Random things you remember from hillsborough's past

Guest Gazzaswfc

The Wednesday shop in Orchard Square, where you could also buy tickets for the match.

Got my first Wednesday shirt there, had gone to my uncles ordination in the cathedral and was bored, my dad took my out for a walk, got the black and yellow pinstripe shirt, would have been 10 years old.

Guest minsk owl

Sittin' on the kop in the 70's ,  ( even though there were no seats )  

Edited by minsk owl

Guest Fedor

Anyone remember those badges that were sold in the ground?

They were quite large, cream coloured and had corny sayings on them. Stuff like "Terrys all gold",

"The sky is blue, clouds are white, thats cos Gods a Wednesdayite". "If pigs could fly Harry Haslam would be a squadron leader" etc.

The jacket spud van under the kop (near fence between north and kop turnstiles), there one week not the next. Always seemed to be the week I had no pocket money.

Also uncovered old skool kop on rainy days, old man used to say were near the back under the umberella if you need us. 2000 soaked kids looking behind at 5000 brollies for there the dads. Proper kop lol

not read all of the thread but my early memories are,

parking and walking along penistone road to see the big neon wednesday sign lit up at night games.

god bothering boards outside.

smell of liniment from the changing rooms as you walked between the south stands.

getting a proper meat pie and a bovril served from a big metal urn.

fans wearing scarves tied round their wrists.

the left side and right side battling on the leppings lane.

fans waving their hands from side to side above theirs heads from the leppings lane to the kop, also at away games on the away end to wednesday fans on the home end.

seeing 36k inside hillsborough for the everton league cup 3rd round in the late 70s when usually around 10k, also seeing all their regular 1st team players playing.

seeing 49,309 crammed in to hillsborough at 11am to witness my first local derby and then having the bragging rights for the next 20 years :-)

always disappointed that i never saw 50,000 inside hillsborough, 49,800? for the liverpool league cup tie in the 80s was the biggest i was in.

cushions being thrown from the north stand towards the end of the game as we were usually getting beat.

away fans being housed in the small triangle on the kop.

letters on the north and south stand corresponding to the fixtures in the programme, never understood why they didn't put them on the scoreboard.

playing on muddy fields and playing with an orange ball when it snowed, just got on with the game.

hearing the wind rattle against the side of the north stand and turning back to the pitch to see the coventry keeper ogrizovic scoring.

What a great thread,

Wednesday v Burnley early 70's, the Burnley fans running on the pitch after dispatched off the kop, the cheers when grummitt came back on the pitch after half time. And sadly Leighton rees winning goal.

Weren't it Leighton James?

One of our rare MOTD appearances too.

Edited by Tamworthowl

Guest minsk owl

Wednesday v Burnley early 70's, the Burnley fans running on the pitch after dispatched off the kop, the cheers when grummitt came back on the pitch after half time. And sadly Leighton rees winning goal

Remember that game well,  us and Burnley facing each other across the long gangway nearest the south,.......  seemed like time stood still for about 5 minutes, until we charged and battered 'em. 

and btw, .......Leighton James

Having a pop aged 14

Then waiting for Fat Sid an Bathtub (RIP) to sort em out

Derby, Man City. Bradford

If you were there you will know!

Peter Swan (Shorts)

Mick Lyons (Legend)

Terry Curren (Kenworthys Toe) Not S6 but brilliant

Going round Hillsborough corner 1979 after the  massacre  (nobody out)

Darnall Branch ( Best years of my life)