AVFTEB/Spitting Feathers

I realise I'm showing my age here, but this fanzine was an absolutely integral part of my Wednesday obsession as a young teen. Growing up in Hull and only getting to five or six games a season, I used to wait with baited breath for my letterbox to rattle with the arrival of the latest issue. Along with Skytext page 228, it was the only way to stay in touch for those outside of Sheffield unless you fancied spending two quid a minute on the clubcall rumour-line. I know James Marriott, who is part of the Wednesday Week podcast, used to write for the 'zine, and I myself had maybe a dozen pieces published, but did anyone else on here contribute to AVFTEB/SF?

I once sent in an old joke that compared Colin West to a bucket of poo poo. I received a letter back from the fanzine telling me that they were not going to publish it as it could have an adverse affect on Colin's confidence.

They didnt mention what effect the joke would have had on the bucket of poo being compared to Colin West.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, manicowl said:

I realise I'm showing my age here, but this fanzine was an absolutely integral part of my Wednesday obsession as a young teen. Growing up in Hull and only getting to five or six games a season, I used to wait with baited breath for my letterbox to rattle with the arrival of the latest issue. Along with Skytext page 228, it was the only way to stay in touch for those outside of Sheffield unless you fancied spending two quid a minute on the clubcall rumour-line. I know James Marriott, who is part of the Wednesday Week podcast, used to write for the 'zine, and I myself had maybe a dozen pieces published, but did anyone else on here contribute to AVFTEB/SF?

Yes contributed regular. Loved that damm fanzine.

Sadly the internet's killed them off. Oddly and on today's topic, for those that still have theres in a late issue of SF had an article printed about why I hate forest.

Anyhow must be nigh on 20 years since I wrote that.

Edited by Maddogbob

1 hour ago, Maddogbob said:

Yes contributed regular. Loved that damm fanzine.

Sadly the internet's killed them off. Oddly and on today's topic, for those that still have theres in a late issue of SF had an article printed about why I hate forest.

Anyhow must be nigh on 20 years since I wrote that.

Agree info, debate and sh*t storms were different before OT

too many knee jerk teacup storms now, you had to wait and reflect int old days miss them and the green un letters' page

Yeah our access to social media and having everything at out fingertips within a matter of seconds means we can react instantly, rather than have a think.

Sometimes a good thing, sometimes a bad thing.

Edited by Maddogbob

5 hours ago, torryowl said:

always thought cheat was the best one ........jaw was a bit a bit insipid. 

Cheat! was my favourite too. Did all the fanzines run from the late 80s to mid-90s or were there any Wednesday ones before / after that?

On 24/09/2016 at 08:47, Beast of Boulogne said:

wasn't that boddle? It was far the best fanzine, you got a free match in 1 issue.

Ah yes. I think you're right.

I think once I get moved my Mum wants me to through all the programmes, fanzines and Green'uns that I have from that era and get them out of their stables and either got rid of or into my place. Should be an interesting chore.

I wrote some articles for both of these back in the day. I think my article about a win at Palace was the last article in the last issue of Spitting Feathers. 

Living in London, the fanzine was the best way for me to connect with the club and other fans before I got online... 

2 hours ago, George said:

Ah yes. I think you're right.

I think once I get moved my Mum wants me to through all the programmes, fanzines and Green'uns that I have from that era and get them out of their stables and either got rid of or into my place. Should be an interesting chore.

Are you a centaur?

• Haha 1