Dielna to Villa

There's a player in there...

at left back.

he's in a similar mould to reda. accident waiting to happen at CB.

His distribution took a turn for the worse towards the end of the season....notably at home. I've said it before. ..I believe he was told not to dilly dally about with it on a pitch with more lumps and bumps on it than a teenagers acne ridden face.

if villa came in with a decent cash bid then fair enough. but he has the raw attributes to be a decent enough LB. strong, physical & athletic. he's got a decent cross on him too.

We all no this is testicles but cant understand all the slagging Dielna gets it appears like chinese whispers one person says something so everybody follows like sheep.

He probably isnt good enough to play centre half for a promotion chasing team however at left back i think hes massively over rated and he actually does attempt to play the ball from the back but its far easier to just mention the odd times he hoofs it when theres no rascal available for him to pass it to.

Guest Johnbloodaxe

He's certainly not rubbish. There's a player in there, but it'll take a patient manager to get him to stop smashing it away first time as hard as he can. There's clearing your lines and staying on the side of caution...and then there's clearly having no clue what else to do with the ball when he receives it in the air in his own half.

I just can't see it happening for him here.

If it was to happen for him here it won't be at centre half. Definitely more of a left back than anything.

Maybe he was told to simply put his foot through it at home on "that" pitch..

Guest Ellis Rimmer

If Villa want a liability at LB with athletic prowess why don't they just get Reda Johnson for free?

How come all our defenders weren't doing the same then?

did you watch the 'football' at Hillsborough?

we rarely played it from the back. HOOF. Lees was probably the only play to get his foot on the ball (at times).

did you watch the 'football' at Hillsborough?

we rarely played it from the back. HOOF. Lees was probably the only play to get his foot on the ball (at times).

Correct.

But Dielna wouldn't even take a touch. Very rarely did Palmer/Lees/Mattock/Helan/Loovens receive the ball in the air and smash it away first time/second time on the volley with no thought or consideration into directing the ball. Dielna did that so often it became his trademark move...I began to just expect it.

There's hoofball and then there's just absolute carelessness.

He's certainly not rubbish. There's a player in there, but it'll take a patient manager to get him to stop smashing it away first time as hard as he can. There's clearing your lines and staying on the side of caution...and then there's clearly having no clue what else to do with the ball when he receives it in the air in his own half.

I just can't see it happening for him here.

If it was to happen for him here it won't be at centre half. Definitely more of a left back than anything.

I refuse to judge any of our players on that pitch towards the end of last season.

Also Lees liked to hoof it forward as well, he never got criticised for it.

The new manager should give everyone a clean slate and so should us fans. I've not seen enough of Dielna to form a fair opinion and neither has anyone else. He might be rubbish or he might improve or he might actually be quite good.

Correct.

But Dielna wouldn't even take a touch. Very rarely did Palmer/Lees/Mattock/Helan/Loovens receive the ball in the air and smash it away first time/second time on the volley with no thought or consideration into directing the ball. Dielna did that so often it became his trademark move...I began to just expect it.

There's hoofball and then there's just absolute carelessness.

So wrong. He did this a few times. He didn't do it every time he got the ball- that's untrue and unfair.

Stop forming opinions on a few isolated incidents. We've not seen enough of him yet.

I refuse to judge any of our players on that pitch towards the end of last season.

Also Lees liked to hoof it forward as well, he never got criticised for it.

The new manager should give everyone a clean slate and so should us fans. I've not seen enough of Dielna to form a fair opinion and neither has anyone else. He might be rubbish or he might improve or he might actually be quite good.

Dint really have any choice on that cabbage patch pitch. we couldnt play it out from the back on that surface. a pitch that bad dictates how you play to a degree.