Poor+recruitment

9 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Until we sign a dominant centre back, someone who can put a foot in, in midfield, and a player with pace, who can get us up the pitch, then results will continue to be patchy. Sides seem to have worked out that we have a soft centre

This and a lot of us have been saying this all summer. We've neglected our weaknesses and now we look look like a soft side that can't defend crosses and can be easily turned over by being bullied and attacked directly. We could see it last season at times and in the play off final. We need to sort out our weaknesses before the window closes or pressure will mount and mount on Carlos.

7 hours ago, ohgoditsjames said:

I don't get the Fletcher signing, massive wages, long contract and hasn't been prolific in his career. He will link up well but we could have saved his wages for a prolific striker with pace.

I thought Fletcher has looked quite good since he came and that run & cross where he pulled his Boll**cks out for Hooper to back pass it to their keeper about summed the day up.

I think he looks ok, it's Hooper i worry about, not really convinced.

We've signed plenty of good players, but I'm not sure we've addressed the weaknesses from last season. 

We are a good footballing side and we've brought in more really good footballers. 

I think if you asked most fans what we were missing last season; it would be a bit of pace and some physicality centrally. 

We haven't really addressed this. 

Wednesday are looking a bit like a low-rent version of Arsenal at the moment. 

The lack of actual wingers is worrying.

The reason the full backs are looking like mugs is because Fernando is playing more forward than a winger and Wallace moves inside most of the time,Leaving them exposed.

we ideally need a midfield battering ram and pace on one of the wings, both if you play FF up top with fletcher.

players who can stretch teams and put a decent cross In, not hit the first man or not have the legs to get past them.

theres still time to sort these frailties but it won't be cheap and we need loovens back sharpish.

6 hours ago, Milan Missing Marble said:

This and a lot of us have been saying this all summer. We've neglected our weaknesses and now we look look like a soft side that can't defend crosses and can be easily turned over by being bullied and attacked directly. We could see it last season at times and in the play off final. We need to sort out our weaknesses before the window closes or pressure will mount and mount on Carlos.

I think this is the crux of the issue. 

Get a soft ref who lets stuff go like today and we can get bullied (as you rightly say) out of it.

Have to say though that in the Villa game they could have nicked it but we came through & everyone was more than happy with life. Today we could have nicked it if Hooper had scored from Fletcher's cross and we could have gone on from there and the result could have been different. 

Very slim margins which completely alter our perspectives on how things are going, but clearly one or two areas to look at.

Just now, bigthinrob said:

Get a soft ref who lets stuff go like today and we can get bullied (as you rightly say) out of it.

Have to say though that in the Villa game they could have nicked it but we came through & everyone was more than happy with life. Today we could have nicked it if Hooper had scored from Fletcher's cross and we could have gone on from there and the result could have been different. 

Very slim margins which completely alter our perspectives on how things are going, but clearly one or two areas to look at.

Spot on.

But then again Hooper should be burying that all day long. Snatched at it.

We just seem to be playing a system which is currently bringing out the deficiencies in our players. 

Both full backs are being exposed and our midfielders are all going to the middle. 

I would try Bannan out left mid , Lee or Buckley right with Jones And Abdi central and have Forestieri playing off Fletcher in a free role. 

But im not the manager lol 

6 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Jones is an excellent signing to sit in front of the back four and keep the game ticking over.

Abdi is the best central attacking midfielder in the League.

Two cracking signings who shouldn't be shoe horned in. Put them in their best positions and reap the rewards.

As much as I rate Bannan and Lee they must make way for these two to shine.

totally agree,however carlos doesn't wanna drop them and is just trying to fit them all in somehow !!

7 hours ago, ohgoditsjames said:

I don't get the Fletcher signing, massive wages, long contract and hasn't been prolific in his career. He will link up well but we could have saved his wages for a prolific striker with pace.

Our worst signing in years. 

1 minute ago, brian joicey said:

totally agree,however carlos doesn't wanna drop them and is just trying to fit them all in somehow !!

But this time last week I would have been dead against dropping Bannan and Lee because they ran the show. So much it forced Norwich to take off a striker and bring on a defensive midfielder to stop us.

Tough call for Carlos to make. He needs to decide what his best formation and side is and quickly. But one thing is for certain Abdi needs to play in the middle, there's not much better than him in the league at creating chances and openings, a huge huge waste having him out wide.

I still think using hutch long term as a CB is a mistake . He offered us bite in midfield where the others are just ball players.

get pace on the wings and hutch plus bannan in midfield and let's see how we go.

This league is all down to fine margins, a week ago we were on top of the world after outplaying both relegated premier league teams and now losing to two poor sides has brought us back down to earth with a bump.

if we win the next 5 it won't matter but players need to be played in thier best positions not square pegs in round holes.

13 minutes ago, SiJ said:

We've signed plenty of good players, but I'm not sure we've addressed the weaknesses from last season.

Agreed.

It's not that the signings in isolation are bad - these are good players that we've signed. But at best they're small upgrades in areas we were already strong in, and at worst they've disrupted the balance of the team a bit and created a bit of a selection headache.

7 hours ago, Bannofan said:

The situation at the moment is that we have spent millions and ended up looking poorer.

It seems the balance and the spirit of the team is questionable.

All the Abdi signing seems to have achieved is to cause disharmony within the squad and pee him off by not playing him in his best position.

Carlos needs to be very careful here, it doesn't take many poor performances and results to get the sack in the championship.

You are making wild assumptions.

Good way to get noticed on here.

It's a bit like when Wenger signs another attacking midfielder every season and you sit there scratching your head and wondering why he's never brought in a replacement (of sorts) for Viera or Gilberto. 

57 minutes ago, bigthinrob said:

Slim margins yes, but we won't make progress when the outcome of games is such a lottery We've known our shortcomings for a while now, but seem to have done little to address them