Why are Leeds seen as being bigger than us?

Guest D.J.Nick1212

Guest D.J.Nick1212

I know all about history and they have won the premier league and things like that but why can they pinch players out of our grasps? Why do they seem to be on telly as much as Man Utd? Are they really that big or that good? Do they really have that much money?

It just pi55es me off so much about them!

We all hate Leeds don't we?

Edited by D.J.Nick1212

Guest D.J.Nick1212

Who did you have in mind?

Cantona, Gordon strachan, Ross Mcormic, CW! To name a few over the years!!

Oh I dunno, how about that european cup final they were in or the league title they won 20 years ago, or the champions league semi final they were in while we were busy struggling in the championship? Leeds are bigger than us (in the eyes of the neutral) the same way forest are. Like it or not leeds is the main city in yorkshire and therefore attracts all the investment. The whole reason sheffield is going nowhere as a city is because we constantly sit in leeds' shadow. Though derby county may be a more interesting debate lol

They have more fans, here and abroad. Much higher revenue because of their merchandising and other commercial activities. Better known internationally because of the great teams of the past, thinking back to the Bremner/Clarke/Hunter/Lorimer et al era.

And at the moment they are more cash rich than we are, and more likely to move up to Prem in next few years than we are.

People have made films about Don Revie vs Brian Clough. When they start making films about gary megson we'll know we are up there with them.

:wacko:

Edited by dmw

Bigger fan base.  More recent success in the league.  Apart from that, can't think of owt.

If Wednesday had this much success in winning the title in recent years our support would have swelled considerably.

Leeds isn't bigger than Sheffield, Leeds city is much smaller than the metropolitan borough, they used to say Leeds has a population of 750K.  If you added any where from Worksop to Sheffield, you are talking of a million people, which is how their borough works.  Whereas Sheffield city has a population of 560K and two football clubs to support.

They are a bigger club than us fan base and recent achievement wise, but I do thing we are a lot more similar as clubs than most would admit.

As far as rivalry goes....well I don't understand why they are mentioned on here as much as they are. Im genuinely not bothered about them, I don't hate them and get more p1ssed off if we lose to Barnsley or Rotherham tbf

1 team in city, if it weren't for pigs forming after us we'd be a similar size to manchester clubs/newcastle.

you mean if we hadn't basically formed them! If we'd have stayed at bramall lane they wouldn't have existed.

Size of the city aside their are also fewer clubs up in that region to compete with, Leeds simply have a bigger reach that we could never compete with.

That is why they are seen as a more attractive investment proposition, why they'll be given more TV time etc.

recent achievement doesn't even come in to it unless your talking outside of the UK, then you have champions league experience and more time in the prem which all brings exposure through other countries.