George Courtney - Spennymoor

This is bringing together Wednesday fans of a certain age! As a qualified referee t that time I can say that, technically, he wasn't a bad ref. But when he got us his judgement went right out of the window. I have abused some referees in my time, but none more than Courtney. He made my blood boil at the time and my blood pressure's going up even typing this...

I was at the Villa game when he sent Megson off , he was totally against us that night.

On the way home I  stopped for petrol,  as I turned round in the shop after paying , he was stood right in front of me. I told him exactly what I thought of him.

I good away win, with 10 men and a go at the ref after happy day. 

Guest Gershwin

attachicon.gifCourtney.jpg

Used to really hate it when it was announced he was going to ref our matches

He was like the Margaret Thatcher of the football world to me. The one you hated, and also the one you actually really loved to hate too

Pulled some right stunts when he referee'd our games

Anyone remember him ?

Don't have any views on past prime ministers myself. Not sure your political dislikes (let alone hates) are especially helpful on a football forum. As I recall, Courtney was very democratic. He picked on everyone equally. He was meant to be hot on offsides. Hope today's ref keeps his offside eye on Blackburn's slick forwards today.