Wednesday fans were in the seventies.  I remember crying with laughter at those. 

It would be fantastic if we could get some of them uploaded onto here. Would be like a dunsby comedy session.

2 minutes ago, torryowl said:

which was the one that tried to replace the  matchday programme ?........i wasnt a fan of a couple of them as they seemed a little to professionally done and think they were a money making exercise which was against the ethos of fanzines .

Viz did alright.

1 hour ago, Plonk said:

My favourites, and would love to read them again if anyone still has them, we're the dicannio spoof columns, written in pigeon English.  And there was a chesterfield fan who wrote a couple about how bad the Wednesday fans were in the seventies.  I remember crying with laughter at those. 

It would be fantastic if we could get some of them uploaded onto here. Would be like a dunsby comedy session.

The Radfordgate Tapes! Yeah they were great. There was also a piece about the time we beat Blackburn in the league cup semi which was one of the best pieces of football writing I've ever read. And yes, McKee was and still is brilliant. And remember W Martin Lee? He really hated everything.

41 minutes ago, simpark said:

Yeah every issue of VFTEB wasn't complete without a long pompous letter from W.M. Lee from Worcester

I was in a nightclub in Christchurch after the match when Di Canio went round the keeper twicefold at Southampton , I had a Wednesday shirt on and got talking to another owls fan. He asked if I was aware of W Martin Lee , I said I was and he revealed he was his son. I said he was an ar5e and he said I know.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, 114mphAndRising said:

Boddle had some decent free gifts - the Hillsborough grass sellotaped to the front. The free video tape. It was a bit random but my favourite out of them. AVFTEB was a bit too glossy and official for my liking.

1 free gift was - GET TO SEE A FREE MATCH.

It was a used matchstick sellotaped inside , there was also a free pie in one issue. It was based in Darley Dale , two of the editors were Taff Boddle and Jocelyn Angloma, they used to bang on about snooker player Nigel Bond 'cos he was from Darley.

I used to send letters in and my mate had a few cartoons published as well. This was in the Pleat seasons just before the internet boom if I recall.

Also, who remembers WM LEE or something like that? He used to send in incendiary letters that were so bad or perhaps so good looking back he was a pre-cursor for the internet troll. Perhaps a misunderstood genius.

Edited by mrgund