It is far too early for CC to be written off

CC was wrote off before him put his first foot in the door so he's on a hiding to nothing.

We've not had the easiest of starts and we have 15 new players. Things don't happen overnight but you always get your idiots wanting to change a manager after a few games. No doubt most of these are in the "Bring Back Meggo" club.

Judge him after 15 games.

How very dare you sir

GaryMegson

I'm not worried.

We are in that strange phase of a new owner and an increased budget where there will be a high turnover of players. I remember the first year or 2 at Chelsea and Man City, they signed some howlers, went through a couple of managers and eventually found great sides. Some of the new lads will do very well, others will barely touch the pitch, Carvalhal could end up being our Ranieri or he could be our Jose. 

I'm not personally expecting anything this season its next I'm excited about. 1 step back, 2 steps forwards. 

Some off he comments and opinions the last few days I've seen on here are huge over reactions imo. I put it down to the international break and the fact there has been sod all to discuss for a week and it will continue. To question him after 5 league games with the huge turnover in squad is nothing short of ridicilous. One of the key things that has made us look poor this season is the defence and I honestly think it's mainly down to Westwood being injured (including his poor match vs Ipswich). The guy single handedly kept us in most games last season and will continue to play a big part this season. Any side wouldn't look their set when a crucial influential player is missing. I don't think we have had the easiest of starts playing Boro and Ipswich, then include seemingly much improved Reading and Leeds sides + Bristol City who were unbeaten for a long time after dicking on league one. Still however we can only beat what's put in front of us and our points haul and performances so have are not good enough.

I'm coming across like I'm making excuses for him which wasn't my intention as after 5 games he doesn't need defending anyway. Another 10 league games or so without improved performances and more importantly results, then doubt may start to creep into my mind. It's just not comprehendible the criticism and lack of faith currently shown towards Carvalhal.

The only person who`s opinion matters is DC`s . He has made big investment in the squad and will want a return on that investment, ie, results on the pitch . He is highly ambitious for the club ,and i dont doubt he wouldnt waste any time in changing the coach should those results not start to come very soon. 

No poo poo Sherlock! 

I think the next 5 games up to the next international break will be defining in all of this

IF results aren't reasonable

IF performances are unsatisfactory

IF we seem no closer to a settled team and rumours about unsettled players appear 

AND the attendance v Fulham is a bit low

then I can see a change being made

I am in the camp that didn't understand the appointment in the first place and nothing I have seen so far has changed my opinion

That's an interesting view....for me results are more important than any modern v traditional (old fashioned) argument.

Results are the most important, but I just hope we develop a way of playing, a philosophy, that doesn't change everytime we change manager.

FWIW I dont think we'll ever have a home grown manager under DC.

Some off he comments and opinions the last few days I've seen on here are huge over reactions imo. I put it down to the international break and the fact there has been sod all to discuss for a week and it will continue. To question him after 5 league games with the huge turnover in squad is nothing short of ridicilous. One of the key things that has made us look poor this season is the defence and I honestly think it's mainly down to Westwood being injured (including his poor match vs Ipswich). The guy single handedly kept us in most games last season and will continue to play a big part this season. Any side wouldn't look their set when a crucial influential player is missing. I don't think we have had the easiest of starts playing Boro and Ipswich, then include seemingly much improved Reading and Leeds sides + Bristol City who were unbeaten for a long time after dicking on league one. Still however we can only beat what's put in front of us and our points haul and performances so have are not good enough.

I'm coming across like I'm making excuses for him which wasn't my intention as after 5 games he doesn't need defending anyway. Another 10 league games or so without improved performances and more importantly results, then doubt may start to creep into my mind. It's just not comprehendible the criticism and lack of faith currently shown towards Carvalhal.

Fundamentally he's been questioned because there's little or nothing on his CV that suggests he will make a success of building a team from scratch over a period of a couple of years. That's why there's a lack of faith. 

Fundamentally he's been questioned because there's little or nothing on his CV that suggests he will make a success of building a team from scratch over a period of a couple of years. That's why there's a lack of faith. 

If you could have a new manager in then, who would you pick ?

If you could have a new manager in then, who would you pick ?

I have no idea who's available or who would come. Off the top of my head Lambert, Hasselbaink...Give me 3 weeks with nothing else to do and people with contacts across Europe and I'll let you know.

You have to admit it was a slightly off the wall appointment. Not quite Hockaday but pretty left field. It might turn out to be an inspired decision - as eg sacking Laudrup and appointing Gary Monk seems to have been at Swansea. I'm not writing him off - just not expecting a great deal.

I fear he wont be given the time he deserves/should expect to get 'his' settled side together...ok 5 games gone and not too clever but at Burnley there could well be 3 more debutants and Westwoods return as well...im still in the mindset that itll take another 4-5 games to even start to find out what ths best starting 11 should be so it would be insane to get rid then irrespective of what the results are...To be honest we should be looking at a 50% record maybe by say 21 games approaching halfway thro the season...W7 D7 L7 wouldnt be a disaster to me as long as there was the makings of a settled side in evidence and a definate playing style was developing...you could even extend that to 30 games as long as a push on in the last third of the season happened to give a comfortable top ten finish which tbh is what I expect...im no happy clapper but think the 'want it NOW brigade' need to embrace the huge changes we've been thro' and adjust expectations accordingly for a while...sadly I cant see that happening even from just reading this thread!!!

Edited by Prendo's boots

Wat?

Has he been written off? I'm going to give him a season before I judge.

Some people are just retaaarded. Sadly a lot of them know how to log into football forums.

Edit. Why is ret.arded a censored word?

Edited by mrgund

The point though is given the amount spent on new players and the owners intention to be pushing for promotion - if we end up being in the relegation places come the end of September (3 away games and a tricky looking home fixture v fulham) then do we think DC will show any patience.

DC is a do'er as far as I can see when it comes to business. I don't think he will be following the logical argument of giving time to build. Could be wrong but he seemed quite ruthless with Gray.

Like many my issue is that CC in not someone who inspired when he was announced, in fact quite baffling

Si its not a case of saying he should be sacked, it is far too early to judge that, but questioning whether he was the right appointment in the first place is another matter entirely