Happy 75th Birthday Johnny - the Legendary Pistmoor Owl

The Legend that is John Fatham is 75 today.  I never saw him play but my Dad still talks of him and the fantastic talent that the Burngreave School product was and he still holds Wednesday's post war scoring record 167 goals in 435 game between 1958 and 1969.

John played junior football for Sheffield Schools and Yorkshire Schools, and Sheffield YMCA.  He signed amateur forms with Sheffield Wednesday FC in 1954, turning professional in October 1956.

post-11102-0-38072400-1383171458_zps1a9a

JohnaFantham_zps49a42583.jpg

His first game 1st February 1958 vs Tottenham in a 2-0 win.

Here he is in the 1957/8 line up

jf1_zpse798b888.jpg

He was a member of the Division 2 Championship winning team in 1958/9.

He won his only England cap vs Luxembourg in September 1961 at Highbury - can anyone spot him on here?

He also represented the Football League 3 times and gained one Under 23 International cap.

In 1960-61 he was part of the fantastic Wednesday team that finished runners up to Spurs and scored a goal in the match when Wednesday became the first team to beat them - 2-1 on 12th November when 56,363 packed into a 3 sided Hillsborough

tott60-1_zps7e8fc3b0.jpg

In 1966 he was part of the fabulous Wednesday team that finished runners up to Everton in that never to be forgotten FA Cup final.  Here is is in the iconic white Wednesday kit

jf3_zps612676bb.jpg

His final game was on 20th September 1969 against West Ham after which he made the switch to Rotherham United.  This tribute appeared in a programme shortly afterwards.

jf2_zps688fa8cf.jpg

After retiring from Football he became a successful local businessman including the owner of a couple of well know Gents hairdressers  - here Johnny Quinn gets the treatment

jfhair_zpsf6eedef3.jpg

Edited by dunsbyowl

So big question to one who saw them both - Fantham or Hirst ;-)

They were entirely different sorts of players. 

Although Fantham scored shed loads of goals he was in old money an inside forward who supported the number 9. And we had a fair few decent number 9's back in those days.....Roy Shiner (who I didn't see), and then Keith Ellis, Bronco and John Ritchie (who I did).

The two of them together might have been interesting....

Guest FloridaOwl

I notice the lack of wild celebration after a goal in the old videos. A few simple handshakes and get on with it. The way it should be in my humble opinion.

Fantham scored in the first Owls game I ever saw.  A 5-0 win against Rotherham in 1958.

A real legend and a local lad to boot.   Shame that supply line seems to have dried up.

Happy birthday Johnny.   Should have won more than that one England cap. Usual anti-Sheffield bias.

My best memory of him was from the Shoreham Kop in 1964-5(no segregation in those days).

We were 2-1 down at the Lane and getting battered.  Lucky to be still in it.

Second half I just remember two attacks from us.  Fantham sprinting away to the Shoreham and scoring twice.

We won 3-2. Mugged 'em.  Half the Kop went mad.  Took my sister to her one and only match.  She was so frightened by the crushing and the atmosphere etc that she wouldn't go again.

Women just don't get it do they?  :biggrin:

Happy Birthday John went to your house once with a mate for your autograph and you were an absolute gentleman A true pro.

I read a story somewhere where 2 lads went to his house and his mum opened the door and John was having his tea ( they could see him) and his mum said no but John said it's was OK and came and signed the autographs - wasn't you was it lol?