Average 30k in the top

We would absolutely average 30k+ in the Premier League in the current era.

Despite the pigs loving to bring up their 30k average at every opportunity to somehow "prove" that they did better than us, fact is that since 2000 top flight attendances have been much higher in general which they benefitted from and we missed out on. What they don't like to mention is that in the 3 seasons in the early 90s when they were in the top flight at the same time as us, we averaged 29.5k (4th highest in the country compared to their 30k in 2007 being the 11th-12th best), 27k and 27k, whilst their own average was 18,19 and 20k.

Another factor is away fans - these days the vast majority of away ends that I've seen on MOTD/Sky have been full, or very close to being full. PL fans travel in greater numbers than in the 80s-90s despite the high prices, and I'm sure that we'd benefit from this more than most because of the size of our away end - I can't think of another ground in the current PL which accommodates 6-7k away fans for league games.

So add several thousand more home fans attending plus a healthy away attendance week in week out, and we would easily top 30k most weeks, with 38-39k sellouts for the top 5-6 clubs.

Anybody who doesn't think a club like Wednesday in the the top flight wouldn't average around 35K is either too young to remember us being any good, or is on smack.

Even the pigs managed 30K average in the premier league recently and their support is rubbish compared to ours.

39K capacity won't be big enough when Man U, Liverpool, Arsenal, Man City, Chelsea, come to town

Then there's Everton, Spurs, Newcastle, that will be near sell outs

Below that there'll be probably be West Ham, Sunderland, type clubs that would still attract over 30K attendances

In the mid 80's we'd get 48/49K against Man U and Liverpool when attendances were smaller than today FFS.

During the worst 15 years in our history, never looking likely to get anywhere near a return to the top flight, enduring hopeless players and playing pub teams like Stevenage, Torquay and Rushden we've averaged 20,000.  On Saturday (I know it was cheap) we had the seventh highest crowd in Great Britain..  We would easily average 32,000 in the PL.  Against Swansea on a cold February night we might only get 24,000, but for Arsenal,, Man U Man C, liverpool, Chelsea the ground would be full.  Nearly full for Newcastle, Aston Villa, Spurs and Everton.   Since we were last there the PL crowds have totally changed, they are MUCH higher.

Our fans have had that many false dawns it is going to take time to build support up,South yorkshire  is one of the poorest Areas in the country so what will it cost £40 or £50 a game .Football is going beyond the normal fans pockets .I spoke to one fan who has run buses to away games for 30+yrs at ipswich,Said to me i can afford this in championship premiership too much for me.This bloke has not missed an home game in 37 yrs and a regular away fan .Thought how sad this bloke has given his lifes support to the owls and  now he just cant afford it any more.To you single fans living with parents ,or Married with no kids it might be affordable but dont you think the price will dictate our average in the premier.?

Anybody who doesn't think a club like Wednesday in the the top flight wouldn't average around 35K is either too young to remember us being any good, or is on smack.

Even the pigs managed 30K average in the premier league recently and their support is rubbish compared to ours.

39K capacity won't be big enough when Man U, Liverpool, Arsenal, Man City, Chelsea, come to town

Then there's Everton, Spurs, Newcastle, that will be near sell outs

Below that there'll be probably be West Ham, Sunderland, type clubs that would still attract over 30K attendances

In the mid 80's we'd get 48/49K against Man U and Liverpool when attendances were smaller than today FFS.

i´m not to young ,ive seen us when we were quite good & i´m not on smack but only once in my 53 years of watching us have we averaged over 30k  ......if we are struggling which we probably would be then the floating fan isnt going to pay 35-45 quid to watch sunderland ,west ham and the like ......if they price it right then i think we could average over 30 k but if they do get greedy the i think we may struggle to get near your 35k unless we have a very good side .

Promised I wouldn't say this again but feel forced to make the point that capacity is currently too big.

Simple economics. Supply of seats exceeds demand. This affects ST sales such that smaller clubs entering prem eg Soton Stoke Norwich and (God forbid) Pigs SELL OUT from the word go. If we go up, we will end up like Villa - lumbering around with erratic attendances.

Aldridge should get Chansiri to redevelop Hillsborough with a view to improving facilities. If we lose 5000 seats it will prove to be a blessing in disguise.

PS Honest perhaps related question. Impressed though I am with 20% of Sunderlands population going to games, I wonder sometimes whether there are at least 10k who would be better off at home as they seem to walk out as soon as they go behind.

Promised I wouldn't say this again but feel forced to make the point that capacity is currently too big.

Simple economics. Supply of seats exceeds demand. This affects ST sales such that smaller clubs entering prem eg Soton Stoke Norwich and (God forbid) Pigs SELL OUT from the word go. If we go up, we will end up like Villa - lumbering around with erratic attendances.

Aldridge should get Chansiri to redevelop Hillsborough with a view to improving facilities. If we lose 5000 seats it will prove to be a blessing in disguise.

PS Honest perhaps related question. Impressed though I am with 20% of Sunderlands population going to games, I wonder sometimes whether there are at least 10k who would be better off at home as they seem to walk out as soon as they go behind.

villa have a bigger ground than us and havnt averaged under 33k for many years if thats lumbering around with erratic attendances then bring it on  ....stoke & norwich sell out most games and never average over 27k .....the economics of that tells me villa may have a few empty seats but take more in gate receipts than the other 2 . .....how can losing 5000 seats be a blessing in disguise ?....

Until we sell around 22-23k season tickets, which from recollection we have never done in my 30 odd years of going to Hillsborough we won't average anywhere near 35k, we could scrape 30k on a Premiership return possibly but folk on here banging on about 35k+ forget it.

And you'll all moan about the bloody price anyway

Until we sell around 22-23k season tickets, which from recollection we have never done in my 30 odd years of going to Hillsborough we won't average anywhere near 35k, we could scrape 30k on a Premiership return possibly but folk on here banging on about 35k+ forget it.

And you'll all moan about the bloody price anyway

This.

It wasn't too big for the Wycombe match in the third division where tickets were appearing on Ebay for upwards of £1k or the Crystal Palace match where there was a waiting list for tickets and season ticket holders who couldn't make it were being asked if they would sell their tickets back to the club.

One off matches with lots riding on them but all of those fans who came out of the woodwork for those matches and those who couldn't get tickets would be back in force again wanting to watch the likes of Man Utd, Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal at Hillsborough.

In the Premier League of today, Hillsborough would not be too big for Sheffield Wednesday.

We wouldn't get close to what the Blades got in 06/07.

We would average 26k.

Our support isn't what people think it is..

Pork

One off matches with lots riding on them but all of those fans who came out of the woodwork for those matches and those who couldn't get tickets would be back in force again wanting to watch the likes of Man Utd, Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal at Hillsborough.

So they don't actually want to watch Wednesday, just interested in watching the Premiership big boys, not really owls fans at all, if you are a genuine fan, you would go to watch WEDNESDAY regardless of who they were playing, would you not?

Just one of pet peeves I'm afraid.

Guest totemowl

So they don't actually want to watch Wednesday, just interested in watching the Premiership big boys, not really owls fans at all, if you are a genuine fan, you would go to watch WEDNESDAY regardless of who they were playing, would you not?

Just one of pet peeves I'm afraid.

What a supporter you must be. I guess you've never missed a game in 55 years?

Unless of course you're not a genuine fan....

Edited by totemowl

What a supporter you must be. I guess you've never missed a game in 55 years?

Unless of course you're not a genuine fan....

Well 45 years, first went in 1970, been at Hillsborough when there have only been 7,000 there in the 70's and watched them away from Carlisle to Torquay in the 80's, missed plenty since having the face on after the 93 cup final I admit but when I go it's to watch Wednesday, who they are playing wouldn't be a consideration.

Guest totemowl

Well 45 years, first went in 1970, been at Hillsborough when there have only been 7,000 there in the 70's and watched them away from Carlisle to Torquay in the 80's, missed plenty since having the face on after the 93 cup final I admit but when I go it's to watch Wednesday, who they are playing wouldn't be a consideration.

I see where you're coming from but for those who can't or don't go every game, they shouldn't be castigated for picking and choosing (say Man U over Palace), as long as it's Wednesday first.