Before the Internet was invented and the Church of Knowledge

How did we find out about new signings?

Think back to days of old like the 1980's and early 90's when there was no internet like we have it today. No mobile devices, laptops and tablets for instant access to info. It seems so normal now to just fire up the official site and have all the latest news at our fingertips--it's like a fountain of delights in a magical news source world of twitter, instagram, faecebook and our beloved owlstalk, which let's be honest is like the church of knowledge.

A church of sorts, yeah. I like to imagine here on owlstalk we're sat at the gates of a great kingdom, something like The Shire maybe, but it's more of a refugee camp or a camp before the start of a great war and we're all peasants squatting before the great gates of the SWFC church, its walls high with statues of stone owls sitting either side of the gates looking down on us menacingly. Atop the hill sits the great church in the clouds where the knowledge is filtered down to us like brain food that keeps us going through the famine that is pre-season. And we all live in little huts that have a toilet and a keyboard and we have no face but are represented by an avatar that floats around the camp. The keyboard is plugged into the SWFC church and a great screen sits on the hill where we take in the info or share with our subjects and to be honest it is a nice place but a bit odd. 

Ah yes back to that famine I mentioned. The great famine that turns the peasants into crazies. Some claim to be in the know, some repost news from shady and untrustworthy sources and then get shot down and taken away in the night as a gang of rowdies sing a song about some pope dying or something. Under an old tree sits the 'sauce' of the Patrick Kluivert in the car park story, rocking back and forth staring blankly at the tree of broken promises. Every so often he will shout out for Brian Laws to come save him. A man in a straight jacket is rolling around asking for the date of Billy Sharp's arrival, he has gone mad. A scarecrow sits in a field and talks about Adam Le Fondre but is he a scarecrow? Down by the sewer a young boy with no shoes is begging for used ticket stubs. It's a crazy place down here that is for certain.

All the peasants are equal but some more so than others. Some have more internet points than others after many a day sat in the hut bashing away at their keyboard machines, fostering opinion from the others, some will agree and some won't, the result is the magical internet point. Other veterans with long beards will sit by the river, fishing, wizened by the many famines they have seen, they have posts in the 5 figure area, tens of thousands of posts like a badge of great honour and some even have fancy titles. Some even have a key to the kingdom but they choose to wait down near the gates to moderate the population and make sure the posts are up to standard and will appease the SWFC gods above.

And then a rumour starts to gain traction and the keyboards start bashing into life and it is a beautiful song of keys a'tapping away. Then it is officially announced and blue and white smoke billows from a chimney high above the church and the masses clamber in a panic to make it back to their keys in time to dish out their viewpoint and give the new man a thousand lashings as a welcome to the hell that is the SWFC fan and his pre-judging viewpoint. But it's okay cos that's all normal, it's what they do innit? And then as if by some heavenly intervention another signing sneaks through on the same day and the people haven't even had chance to give opinion on the first guy yet and trumpets start playing in the distance and somebody is heard saying that they've never 'eard of him as a thousand F5 keys are suddenly silenced.  

But once upon a time this wasn't possible and there was no church of knowledge. Did the ancients read newspapers or the teletext? 

Guest trusty_left_peg

Ring ClubCall today on 0898 somethingorother

100-CAP INTERNATIONAL LEGEND TO SIGN?

Calls cost £1.50 per second

We even got news from newspapers - I know, how mad is that?

Remember seeing the Sheffield Star banner - ' Owls sign Pearce'.

Rushed into the shop, bought a copy.

Andy feckin Pearce, ex Hod Carrier. I know he scored against the pigs, but even still.......

Ring ClubCall today on 0898 somethingorother

100-CAP INTERNATIONAL LEGEND TO SIGN?

Calls cost £1.50 per second

I used to call that number every day when I was a kid, racked up plenty of huge phone bills in the process just to hear that we have been linked with someone.

There used to be a page on Oracle and then Teletext which would give you a tantalising glimpse into the Clubcall headlines. You could decide whether to phone the number based on the revelation. I remember the excitedment caused by 'PHIL SCOTT SIGNS' appearing.

I used to sit by the door on an evening waiting for the Sheffield star to be delivered, to find out any transfer news

Those days waiting for Michael Mols and Ibrahim bakayoko to sign were one of the highlights of my youth

I used to sit by the door on an evening waiting for the Sheffield star to be delivered, to find out any transfer news

Those days waiting for Michael Mols and Ibrahim bakayoko to sign were one of the highlights of my youth

really wanted us to sign Mols at the time, then he went to rangers.  I player I thought we would get was Dani, never happened unfortunately.

really wanted us to sign Mols at the time, then he went to rangers. I player I thought we would get was Dani, never happened unfortunately.

We had some classic transfer fiasco's in the 90's

The highlights being-

Kennet Anderson

Oyviend Leonardson

Michael Mols

Alan Neilson

Karel poborski

Neil Lennon

Angelo Di Livio

But the king of all drawn out transfer saga's was 1995's epic chase of Atilio Lombardo

What a summer that was

Edited by Stoop kid

remember walking past the players entrance when a car pulled up and Wilkinson got out and a lad who's face id seen before but couldn't put a name to.they went inside,we waited for a bit to try and find out who it was but they didn't come back out,got home to find out on radio sheff, that we had signed David Hirst :Hirsty: from Barnsley. if it was nowadays I would have been ITK and been posting on here.