Training ground improvements.

Rather than moving training ground, I'd be interested to know if we have considered buying the land adjacent that Gilders currently use.

Unlike the training ground (which is classified as open green space), Gilders site has been earmarked for house-building, (identified as part of the council's need to find so many sites for additional house-building as required by central government), so we could expand and build whatever we wanted including an indoor 4G pitch similar to what was part of the community plan down Penistone Road.

We could maybe even use some of the existing structures rather than developing everything from scratch, e.g. use showroom as offices, develop large garage for some sort of indoor centre. The only issue would be what price Gilders wanted, and whether they'd be prepared to leave (which when they ditched VW I thought was the plan, but think they are doing Seat now), but if it also included the Community Scheme then other funding sources could also be attracted which may make it a viable option.

If its allocated for housing then, unless we are building housing, we would have to demonstrate that the site could never realsitcally come forward in the near future for that use. I wouldve thought that if it hasnt been snapped up by housebuilders then it may be possible to do that via some kind of viability report. Otherwise, it could be pretty tricky as Council's dont want to lose extra ground on their 5 year housing land supply.

As you say, if it has put housebuilders off then perhaps it would price the club out too.

Love how Owlstalk works,

This is a genuine thread that actually on the scheme of things may make some kind of impact when you are showing potential new signings around, as well as actually making improvements for those already at the club to try to fulfil their potential a little better.    

Maybe not much outlay - are we thinking 50k, 100k, 500k?  I'm not sure but does it matter, it's an area that has obviously been identified as being weak and is being addressed.

Yet some people would as has been suggested - listen to the naff rumour threads instead.

I personally look at this and view it in a completely positive light, because if you take care of the minor details such as this, then ultimately I believe overall the total job is being done - loving how this new season is taking place, and that is before a signing is published (the signings I am sure have already happened behind the scenes to some extent) and before a head coach has been appointed.

I don't get the negativity.   

Edited by salmonbones

Ok, for the benefit of those that need a detailed explanation as to why anyone would have the sheer cheek to start a thread on anything other than bullshiit rumours or grass growing here goes...

I turned up with the young'un for the junior footy at the training ground yesterday morning to find an empty car park. Bloke on the gate told ME IT had been moved to Sheffield College as they were doing some improvements. Should have started last Monday (hence the move) but had been put back a week.

As I was away the week before I was unaware of said change of venue.

I asked the bloke what was being done and he mumbled something about the dome and fences and other stuff.

Didn't stick around to give him the third degree as we were now late, so I thought I'd ask on here if anyone knew anything else. Crazy idea I know, but I'm that's how I roll sometimes- just can't help myself.

Closed your own fred mate

That dome has been bleeding money out of the club for years. It costs a fortune to keep it up and when it falls down costs a fortune to repair when they can get the parts.

^^^ this

Would be better building a prefab building, the dome is expensive and in a sorry state now

Not claiming to be ITK but a friend of mine works in the fence and dome industry and said he submitted a tender a few months back for some work for SWFC. Don't know the ins and outs though

Fence AND dome industry. Thats a niche market

The Gate and Door industry would be an equally niche market in this instance - probably a closed shop or there may be demarcation issues to think about  WTF:

Edited by alcock dived

Ok, for the benefit of those that need a detailed explanation as to why anyone would have the sheer cheek to start a thread on anything other than bullshiitrumours or grass growing here goes...

I turned up with the young'un for the junior footy at the training ground yesterday morning to find an empty car park. Bloke on the gate told ME IT had been moved to Sheffield College as they were doing some improvements. Should have started last Monday (hence the move) but had been put back a week.

As I was away the week before I was unaware of said change of venue.

I asked the bloke what was being done and he mumbled something about the dome and fences and other stuff.

Didn't stick around to give him the third degree as we were now late, so I thought I'd ask on here if anyone knew anything else. Crazy idea I know, but I'm that's how I roll sometimes- just can't help myself.

Call yourself a Wednesday fan? You should have given him the third degree, kid wouldn't have minded.  Priority's!!! 

Rather than moving training ground, I'd be interested to know if we have considered buying the land adjacent that Gilders currently use.

Unlike the training ground (which is classified as open green space), Gilders site has been earmarked for house-building, (identified as part of the council's need to find so many sites for additional house-building as required by central government), so we could expand and build whatever we wanted including an indoor 4G pitch similar to what was part of the community plan down Penistone Road.

We could maybe even use some of the existing structures rather than developing everything from scratch, e.g. use showroom as offices, develop large garage for some sort of indoor centre. The only issue would be what price Gilders wanted, and whether they'd be prepared to leave (which when they ditched VW I thought was the plan, but think they are doing Seat now), but if it also included the Community Scheme then other funding sources could also be attracted which may make it a viable option.

Even with the Gilders site it would still be inadequate. Other clubs academies dwarf ours and its certainly not big enough to accommodate the first team development team and academy. The best ootion would be to buy Niagara and build a bridge over the Don although others have previously said that the planners wouldn't allow it.

No longer gilders owned. Sold to JCT600 along with VW and AUDI in Sheffield.