Gerald Sibon

That volley though..

de bilde and sibon scoring in the same game, that was a rarity!!!

as i remember he couldnt cut it in the premiership and it took him 2 or 3 seasons before he found his feet. was in away a bit like nuhui-isnt an english style centre forward and wasnt a target man. when i was young i remember describin him to someone as "he's 9 foot tall but shrinks when he jumps".

disappeared from games a lot and sometimes didnt show up, but when he was on form he was a sight to behold, absolutely amazing with sublime skills especially for such a big guy. i loved him but coulöd alway understand where the grief came from but not the extent.

i was living in holland for a while and a few ajax fans i know never understood why he didnt go on to better things. i hope atdhe finds his feet like sibon did in the end.

Guest yo24owls

That game at derby still haunts me to this day. Scored some great goals in his time for us. He also scored a great goal against reading as remember didn't he get sent off the same game?

Guest Sherlowl

I know, especially as he was one of of the players who didn't jump ship after our relegation.  We were meant to come straight back up but when none of your top players wanna stay, what can you do?

Players who jumped ship;

Ian Nolan
Peter Atherton
Niclas Alexandersson
Danny Sonner
Peter Rudi
Andy Booth
Richard Creswell
Giles De Bilde

Sibon was one of the few decent players who stuck by us.  However, pains me to say it but with the exception of Alexandersson, for this bunch of players to feel they could do better than a well fancied league 1 (at the time) winning team there must have been a lot going wrong at the club.

I know, especially as he was one of of the players who didn't jump ship after our relegation.  We were meant to come straight back up but when none of your top players wanna stay, what can you do?

Players who jumped ship;

Ian Nolan

Peter Atherton

Niclas Alexandersson

Danny Sonner

Peter Rudi

Andy Booth

Richard Creswell

Giles De Bilde

Sibon was one of the few decent players who stuck by us.  However, pains me to say it but with the exception of Alexandersson, for this bunch of players to feel they could do better than a well fancied league 1 (at the time) winning team there must have been a lot going wrong at the club.

that's not quite true mate ......I'm sure sibon would have gone but he knew he´d never get a contract like what he had here anywhere else.stuck it out to nearly the end and then got himself a pay off and left for free........as for the others Atherton & Nolan were out of contract and got a better offer to stay in the prem with Bradford.alexandsson made the club some money and was never going to turn down everton .de bilde &rudi did stay with us after we got relegated but we couldn't afford there wages and finished up again letting them go for nowt just to get them off the pay roll.cresswell & booth again both started the season but got sold losing the club money again just to cut the wage bill.sonner wasnt offered a a contract .

I remember seeing him live for the first time and thinking to myself he was head and shoulders above rest of our squad for skill and touch. He was also extremely frustrating and very lazy. Once he lost possession he gave up. In the end his care free attitude would have been terrible for a squad trying to fight our downward spiral.

Was playing here in Australia a few seasons back and i can report he was still the same. Great touch and very laconic and much much older.

Personally I thought Sibon was great....

He was the glimmer of light in one of the worst sheff Wednesday teams I have witnessed.

He single handedly won some games by himself eg reading when we were 2-0 down at half time.

Don't get me wrong he was idle at times, but he had a swagger about him

He was a failure for which he was bought for and only stuck around because he wouldn't have had a better contract anywhere else.

So for an estimated £5 million cost with one relegation I would say he was fantastic

To be fair he must have thought something of the club because a few years after he left us he turned up to watch at a pre season game in Holland.

Personally I thought Sibon was great....

He was the glimmer of light in one of the worst sheff Wednesday teams I have witnessed.

He single handedly won some games by himself eg reading when we were 2-0 down at half time.

Don't get me wrong he was idle at times, but he had a swagger about him

the reading game was his swansong he left the following week .like a lot of others have said had ability by the bucket load which just about made up for his lack of grit and determination but weather he was worth the 4/5 million he cost us is debatable.