Abdi from Watford?

1 minute ago, TheEnchanter said:

I know but nothings changed in terms of work permits. Seems like none of the none EU europen countries have ever had problems getting transfers to the Prem.

There were changes to work permit rules last year Enchanter. That's why we weren't able to sign that midfielder from Leeds, Rudi Austin or whatever his name was.

Non-EU citizens need to make a certain % of international games depending on their nation's rankings to be able to sign

1 minute ago, StudentOwl said:

There were changes to work permit rules last year Enchanter. That's why we weren't able to sign that midfielder from Leeds, Rudi Austin or whatever his name was.

Non-EU citizens need to make a certain % of international games depending on their nation's rankings to be able to sign

So according to that Abdi can either continue playing for Watford or play for no one in England. I understand that those are the current rules but I'm sure it isn't as cut and dry as that. Austin to my mind had already been released by Leeds and had an expired work permit wasn't it? 

Just now, Ever the pessimist said:

What do you mean 'unbelievably'!!?

Because I initially looked at it and scoffed like I have at everyone else that has been worrying in this thread about the delay

Then I was like 'oh go on then, I'll check he probably played in Italy long eno... No. Well OK he may have played in England long enp... No. Well how about his birth. Kosovo, well that would have been part of Albania when he was born, that would surely be an EuI men... No'.

And then I start worrying

Thats why watford need to get rid of him or im guessing he would have been a squad player for them if he was. Is there a time limit on how long he has to be in the uk? 

We didnt get austin because he was released and had no club if he had been transfered from leeds to us he would still be in thsi country playing for us or thats how i thought it worked

Just now, TheEnchanter said:

Also dnt the internation team have to be in the top 50 rankings? Switzerand are comfortably in 18th place. Albania are even in 37th place. Sure ive cleared it up with this. 

Jamaica on the other hand were well down in the rankings. 

They don't have to be anywhere in the rankings. The rankings dictate what percentage of international games a player needs to have played. Eg 1-25 a player would have had to have played 25% of international games over the last 2 years, 25-50 40%, 50-75 60% etc. I can't look the exact numbers up as on my phone but them's the rules

5 minutes ago, elyowl1 said:

Swiss nationals have freedom of movement to work in the EU , no permit required 

End of worry, we'll sign him 100% then

However, if hypothetically he weren't from an EU nation and didn't have the freedom of movement, we genuinely wouldn't have been able to sign him.

How bizarre are those rules

Edited by StudentOwl

Just now, TheEnchanter said:

Schengen zone and all that. 

Under current EU / Swiss deal it's very similar , although it may change as the Swiss have voted to limit people coming in so this may change in the future.

I only know as I applied for several jobs in Switzerland last year lol 

Just now, elyowl1 said:

Under current EU / Swiss deal it's very similar , although it may change as the Swiss have voted to limit people coming in so this may change in the future.

But why on Earth would you want to leave the glorious Isle of Ely? lol

3 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

End of worry, we'll sign him 100% then

However, if hypothetically he weren't from an EU nation and didn't have the freedom of movement, we genuinely wouldn't have been able to sign him.

How bizarre are those rules

Exactly which is why we were unable to get Austin this time last year. 

1 minute ago, elyowl1 said:

Are you a pro yodeller?

The European Economic Area (EEA)

The EEA includes EU countries and also Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway. It allows them to be part of the EU’s single market.

Switzerland is neither an EU nor EEA member but is part of the single market - this means Swiss nationals have the same rights to live and work in the UK as other EEA nationals

https://www.gov.uk/eu-eea