Average 30k in the top

No doubt we would average 35 k for a season or two mayby longer if we proggressed . The list of clubs whose crowds are, were poor in the championship who sell out week in week out in the prem is extensive

Back.in the early 90s only the 3 tuly big and continualy succesful clubs beat us by some way on numbers why can't it be we can match villa everton and the like again if the pigs can we can and more

We would absolutely average 30k+ in the Premier League in the current era.

Despite the pigs loving to bring up their 30k average at every opportunity to somehow "prove" that they did better than us, fact is that since 2000 top flight attendances have been much higher in general which they benefitted from and we missed out on. What they don't like to mention is that in the 3 seasons in the early 90s when they were in the top flight at the same time as us, we averaged 29.5k (4th highest in the country compared to their 30k in 2007 being the 11th-12th best), 27k and 27k, whilst their own average was 18,19 and 20k.

Another factor is away fans - these days the vast majority of away ends that I've seen on MOTD/Sky have been full, or very close to being full. PL fans travel in greater numbers than in the 80s-90s despite the high prices, and I'm sure that we'd benefit from this more than most because of the size of our away end - I can't think of another ground in the current PL which accommodates 6-7k away fans for league games.

So add several thousand more home fans attending plus a healthy away attendance week in week out, and we would easily top 30k most weeks, with 38-39k sellouts for the top 5-6 clubs.

Correct. Apros pos achieving a 34k-36k average.

We would absolutely average 30k+ in the Premier League in the current era.

Despite the pigs loving to bring up their 30k average at every opportunity to somehow "prove" that they did better than us, fact is that since 2000 top flight attendances have been much higher in general which they benefitted from and we missed out on. What they don't like to mention is that in the 3 seasons in the early 90s when they were in the top flight at the same time as us, we averaged 29.5k (4th highest in the country compared to their 30k in 2007 being the 11th-12th best), 27k and 27k, whilst their own average was 18,19 and 20k.

Another factor is away fans - these days the vast majority of away ends that I've seen on MOTD/Sky have been full, or very close to being full. PL fans travel in greater numbers than in the 80s-90s despite the high prices, and I'm sure that we'd benefit from this more than most because of the size of our away end - I can't think of another ground in the current PL which accommodates 6-7k away fans for league games.

So add several thousand more home fans attending plus a healthy away attendance week in week out, and we would easily top 30k most weeks, with 38-39k sellouts for the top 5-6 clubs.

I'm sorry but I can't get my head around the thought of a Wednesday fan wanting 6-7k away fans in Hillsborough, that's not what attendances are about these days in the prem, 3000 max at all the grounds, that means 31000 SWFC fans turning up each week for a 35k(ish) average.........that ain't ever going to happen.

I'm sorry but I can't get my head around the thought of a Wednesday fan wanting 6-7k away fans in Hillsborough, that's not what attendances are about these days in the prem, 3000 max at all the grounds, that means 31000 SWFC fans turning up each week for a 35k(ish) average.........that ain't ever going to happen.

So you think the 38k Wednesday fans who turned up for the Wycombe game in the third tier will decrease by 7k to watch our team in the Prem against the likes of United, Chelsea,City, Arsenal, Liverpool et al? We would average 34k minimum and the sooner that can be proven the better.

Eh? Who said anything about "wanting" 6-7k away fans? I'm saying why we would definitely average 30k+. We'd get 37k+ for a third of the fixtures against the top clubs for a start.

It's a simple fact - we'd have probably the largest away allocation in the PL and about half the clubs in the division would definitely fill it - Chelsea, Man U, Man C, Liverpool, Everton, Arsenal, Spurs, Newcastle, Sunderland. Plus the likes of West Ham, Villa, Hull, Stoke would bring decent followings even if they may not quite fill it.

We're averaging roughly 20k home fans for the most boring and frustrating home season in living memory, so it's far from unrealistic to suggest that we wouldn't get many more than that in the Prem (following what would be a successful promotion campaign remember, which in itself would propel gates to 25k+ in the Championship). If the pigs average home support can jump by around 7k for a Prem season, why wouldn't ours?

When I started going regularly in the late 50's our capacity was 65,000 it has now been gradually reduced to somewhere around the 38,000 mark.

Generally speaking our prices have always been on the cheaper side and the club have failed to seriously engage in the transition to maximise season ticket sales. Consequently most of our bigger gates of the late 50's and 60's were achieved on the back of the fact that all fans were aware that there would be plenty of walk-up availability. So if we were playing well, on a nice day, against attractive opposition who had a decent following we would burst the 40k mark, sometimes quite heavily.

These days, even with offers the North sells quite well at the expense of the Kop. The Kop can't really be relied upon for seats for small groups because all the unrestricted views are taken and fans don't want to be stuck behind a pole are separate from their mates.

I feel that the 40K crowds are within reach but the poles on the Kop have to go and the redevelopment of the West has to take us back into the realms of being a top European stadium with a 50K capacity. Furthermore, the push to maximise season ticket sales with different classification of tickets so affordable packages on within the reach of all fans; if increasing day ticket prices helps achieve this then so be it.

Then a following wind would see us average well in excess of the 30K figure with a good few near sell outs.  

Edited by nevthelodgemoorowl

Every club that was in the first season of the premier league and is there this season has seen their attendances rise.

Some by 5k or so but some clubs by nearly 10k. Chelsea I think for one.

Get back in the big time and spend money and people do appear from nowhere.

Crowds have increased from 99/2000 but that increase has tended to come from clubs who were selling out its capacity back then and have had to either move stadium or extend because of demand for tickets.

The year you were relegated the average PL attendance was 30, 750. Last season it was 36,631, so an increase in average attendance of 5,881.

Now look at all the extra seats available every game last season compared to 99/2000

18000 at Man U, 22,000 at Arsenal, 16,000 at Newcastle, 8,000 at Sunderland, 17,000 at Southampton and so on.

Everton were averaging mid thirties back then as were Villa and they both are today. Liverpool averaged 44k and they do today.

Chelsea, despite not having their billions back then averaged 35k when Stamford Bridge held 38k so pretty close to capacity.

Lets not forget that season you averaged 24,855 meaning around 14,000 empty seats per game over the season.

So yes, crowds have increased but only where demand has outstripped supply.

Edited by just visiting

over 35k for me, can't wait to bump this thread in a few years

You have 15,000 season ticket holders in the Championship with a regular 5k walk up and an away following of 1,500.

So lets say all the walk up plus an extra 2,000 novelty buyers purchase season tickets along with the usual 15,000 and the away following averaged out at 3,000, that's 25,000.

Your hard core support is already accounted for in season tickets, do you really have another 10,000 walk up fans that will attend every game to achieve a 35k+ average? I can't see it.

I think you just top 30k in your first season with a little help from higher than average away numbers (novelty factor and big allocation) but after that, when Stoke, Swansea, WBA and the like revert to 1-1.5k followings, you'd be back to mid-late twenties.

Edited by just visiting

Guest totemowl

Only thing preventing us averaging 25k in the Championship is sustained success in play off positions.

Only thing that would prevent us getting back to 28k+ average attendance in the Premiership is being there.

Plenty of evidence to suggest we can exceed those, and exceed them quite easily.

All those talking about core attendances based on past attendances completely ignore the fact that traditional clubs who have typically had lower attendances than ours, are getting significantly higher attendances in the Premiership. These include the ones who've increased capacity. just bullshit

We have a relatively poor product that is getting good attendances at the moment. A better product will increase demand, just as it does in any other business. Just as it was doing here in the mid-nineties.

You have 15,000 season ticket holders in the Championship with a regular 5k walk up and an away following of 1,500.

So lets say all the walk up plus an extra 2,000 novelty buyers purchase season tickets along with the usual 15,000 and the away following averaged out at 3,000, that's 25,000.

Your hard core support is already accounted for in season tickets, do you really have another 10,000 walk up fans that will attend every game to achieve a 35k+ average? I can't see it.

I think you just top 30k in your first season with a little help from higher than average away numbers (novelty factor and big allocation) but after that, when Stoke, Swansea, WBA and the like revert to 1-1.5k followings, you'd be back to mid-late twenties.

United averaged 23k in their 05/06 promotion season. Then 30k in the PL. An extra 7k.

Considering we would, 100% average more than 23k in a championship promotion campaign (say 26/27k), it's not exactly unreasonable to suggest we'd average at least 34k in the PL is it?

United averaged 23k in their 05/06 promotion season. Then 30k in the PL. An extra 7k.

Considering we would, 100% average more than 23k in a championship promotion campaign (say 26/27k), it's not exactly unreasonable to suggest we'd average at least 34k in the PL is it?

So with an average away support of say 3k,  you'd basically sell out all home seats for every game?

Edited by just visiting

So with an average away support of say 3k,  you'd basically sell out all home seats for every game?

Well I suppose segregation would have an impact on maximum capacity. The point I'm making though, is if United's demand can increase by 7k (on average), why can't ours? You don't think we'd average more than 23k in a championship promotion campaign?

Well I suppose segregation would have an impact on maximum capacity. The point I'm making though, is if United's demand can increase by 7k (on average), why can't ours? You don't think we'd average more than 23k in a championship promotion campaign?

I didn't say that but I would say that if a promotion campaign averaged 26/27k then you wouldn't have an extra 7k on top of that, maybe 3/4.

Like I say just touching 30k.

Throughout the history of both Sheffield clubs the difference in support is not as great as some Owls fans would like to think.

Do you think you would sell out all 31,000 ish home seats every game?

I didn't say that but I would say that if a promotion campaign averaged 26/27k then you wouldn't have an extra 7k on top of that, maybe 3/4.

Like I say just touching 30k.

Throughout the history of both Sheffield clubs the difference in support is not as great as some Owls fans would like to think.

Do you think you would sell out all 31,000 ish home seats every game?

Why would we need to? We'd sell out enough to average well over 30k imo.

Man U, City, Liverpool, Chelsea possibly Arsenal. All sell outs. That's 39k in 5 games. First season back up, Newcastle, Sunderland, Everton, spurs, even Villa would all attract huge crowds. As long as we didn't cop for the Palace, Stoke, Swansea games all on Tuesday nights, we'd average over 33k over the season.

To me, it seems that a promotion season in the Championship would see home crowds of 25k (Up from around the 19-20 with this dire season)- and I don't think it'd be unreasonable to suggest another 3k on top of that in a Premier League campaign.

With a "core" support of 28k, I would imagine that our crowds in the prem would range from 28k for the smaller games and near or total sell outs for the big teams, bolstered of course by the 5,000+ away fans depending on SYP's willingness to use sensible instead of extensive segregation. I would suspect with this being the case our mean average for the season would be around 32k-33k with our median average being around 29-30k. Hardly an unreasonable estimation in my opinion and if anything I think I'm being a little conservative.

Student owl - We averaged 24k in our first season back in the championship. Only Leeds brought anything like a proper following that year. We finished about 19th didn't we?

If we were challenging at the top if the championship all season and ended up getting promoted, we'd average 27k at least.

And why would we only increase that by 3k in the PL when United's went up by 7k?

So you think we'd only sell an extra 2000 season tickets if we got to the premier league lol

We're not talking about Leeds Uniteds home support here

We're talking about Wednesday and we'd p!$$ all over the blades home support when they were in the premiership