Possible youngsters into first team squad 2014

Anybody got an idea who they expect to break thru into the first team this year ??

The young French striker Betra ??   Heard big things are hoped of him..

Jack Stobbs - Had a brief sniff last season - can he continue the step up.

Maybe some of the new lads who have come in..

Brad Beatson trained with the first team and came close to travelling with the squad on a few occasions last season due to our CB injury crisis, the only reason he didn't was due to 11th hour loans, I don't see any reason why he can't build on that this season if he gets his head down and works hard.

If we bring in the players we need to bring in, I can't see any of them breaking into the squad. Some impressive performances for the development side might get them games on loan elsewhere I reckon

Can I just qualify this with, it's not that I don't rate these youngsters, I do, it's similar to the Chelsea scenario. Their youth team were the best in the country but none were even close to breaking into the first team. If we are successful, as we hope to be, then our youngsters will have to get their experience out on loan. That's what big clubs do

I expect a couple to go out on loan, but to be honest this is Lavery's break through year. He only really came into the fray last season due to our lack of options.

Saying that, we should always have one or two around the fringes, warming the bench and maybe coming on as a sub from time to time.

Now if we can be comfortably winning more games it will give us a greater chance to break through these youngsters.

and we can use cup games to throw them in at the deep end in.

I don't know enough about the players like some but I'd expect to see more from floro and to to a lesser extent wildsmith (warming a bench in the cup)

Probably Stobbs, perhaps Betra. Would like to see Hanna getting his chance as well. Could be a bit of fresh air for us with his tigerish all action playing style.

Hanna's a proper old fashioned midfielder. Cracking engine, tackles hard and keeps the team ticking over. If he was bigger and had more bulk I reckon he'd be on the verge if the first team.

This is one of the reasons the German national team flourish. In the Bundesliga they nurture homegrown talent cancelling the need to make overseas imports a priority.

I hope some of our domestic youngsters get their chance.

Edited by Tommo_SWFC

Brad Beatson trained with the first team and came close to travelling with the squad on a few occasions last season due to our CB injury crisis, the only reason he didn't was due to 11th hour loans, I don't see any reason why he can't build on that this season if he gets his head down and works hard.

This is who my tip is to properly break into our first team. Loads of potential!

Couldn't agree more pal.

One of the problems is the completely thick decision to do away with the reserve team format (a national issue not Wednesday). The logical link in the not too distant past was youth team - reserve team - first team. The middle stage being where young pros with talent came up against some established pros every week in the reserve league.

For some reason this was abandoned and now we play kids against other kids (or against semi pros in the summer where they get smashed) and then wonder why we don't bring players through.

It's bizarre.

Edited by ka58

This is one of the reasons the German national team flourish. In the Bundesliga they nurture homegrown talent cancelling the need to make overseas imports a priority.

I hope some of our domestic youngsters get their chance.

This is the best post on the subject to date.

If we go out and try to buy success,something that has been a resounding success for us in the past, it will hold back the developing players we have at the club.

This is the best post on the subject to date.

If we go out and try to buy success,something that has been a resounding success for us in the past, it will hold back the developing players we have at the club.

I agree with the concept totally - but nothing i read / hear suggests we've got the players capable of stepping up. Certainly not in sufficient numbers

Hanna's a proper old fashioned midfielder. Cracking engine, tackles hard and keeps the team ticking over. If he was bigger and had more bulk I reckon he'd be on the verge if the first team.

What like Xavi and Iniesta