Random things you remember from hillsborough's past

Guest Gazzaswfc

At half-time sheltering in the gang-way that ran between the South upper and lower tier to keep dry when it was raining and have a warm from one of the extractor fans that came from what I presume were the kitchens.

A bloke who my uncle knew called John Hill running on the pitch to help when someone was stretchered off in the early 80s, his Sterland-esque perm bouncing as he ran, tight farah trousers, and a bunch a keys jangling on his hip - so 80s!

John Nesbit, the SY Police guy (who everyone thought was the real Mr Meadows), walking passed the front of the South Stand at the same point in each game in the mid-80s and gave a wave to someone he knew around the Directors Box area, only to be followed by loads of other wags on the South giving him a sarcastic wave as he went past (but he never twigged that people were doing it to him).

Going to reserve games as a kid in the 80s and thinking getting a pack of Klix chewing gum was a treat with its foil and plastic packaging.

And slightly further away going to the football sessions in the gym after school in the mid-80s (then when we got older we went to the shale at the training ground).

The Young Owls membership portakabin in the South Stand car park. Getting your photo took with the portakabin as the back-drop. And then getting your membership gifts which usually included a pen, badge and autograph book.

All in their own way unique and special memories. 

Us wearing white at home for cup games ....

Man Utd fans raising a flag on a pole on the west stand .....

The scoreboard showing the first team had gone a goal down at the reserve games ....

Looking at Peter Feely and thinking .... He could be my hero .....

Sitting 5 seats from Jack Charlton ..... On the north and not sure what to make of it ....

Hearing we had sold Wilf Smith and got Clements and Joicey ..... My dads mates weren't happy ...

Away Fans being put in the far corner of the Kop end.  :biggrin:

One of games was against Millwall, how thick were those who arranged this? 

Both sets of fans using same facilities, it was just asking for trouble which we got during second half.

Guest trusty_left_peg

The indie/alternative mixtape that seemed to be played before most home games in 03/04 and 04/05. Had Ash's "Girl From Mars" and Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit" on it from memory. Was pretty good until they ditched it for the top 40 at the time guff.

What a great thread,

1960's buying what seemed like a home made rosette outside the ground and being amazed how many Wednesday fans there were( all my mates supported the pigs)

Wednesday v Burnley early 70's, the Burnley fans running on the pitch after dispatched off the kop, the cheers when grummitt came back on the pitch after half time. And sadly Leighton rees winning goal

Sammie

Counting cigarettes being lit in the north stand from the kids seats in the south

V Newcastle United 1984 , winning 4-2 with over 42000 in the ground and the feeling of knowing the exile from the first division was over

1989 dalian atkinsons winner against Liverpool , Liverpool's first return after the disaster

Stevie Splash

Nottingham forest 1990 :o(

91/92 beating man Utd 3-2

91/92 saying to my pig mate I can't believe how good we are we are playing Liverpool this afternoon and I genuinely think we are going to win

1994 v man city and the scoreboard flashing that the pigs were down

1998 v Liverpool the Owen game, all sides of ground applauding him off the pitch

Mr meadows

Reserve programmes in the early 90's being folded photo copied paper

Catching the intercity owl across from were bieres sandwich shop now is

Parking up past in forty foot pub in the 90's and getting pop and crisps from the petrol station on the corner( now flats)

Family members away trips