Rival watch

15 minutes ago, WhiteyBFC said:

There's absolutely no animosity or rivalry from us to them, but at the start of the season they tried to create some. 

Isn't that what Barnsley fans have tried to do to Wednesday though? I would have said there was no real rivalry between us but Barnsley seem to think there is. How else would you explain the appalling reaction to Sam Winnall coming here when Connor Hourihane and James Bree get  golden handshakes when they depart to Villa? 

24 minutes ago, Owl 44 said:

Isn't that what Barnsley fans have tried to do to Wednesday though? I would have said there was no real rivalry between us but Barnsley seem to think there is. How else would you explain the appalling reaction to Sam Winnall coming here when Connor Hourihane and James Bree get  golden handshakes when they depart to Villa? 

I can only speak for myself, and I see Wednesday and United as our rivals, based on my 30 years watching us. We've played each other regularly, we live next door etc. So I get up for these games. Whereas it's rare we've had to play Doncaster or Rotherham in that time. 

No interest in how you see us, doesn't affect me. I want us to win every game, but of the current 91 other league clubs, I value victories over dem blavdes and yourselves plus Leeds much more than I would a win against Rotherham, Ipswich, Port Vale, Southampton, whoever. Because you're local to us and are historically (over 100 years or more) better than us and have bigger fanbases etc. The fact Barnsley has a large amount of Wednesdayites and Leeds fans, that adds to it. 

So aye, you're our rivals in my eyes.

Can't comment on the Winnall/Bree/Hourihane stuff. Not interested really. All left, irrelevant to us moving forward but wish them well as we stand to make more money off them if they continue to excel as players.

3 minutes ago, WhiteyBFC said:

I can only speak for myself, and I see Wednesday and United as our rivals, based on my 30 years watching us. We've played each other regularly, we live next door etc. So I get up for these games. Whereas it's rare we've had to play Doncaster or Rotherham in that time. 

No interest in how you see us, doesn't affect me. I want us to win every game, but of the current 91 other league clubs, I value victories over dem blavdes and yourselves plus Leeds much more than I would a win against Rotherham, Ipswich, Port Vale, Southampton, whoever. Because you're local to us and are historically (over 100 years or more) better than us and have bigger fanbases etc. The fact Barnsley has a large amount of Wednesdayites and Leeds fans, that adds to it. 

Can't comment on the Winnall/Bree/Hourihane stuff. Not interested really. All left, irrelevant to us moving forward but wish them well as we stand to make more money off them if they continue to excel as players.

All fair points you make and I suppose the reason clubs like Barnsley, Rotherham and Doncaster see us as rivals is because they are the only clubs in those towns. However in Wednesday fans' eyes there is probably only one real rivalry that exists which will possibly be rekindled next season. Yes I enjoy a win against Barnsley or Rotherham but not as much as a win against Leeds or Newcastle or any other play off rivals. As for beating the blades.... not much beats that, especially in 93. Think Barnsley fans have fuelled the fire for the April game though due to their Winnall reaction. Will be interesting to see how he handles it... if he plays. 

9 hours ago, TrickyTrev said:

Even if Barnsley had managed to keep hold of Winnall and Hourihane I still wouldn't have backed them to make the top 6, now they've no chance.

whilst I think that ought to be the case too, you would think the disarray of their directorship and loss of 3 key figures would destroy them

but never underestimate the back against the wall team ethic generated by Heck in other circumstances I would want them to do well 

1 minute ago, modboy said:

Not Barnsley we need to be worried about imo. Norwich, Derby, Villa will be there abouts

all imo blue glasses on - hopefully they fear us more

fortunately the parachute clubs are so far fecking up the system set up to preserve their status 

7 minutes ago, modboy said:

Not Barnsley we need to be worried about imo. Norwich, Derby, Villa will be there abouts

While we go to Bristol and Wigan, Barnsley host Wolves and Prrston.

They are a point behind us.

Still to go to Oakwell.

The way Reading, Leeds and Udders are pulling away, we are in a battle royal for 6th.

17 hours ago, WhiteyBFC said:

Correct.

Didn't Wednesday only scrape by them at Hillsborough recently, dodgy penalty was it?

I felt we were hard done by at your place a while back, but we lost 2-0. Results count, not performances.

On what level ?

Because you played well 1st half ?

Football matches unfortunately run over 90mins plus 

Barnsley were great for about 30 mins in the 1st half definitely bossed the game but got nothing 

We were the better side 2nd half and over the 90 imo and got 2 goals where is the hard done by bit ?

1 hour ago, Lawrie Madden said:

On what level ?

Because you played well 1st half ?

Football matches unfortunately run over 90mins plus 

Barnsley were great for about 30 mins in the 1st half definitely bossed the game but got nothing 

We were the better side 2nd half and over the 90 imo and got 2 goals where is the hard done by bit ?

Think you're seeing summat that isn't there, pal. 

1 hour ago, Lawrie Madden said:

As long as no one inside the Club shares your opinion about discounting the Dingles we should be ok

just cant see them keeping the pace with them losing half their team. Work in Barnsley and most fans have given up the ghost of the play-offs now but love winding us that they are going to catch us up.

If they do its us that have under-achieved 

17 hours ago, WhiteyBFC said:

I see our rivals as United, Leeds and Barnsley in that order. Wins over them mean more than wins over anybody else - couldn't give a t0ss about Rotherham or Doncaster.  

My heart really goes out to you lot with the exodus of players - isn't it like out of the 18 players in the squad for the play off final, only 8 are left? Then I read today that Roberts and Scowen are off as well. That really can't be nice. You've recruited well with Mowatt and James and done outstandingly well to get up to 7th. I just can't see you sustaining that form, but this season surely already goes down as a job well done. I hope you get to reinvest some of the fees that are coming in.