Opening day-team, and the whole 'gelling' debate

Ive been discussing our chances ahead of the Bristol City game with many Wednesdayites in the last few days, and they are all of the same opinion, that we will start slow, due to the wholesale changes and new recruits, with a high % being overseas players.

Most of them say itll take a while to 'gel' and the team to settle down and get used to one anothers game, and tactics that CC has changed significantly it would seem, in comparison to SG who played alot of direct percentage football.

However, ive looked at the 'likely' line-up for Saturday, as below;

Westwood

Hunt Lees Sasso Helan

Hutchinson Lopes

Wallace McGugan Matias

Nuhiu

Looking at that 11, the only ones I can see having problems adapting are Sasso, Lopes and Matias. The tempo/physicality may surprise them initially perhaps, but theyve all had a full pre season, and will have probably done research into the style that they will be competing in beforehand.

The rest of the new players, Hunt- has played many games at this level and is a Yorkshire lad, and had spells with Huddersfield, Barnsley and Rotherham, so its not like hes uprooted and competing in a division alien to him.

Likewise Wallace, who has won 2 promotions from this division, and we all no about McGugan.

So I dont really buy this 'slow start' theory.

The rest of the new recruits: Price, Wiggins, Lachman, Sougou, Joao, will have longer to integrate, and can be used from the bench initially, allowing more time to settle and adapt.

I think we will be as solid as a watery blancmange at the back to begin with as our defence gets used to playing with attacking full backs and a less denfesive midfield and forward line, and we will ship goals left right and centre.

This is why we will have a slow start as we will be participating in a lot of high scoring, one sided losses to begin with until our defence solidifies and attackers get going.

Don't get me wrong, I think we will be great, but it'll be an iffy start.

Hope I'm wrong though!

Ive been discussing our chances ahead of the Bristol City game with many Wednesdayites in the last few days, and they are all of the same opinion, that we will start slow, due to the wholesale changes and new recruits, with a high % being overseas players.

Most of them say itll take a while to 'gel' and the team to settle down and get used to one anothers game, and tactics that CC has changed significantly it would seem, in comparison to SG who played alot of direct percentage football.

However, ive looked at the 'likely' line-up for Saturday, as below;

Westwood

Hunt Lees Sasso Helan

Hutchinson Lopes

Wallace McGugan Matias

Nuhiu

Looking at that 11, the only ones I can see having problems adapting are Sasso, Lopes and Matias. The tempo/physicality may surprise them initially perhaps, but theyve all had a full pre season, and will have probably done research into the style that they will be competing in beforehand.

The rest of the new players, Hunt- has played many games at this level and is a Yorkshire lad, and had spells with Huddersfield, Barnsley and Rotherham, so its not like hes uprooted and competing in a division alien to him.

Likewise Wallace, who has won 2 promotions from this division, and we all no about McGugan.

So I dont really buy this 'slow start' theory.

The rest of the new recruits: Price, Wiggins, Lachman, Sougou, Joao, will have longer to integrate, and can be used from the bench initially, allowing more time to settle and adapt.

Yes.

Let's smash this league!!

The defence even against St Mirren looked suspect after the Scunthorpe match.

Think we need a top class CB tbh if we are to be promotion candidates

stop worrying.

We have lees. Lachman and sasso will be stars mark my words. We then prob have best right back in league. And potentially a top left back. Then behind them bey keeper in league

Stop worrying

Guest UpTheOwlsss

Imagine it being 1-1 and we bring on joao sougou and lee

😍

Is it just me who thinks Lachmann looks a lot better than Sasso ?

Went to every friendly and I'm not sure why people are

putting Sasso to start ahead of the big man ?

What are their strengths ? I've only been to 1 game which was york

Is it just me who thinks Lachmann looks a lot better than Sasso ?

Went to every friendly and I'm not sure why people are putting Sasso to start ahead of the big man ?

I think lachman looks so cool and composed. He never looks flustered. And he loves to get forward. Can see us using him lots especially at home

stop worrying.

We have lees. Lachman and sasso will be stars mark my words. We then prob have best right back in league. And potentially a top left back. Then behind them bey keeper in league

Stop worrying

Hope so, just thinking back to how many times Westwood saved us last season

Imagine it being 1-1 and we bring on joao sougou and lee

😍

What are their strengths ? I've only been to 1 game which was york

Sasso seems a similar style to Lees of cause just not as good basically.

Lachmann seems to fit into the Bougherra mould, a more attacking centre half with great composure and an eye for a pass and a lot stronger than Sasso.

Of cause I'm only basing this on friendlies and he could get torn a new un by teams in the championship, just prefer him at this stage.

Edited by Eaton_Swfc

Hope so, just thinking back to how many times Westwood saved us last season

He did. Lees will be even better this year. Not sure how much loovens will be involved this season. Plus will have melo/Hutchinson/semedo in front of them. Allowing the likes of hunt and Wiggins to get forward

Guest UpTheOwlsss

Sasso seems a similar style to Lees of cause just not as good basically.

Lachmann seems to fit into the Bougherra mould, a more attacking centre half with great composure and an eye for a pass and a lot stronger than Sasso.

Of cause I'm only basing this on friendlies and he could get torn a new un by teams in the championship, just prefer him at this stage.

Ah right ok so they both sound decent in their own ways then

Will have to wait and see

I like the sounds of that OP.  Makes sense.

I didn't rate Sasso against St.Mirren (granted thats the only time i've seen him).  Lees was giving him some right hammer through the first half and he didn't seem to listen to any of it.  His english is good so that wasn't a barrier.  Loovens has to be first choice.

I do worry about our defence, we will be all about attack this season and will they cope being more exposed? I also worry about Hutchinson staying on the pitch!

I just hope we are scoring and teams buckle under the constant pressure!

I don't buy into the "The Gell Theory" we have bought, loaned good footballers, look at Watford last season new players, changing Manager 3 times, I am going to sit back on the Kop and enjoy the football. We may or may not be in the mix at the end of the season, but for me Chansiri has shown that he means the business, and our squad will develop of the next couple of seasons. When we get into the Premiership with the Sky money we will consolidate our place.

I think a more attacking style is bound to impact on the defence throughout the whole season.

I'll put it that way ,Idon't think we'll be threatening to break the clean sheets record again any time soon.

After last season though I suspect that most people would take a similar placed finish and just be pleased to see some attacking football and some goals.

Book of cliche, Chapter 4 paragraph 2.

"Season of Transition"

I would play the team that played ST Mirren  looked assured and confident, But Carlos will make the final Decision ,A big squad of quality to choose from ,Loovens i hope is fit  but if not ,We have players to put in ,I am really looking forward to what i hope will get people talking about the Exciting ,Attacking ,Football which we will play ,I hope we have a good cup run starting next week ,Opening day 3-1 win for the Owls  and i say that even though Bristol city are a very good side,But my confidence is high now ,I have the Big Jack,Big Ron ,And Wilkinson feeling all over again,IT,S GREAT BEING AN OWL.