Kirkland NOT re-signing

Maybe the club have withdrawn the offer - as they aim to bring in a keeper that is good enough to mean Westwood is the backup

Why replace someone who is clearly good enough

Especially when we don't have a winger on the books, or a striker that can kick straight

Would be bizarre

2 first choice keepers, 3 right backs and 10 defensive midfielders

Don't we have at least two very highly rated young keepers, one of whom was apparently outstanding, on loan at Barnsley last season? Surely it's better to develop our younger players, rather than have a senior keeper who's quite content to warm the bench and play the odd cup game, and stopping the progress of those younger players, as was the case with Kirkland last season. I wish him luck, as I do all ex players, but I won't lose any sleep over the fact he's leaving

http://bit.ly/1H3G701

Chris Kirkland has opted to seek pastures new having declined a one-year contract extension at Hillsborough.

After much soul searching given his ties to the club, the popular goalkeeper will leave S6 in pursuit of a fresh challenge that he hopes will offer regular first team football.

He told swfc.co.uk: “This has been a really tough decision and one that I have mulled over through the summer but I have decided to move on.

“I want a new challenge at this stage of my career. Everyone loves to play first team football and I am no different.

“I came back to the club this week to do things the right way, which is in person because I have a lot of friends at this football club who deserve full respect.

“I would like to thank all the staff who have been so supportive in my three years with Wednesday and wish the new head coach and the new chairman nothing but the very best.

“And, of course, I would like to thank the fans, who have been different class and I hope to see them at the other end of the field soon.”

Sheffield Wednesday would like to thank Chris for his services and wish him well for the future.

It's Wednesday who have pulled the plug.

Too many people trying to sort things out leading to deals falling through and situations like this.

As far as we know PA has been doing the negotiations since he joined the club...why would anyone else on the football side be doing this ? Oh I forgot...it gives you the chance to slag the committee off even though you haven't got a clue what their roles are

Edited by daveyboy66

Don't we have at least two very highly rated young keepers, one of whom was apparently outstanding, on loan at Barnsley last season? Surely it's better to develop our younger players, rather than have a senior keeper who's quite content to warm the bench and play the odd cup game, and stopping the progress of those younger players, as was the case with Kirkland last season. I wish him luck, as I do all ex players, but I won't lose any sleep over the fact he's leaving

Joe Wildsmith.

Very highly rated by the club.