Best Johny Fantham Photo?

Thanks Utah. That's the one I cut out of the paper and stuck to my bedroom wall as a kid. My all time favourite pic from any era

I just love the pictures where the player is totally airborne like that. For some reason they seem extra special when in monochrome too.

Here's another one:

attachicon.gifth-38.jpeg

He certainly took an awesome photo or was it just that the photographers in those days were just better?

Hoops again on the socks, got really like that!

That my friend is not a picture of John Fantham.

It is THE picture of John Fantham, how I will always remember the great man himself. When you stood on the kop and the ball missed the net, you blooming well ducked, you wouldn't want one of those in your kisser  :rolleyes:

Blimey Utah. I'm sure I had that one on my bedroom wall as well. I think the photographers then were proper pros. None of that digital stuff then.

That's a save by Ron straight out of a Roy of the Rovers comic. Don't think we'll ever have a keeper like that again. None that followed him were in his class.

People of that era talk about Gordon Banks but I believe Ron was better. Unfortunately their Peter just wasn't in the same league

That my friend is not a picture of John Fantham.

It is THE picture of John Fantham, how I will always remember the great man himself. When you stood on the kop and the ball missed the net, you blooming well ducked, you wouldn't want one of those in your kisser  :rolleyes:

The sort of player that when he hit the ball the ball stayed hit!

That'd account for why it didn't really look like Ralph O'Donnell. I'd forgotten all about Eddie Holliday. Not the greatest of wingers as I remember

he could catch rabbits eddie but football wasnt quite so easy for him .......how he played for england is beyond me .

On ‎02‎/‎07‎/‎2014 at 20:32, dunsbyowl said:

Old Wednesday historian Keith Farnsworth has come up with this wonderful photo of Johnny Fantham at Hillsborough. What a cracking photo!

10442911_1494589050777008_69646381006436

I think that's the game from 63' when Birchenall made his debut and scored two when we lost 3-0

I remember Fantham from my youth, great player.

It always seemed that he could nick a goal in the last couple of minutes either to get the win or the draw. He didn't seem to get last minute goals if you were already winning or a couple of goals down but at 0-0 or 0-1 you never gave up hope if he was playing.

Maybe it was just my youthful optimism but it always seemed that way.

Those were the days.

16 minutes ago, prowl said:

I remember Fantham from my youth, great player.

It always seemed that he could nick a goal in the last couple of minutes either to get the win or the draw. He didn't seem to get last minute goals if you were already winning or a couple of goals down but at 0-0 or 0-1 you never gave up hope if he was playing.

Maybe it was just my youthful optimism but it always seemed that way.

Those were the days.

Two last minute goals I remember we're a 1-1 draw with Man City and a 2-2 draw with Man U