The pitch at Hillsborough causing players to tense up

Sunday league teams play on worse pitches and score more goals.

If the problem is that the tactics aren't working for the pitch, then change the tactics. If some players can't cut it on the pitch and don't play them.

Something is extremely off at home and I feel we're constantly pushing the same thing without any results so we need to change something. But as if that something is the pitch!

The pitch is atrocious and we're more set up to be more dangerous on the counter-attack away from home.

But at home, I agree we should try something different. Different tactics (I'd personally like to see us play 3-5-2 with wing-backs similar to Bristol City at home) or different personnel.

We haven't got many options to be fair to Gray. Our forwards are all too similar and lack pace and experience.

We could switch it around and have the same results at home. We should try something different though.

However we haven't got the players or the attacking options to go at teams at home.

Last season we had the likes of Wickham, Fryatt & Best on loan and we had the likes of Antonio on the wings running at teams with pace, plus we had goals from other areas of the team.

Despite all this; our lower league pitch, our low bottom 3 budget and our lower league level attacking options and despite Gray still awaiting a DOF he was promised ages ago,

we're still somehow in the top ten. Which was beyond any sane expectation before the season started and quite remarkable to be honest.

Is the state of the pitch to blame for the fact we can't take a set piece properly; we run out of ideas in the last third; we are set up to counter attack; no-one can cross; we don't give ourselves options when in possession; no-one apart from Jezza will run at defences etc.

Yeah, the pitch, Atdhe, Stevie May, the crowd and the lack of a scoreboard are the real reasons we struggle at home...

So we can add the pitch to list of stuff neglected under Milan's tenure

Let's hope the takeover is the real deal this time.

Because the longer we go on neglecting the pitch; the stadium, the facilities, the commercial and our attacking options

the more and more money we'll lose and the less attractive we will become to any real potential investors.

And with it the progress made under Stuart Gray and an inevitable return to reality of more battles to just stay up in the future to look forward to.  :milan:

Edited by MilansMissingMarbles

The pitch is not great granted but the pitch doesn't stop players putting a decent cross in .The pitch doesn't stop players at least hitting the target from free kicks . The pitch doesn't stop players being able to put a good corner in. The pitch doesn't stop players getting in to the box .Its become a convenient excuse now .

Astounds me that when I went for some tickets the other day after the Bolton game, the team were training on the pitch!!!

The pitch did decide the style and tempo of the game, but I felt we dealt with it a lot better than we did in the previous home game. How it has got in such a state after only playing a couple of home games on it is a mystery - have the team been training on it all winter or something?

Wonder how much money has been set aside for the pitch this season....probably about £100 for a few bags of sand and some grass seed.

Sunday league teams play on worse pitches and score more goals.

If the problem is that the tactics aren't working for the pitch, then change the tactics. If some players can't cut it on the pitch and don't play them.

Something is extremely off at home and I feel we're constantly pushing the same thing without any results so we need to change something. But as if that something is the pitch!

Bit of a daft comment that really wasn't it... 

Iv been saying the pitch needs sorting for ages, it's pathetic and has been for many years now. We are totally tinpot even to clubs like Rotherham in this regard. It's embarrasing to be honest.

Fans pay their money to see good football and goals, well how are we supposed to do that on a pitch that belongs in the non leagues. It's only decent for the first couple of months of the season and that's not good enough. It's no surprise we play better football away from home and get better results.

£27 I paid last night to watch both teams struggle on a tinpot pitch. Boring to watch and il make the leeds game my last this season at Hillsborough.

It needs sorting in the summer no excuses Milan!

Presumably the playing surface deteriorated as the game went on as first half hour we passed it around confidently I thought.

The passing move which resulted in Maghomas chance was the highlight of the night, the rest of the time it was painful to watch. Felt sorry for helan when the ball bobbled and hit the back of his leg and out for a throw in.

Guest The Horse

The pitch is affecting play.

Sunday league / old skool 70's players are just not comparable to the athletes who play in our league.

Running at full pelt on a bad pitch means players will be wary of pulling, twisting and straining themselves.

We used to have one of the best pitches in the country.

As others said elsewhere, it won't get better until the drainage has been repaired. Anything until then is just patching the problem.

Rotherham have a brand new stadium and spent a small fortune on installing the best pitch money can buy. We can't compare.

Can remember years ago when it was in similar state and we had half of Blackpool beach on it.

As others have said, I wont be paying £27 to watch 0-0 draws and see two teams continuously lump it upfront from the back - I can see that for free on a Sunday.

I bet the Thai's were impressed anyway.....best add a couple of zero's to how much money the clubs needs to bring it off it's knees (financially).

..did we get screwed over by the insurance company after the floods then? ... or has someone dropped a total b@ll@ck and messed up how it was repaired and laid ? Surely the money should have covered the replacement of playing surface of equal quality. Indeed you would have thought that they could have used the fact it was stripped back to make it even better?