Average 30k in the top

Seen several threads previously questioning if we could manage a 30000 average in the premiership, looking at the paper today some of the attendances from 23 years ago were

Everton v pigs - 18,285

Leeds v Chelsea - 31,263

QPR v Spurs - 20,678

West Ham v Norwich - 16,895

Us v Man City - 32,138

We'd smash 30k easy!

Seen several threads previously questioning if we could manage a 30000 average in the premiership, looking at the paper today some of the attendances from 23 years ago were

Everton v pigs - 18,285

Leeds v Chelsea - 31,263

QPR v Spurs - 20,678

West Ham v Norwich - 16,895

Us v Man City - 32,138

We'd smash 30k easy!

What were the AVERAGES?  Not just for one game.

Just not bothered...

Its not just that we would attract a lot of our own fans back out of the woodwork but if we were the only premiership club for miles around it would attract your average footy fan who might want to see some of the best players in the world perform in a local stadium. My guess is that for most games we would pull well in excess of 30k.

Its not just that we would attract a lot of our own fans back out of the woodwork but if we were the only premiership club for miles around it would attract your average footy fan who might want to see some of the best players in the world perform in a local stadium. My guess is that for most games we would pull well in excess of 30k.

It's a good point re average other fans, a lot of none attending Liverpool, Man Utd fans throughout south yorks

Guest Kagoshimaowl

What a load of tripe. When we were a Premier League club our average attendance was not that good. I am no statto but I remember going to the ground around half full during the late 90's. My guess is that our Premier League average would be about 24,000. Not bad but nowt to shout home about. Many of our fans are part time glory hunters, lets not kid ourselves.

I reckon we'd get around the 30k mark in our first season back, heck we may get a bit more (34k?). 

But, if we were to stagnate in that division (quite likely), then I'd see us dropping to an average of the mid to high 20s. 

Most teams in the Prem are just there to make up the numbers and we, unless Chansiri is planning on going mental with his spending, would probably end up doing something similar. 

First thing to do it to actually have a team capable of finishing in the top 6 of the Championship. 

Guest Ash76

Attendances on the whole are higher since then, lowest attendance of the season would be about 25k with an average of over 30k and at least 5 sell outs

Chelsea in the top league in the 90's..averaged 19'000 at times...its 40 odd thousand now

Southampton in the 90's averaged 15000..its doubled now

Everton....20000...its 37'000 now...

footballs changed.......

Chelsea was an unfashionable dump and the dell only held 15k. Mid to late 90s we would sell out for Man U Liverpool 30 odd for Newcastle arsenal and as low as 16 for cov Wimbledon etc

Chelsea was an unfashionable dump and the dell only held 15k. Mid to late 90s we would sell out for Man U Liverpool 30 odd for Newcastle arsenal and as low as 16 for cov Wimbledon etc

Ok then..

Stoke 

Spurs

West Ham

West Brom ................................

http://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/englandcontent.htm

Edited by asteener1867

Considering the last time we were promoted to the top flight we were the 4th best supported side in the country the following year, I'd expect us to average around 35k.

This^^

I don't understand how some fellow Owls don't get that our crowds would be impressive.

The last time we were in the Prem with the pigs our average was a few thousand higher than theirs.

Considering they averaged 30,000 there in 2006 it's a no brainer that we would average around 35,000

We have historically been the bigger club with the ability to pull in massive crowds when it mattered.

Sure, we have had low crowds in the past as have all teams. I remember Everton pulling in only 13,000 against Coventry in the early to mid 80's and Newcastle around 14,000 against us on the Tuesday night i went up there when they beat us 1-0 with a wind assisted Kevin Brock goal. The following Sunday John Sheridan performed his 'Dink' for us at Wembley.

The fact is where us and the Blunts are concerned, however low we've been, they've been lower, however high they've been, we've been higher, and that, Ladies and Gentlemen, is a statistical fact!

UTO!

What a load of tripe. When we were a Premier League club our average attendance was not that good. I am no statto but I remember going to the ground around half full during the late 90's. My guess is that our Premier League average would be about 24,000. Not bad but nowt to shout home about. Many of our fans are part time glory hunters, lets not kid ourselves.

So you think a Sheffield Wednesday side currently 13th in the Championship would only attract just over 2,000 more fans playing in the Worlds biggest league?? Really?.

SYP permitting with current capacity I am wiling to bet anyone we would average 34k minimum.

This^^

I don't understand how some fellow Owls don't get that our crowds would be impressive.

The last time we were in the Prem with the pigs our average was a few thousand higher than theirs.

Considering they averaged 30,000 there in 2006 it's a no brainer that we would average around 35,000

We have historically been the bigger club with the ability to pull in massive crowds when it mattered.

Sure, we have had low crowds in the past as have all teams. I remember Everton pulling in only 13,000 against Coventry in the early to mid 80's and Newcastle around 14,000 against us on the Tuesday night i went up there when they beat us 1-0 with a wind assisted Kevin Brock goal. The following Sunday John Sheridan performed his 'Dink' for us at Wembley.

The fact is where us and the Blunts are concerned, however low we've been, they've been lower, however high they've been, we've been higher, and that, Ladies and Gentlemen, is a statistical fact!

UTO!

Spot on.