Players who made only one appearance

Guest Ponty_Owl

None of these beat the infamous Diogo Amado.

Plenty of promise shown pre-season...then he decided he hated Sheffield and buggered off without making a professional appearance for us.

The big girls blouse. 

Can remember young Rob Poulter's debut. Strange circumstance when he came on. Blackpool in the LDV JPT Vans Paintpot whatsitsname....Tidman got COMPLETELY wiped out by a Blackpool player...the ball went in the net..the goal stood even though Tidman's sprawled out unconscious on the floor. Then this young gangly fella who's kit didn't fit him had to go in net and save our season by taking us to the final. Poor sod.

That game reminds me as well...young Ross Greenwood, remember him? He played that game. He can't of made many appearances for us?

Edited by FlyingOwl

Anyone remember this bloke? He made only one appearance in the Third Division.

Who else only made one competitive first team appearance for the Owls?

In the modern day era I think I'm right in saying Junior Agogo made just two appearances?

Who else only made one first team start?

Gordon Simmonite went onto work for SYP I went on a trip with Middlewpod Rovers 1978 when he had just be released. I saw his only appearance at Chesterfield he played great. Brilliant bloke a young Mel Sterland went on same trip to Germany.

Simon Donnelly and Phil O'Donnell (R.I.P.)??? I know they played more than once but it seemed like they only played once in the four years we had them

The one that sticks out in my head is Chris Carr, played 1 game scored 1 goal, unfortunately it was in the wrong end

Another one I can think of is Nathan Modest, I think he made one sub appearance in the last game of a season then didn't play again

UTO!!! 

And what an appearance that was. 

Last game of the 2003/04 season - the highlight of Chris Turner's time in charge - and on comes Chris Carr again QPR, who were on the verge of getting promoted if memory serves me correct. 

It is 2-1 after another Wednesday legend - Jon Shaw - drags Turner's lobbers, I mean Titans back into the game. 

Chris Carr, showing the quality of Maldini in his pomp, attempts to clear the ball in his own area, only to overhead kick the thing into the top corner of his own net. 

A day that will be long remembered. 

Two minutes in...

WAHEY !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btYPUPKHW7k

Players with only one appearance for us, who might not have been mentioned yet...

Gavin Bailey, Ian Bowling, Tony Brien, David Faulkner, David German, Darren Holmes, Andy Williams (all in the Intertoto Cup back in 1995)

Rory McArdle

David McClements

Kevin Nicholson

Ayo Obileye

Robert Poulter

Guest Ponty_Owl

Simon Donnelly and Phil O'Donnell (R.I.P.)??? I know they played more than once but it seemed like they only played once in the four years we had them

The one that sticks out in my head is Chris Carr, played 1 game scored 1 goal, unfortunately it was in the wrong end

Another one I can think of is Nathan Modest, I think he made one sub appearance in the last game of a season then didn't play again

UTO!!!

Modest played a handful of games for us, started against Cardiff then on as a sub against Blackpool in December.

Cecil Nyoni?

Has he played more than once for us?

Blackpool and the infamous Bradford game where Megson stuck two fingers up to the rules that you have to 'start so many players in the JPT who played in your last league game'. He started a strong team and then after a matter of minutes he subbed three of our 'crucial' players for kids. Including Nyoni.

gary megson

Guest Ponty_Owl

Blackpool and the infamous Bradford game where Megson stuck two fingers up to the rules that you have to 'start so many players in the JPT who played in your last league game'. He started a strong team and then after a matter of minutes he subbed three of our 'crucial' players for kids. Including Nyoni.

gary megson

Aye he has had a properly weird career young Cecil. Apparently he was meant to sign for Limerick at the start of the season but could get his registration done. God knows what he's up to now.

So he never made a competitive start? Now that's class.

Didn't he break his leg playing against us for Man U too?

Yep, in the 4-4 draw in 74/75 about 10 mins into the game. Right in front of the Kop. Absolute carnage that day on and off the field.

Guest Ponty_Owl

Nyoni hasn't had a weird career, he decided that he didn't want to play professional football so middle of last season got his contract terminated and plays for Sheffield fc nowadays.

Joke if you ask me people would kill for the opportunity he passed up on....

To me, that is weird though.

When he was with us and out on loan at Frickley he said he didn't want to play any more then suddenly popped up at Forest. Then left them because he didn't love the game or whatever he said, how many more chances does the lad want? But yet he somehow keeps popping up at these provincial clubs now and then, I have no idea how Limerick came about either or why they failed to register him in August, he's dual nationality isn't he? So wouldn't need a work permit.

Like you said, people would kill for the opportunities he's had but he does the hard graft out on loan or rolling contracts at small clubs, learning his trade then tells the big clubs he wants out. Weird.

TONY SIMMONS

His professional career began at Sheffield Wednesday where he progressed through the ranks to become Captain of the Youth Team and whilst still in the Youth Team he made his first team debut in front of a Hillsborough crowd in excess of 40,000. Having been regularly leading scorer in the Youth Team he soon came to the attention of the National side and he is the proud owner of 11 England Youth Caps. In all eleven games a young Tony Cottee was substitute. Unfortunately for Tony his mentor, Jackie Charlton left Wednesday for Newcastle and it was Charlton's recommendation that saw Tony sold to Terry Venables at Queens Park Rangers for £100,000. Similarly Venables left Rangers for bigger things and Tony was sent out on loan to Cardiff and Exeter before Rotherham paid a large fee to take him to Millmoor. He was leading scorer in Norman Hunter's 4th Division championship side for Rotherham and was then part of the deal which took John McGinley to Rotherham and  Simmo to Lincoln City.

Edited by Ranchrat