Buxton's comments

Guest wilyfox

I think Gray set a precedence letting Reda go; two injury plagued seasons on the bounce and that's your lot. Buxton and Zayatte have fallen foul of that this time - as will Hutch next year if he can't sort his body out. I think it's a good thing. Injury can strike any time, but recurring themes must be dealt with, I suppose.

Edited by wilyfox

I didn't suggest he was.

I just thought, based on that quote, that if we didn't tell players face to face it's a bit off. Regardless of whether he's bothered

Agree dreadful by swfc if he found out by any other method than face to face

I think Gray set a precedence letting Reda go; two injury plagued seasons on the bounce and that's your lot. Buxton and Zayatte have fallen foul of that this time - as will Hutch next year if he can't sort his body out. I think it's a good thing. Injury can strike any time, but recurring themes must be dealt with, I suppose.

Yeah we can't afford to carry players with persistent injury problems. Or those that are not good enough.

It's just how you then go about it. I read once that graham Westley did it via text at PNE at that went down like a dog mess sandwich lol

Edited by Bluesteel

We all know that Gray is a nice bloke. Nice blokes hate confrontation. If Corry found out in the press, Buxton probably did as well. No other person is to blame in this than Gray. Shocking management again.

Why would we need to say owt to anybody if their contracts ran out?

It's bleeding obvious that you wouldn't turn up to work without one

Edited by council owl

I've got an element of sympathy re the way he found out, but the counter argument is that he has been paid hundreds of thousand of £'s over a number of years for either kicking a bag of wind about, or reading the Racing Post in the treatment room.

It's not clear what exactly happened from the article but what you are saying is basically footballers get paid a lot so don't worry about decency and respect towards them!

Guest wilyfox

I suspect those concerned already knew well in advance because Gray does things the proper way. When asked about players' futures, he always shut RS reporters down saying that was a private conversation to be had with the players first at the end of the season. I doubt he would then break his own conduct in the way reported.

I suspect those concerned already knew well in advance because Gray does things the proper way. When asked about players' futures, he always shut RS reporters down saying that was a private conversation to be had with the players first at the end of the season. I doubt he would then break his own conduct in the way reported.

Also, my guess is that all of the information, decisions and negotiation regarding Buxton's contract goes through his agent as the first point of contact (as with the vast majority of professional football players), therefore, it's Buxton's agent's responsibility to inform him that his contract won't be renewed.

Why would we need to say owt to anybody if their contracts ran out?

It's bleeding obvious that you wouldn't turn up to work without one

Maybe. But if I'd worked somewhere for the best part of ten years Id assume someone would have a word either way. I just assumed that's how things worked with most jobs.

As I say, it may not even be the case. Just picking up on what was insinuated in the article.

We will not be carrying any passengers on our next journey...those days are gone...anyone who doesn't contribute will be moved on...winners only

When asked about the retaining list Gray said it was totally down to him and he would be sitting down with the players concerned to discuss it. I accept this and I think that a team that has a settled defense win more games than one with injuries especially in the final months of the season, so, although I liked Lewes, i would rather have a player who's fit most of the time.

Just because we are wednesdayites doesn't mean we cant criticise them you know. If he found out via the media that is shitty

If being the operative word.  Too many people enjoy shitstirring on here.  

I dont really care what he says if im honest.

Not our problem no more.

I'll wait for your next complaint about player loyalty then.

Good player for us was lewis, no fuss, no rubbish off the pitch, had it not been for injuries we'd be in uproar about him not being offered a deal.

If (and it's a big if) he didn't find out directly, it's a poor way to treat an employee.

It may be that it isn't Stuarts job to tell a player he isn't getting a new contract but I would expect any manager to see a player who is out of contract and thank him for his efforts and wish him well for the future.

It's a common courtesy  and just good manners. I find it difficult to believe Stuart wouldn't have done so.

I can only assume it is bad reporting.