Anyone want Martinez permanently?

Guest JonTheOwl66

Don't know what you've got against the guy.

It was waterlogged. The ball was sloppy. He did the right thing in palming that shot.

Do you know what goalkeepers are taught? If you can't get your body behind a shot, palm it away.

He made the right choice. You don't catch things like that in those conditions. You have to be 100% sure you can hold on otherwise you don't try it in goal.

Yes I know exactly what keeper are taught and it's that if you don't think you can hold it then at eats get it out of the danger area.....palming it on to the penalty spot is about the last thing he should do.......but if you're happy that he's better than kirkland then I'm pleased for you

Instant substitution for a bad kick in awful conditions? Mad!

When did I say owt about a bad kick.....it was a bloody awful save

To read some of the comments on here you'd think we'd never had a keeper before........shot stopping is bread and butter for goal keepers.....it's what is expected from any half decent keeper......the difference between the also rans and the better ones are the extras such as commanding their area, organising the defence, positioning so that tv saves arent required, claiming crosses, ensuring the ball goes out of the danger area when a save is made

Martinez has done very little to show he's anything more than an also ran

Guest Ponty_Owl

To read some of the comments on here you'd think we'd never had a keeper before........shot stopping is bread and butter for goal keepers.....it's what is expected from any half decent keeper......the difference between the also rans and the better ones are the extras such as commanding their area, organising the defence, positioning so that tv saves arent required, claiming crosses, ensuring the ball goes out of the danger area when a save is made

Martinez has done very little to show he's anything more than an also ran

All this talk about Martinez is utter, utter bowlocks. He needs game time to develop as a keeper, Arsenal are no mugs and clearly rate him or they wouldn't be paying his wages. People are talking about him like he's a third choice lad on loan from bloody Stocksbridge.

Sure, he makes mistakes but the phrase 'learn from your mistakes' comes to mind. He can train all he wants and play reserve football but until he gets real game time under his belt he won't learn. That's the problem, not that he's not good enough but that he needs time to make mistakes and to develop, and that is why Kirkland should be playing not him. We can't afford the luxury of bringing through another team's future keeper because mistakes will cost us valuable points.

Martinez will go on to play full internationals and play Champions League football somewhere in Europe, even if it is not with Arsenal. No doubt about it.

..the difference between the also rans and the better ones are the extras such as commanding their area, organising the defence, positioning so that tv saves arent required, claiming crosses, ensuring the ball goes out of the danger area when a save is made

Let's be completely honest here, how many of those really describe Chris Kirkland?

Just want to say that they’re taught to push them as wide as possible using the rotation through the wrist as strongly as possible.

Not palm them out/down if we're teaching young kids to palm shots down then there's going to be some interesting scores at Hillsbrough in the coming years....

On Martinez - He obviously has the tools and potential but is showing his inexperience in some ways. Like the half length diving saves when footwork might have had him in a better starting position. The body shape and approach on some of his floor kicking.

But he will go on to be a very good keeper – and we have not a hope of signing him permanently.

Kirkland however is a decent keeper that we already own so keep him.

Just a bloke. Being dragged along in a world that moves too quick for it's own good.

Let's be completely honest here, how many of those really describe Chris Kirkland?

I agree, I'm not kirklands biggest fan either.....I suppose I need to get in to the modern thinking of what a keeper offers......brought up watching Hodge, pressman, Southall, etc completely dominate their area, constantly bollocking defenders and clearing out anyone who was in their way.......the decline in that sort of keeping started with Woods for us and Im not sure we'll see that type again so perhaps I need to stop pining for the 80's keeper!!!.......although as my last boss once said in his best piece of advice ever.......if they are below the bar, don't lower it, because they'll soon find a way of getting under the lower bar as well!

Yes I know exactly what keeper are taught and it's that if you don't think you can hold it then at eats get it out of the danger area.....palming it on to the penalty spot is about the last thing he should do.......but if you're happy that he's better than kirkland then I'm pleased for you

When did I say owt about a bad kick.....it was a bloody awful save

Yea, I hate those saves when our keeper prevents a goal and there is no rebound shot...

Guest JonTheOwl66

Yes I know exactly what keeper are taught and it's that if you don't think you can hold it then at eats get it out of the danger area.....palming it on to the penalty spot is about the last thing he should do.......but if you're happy that he's better than kirkland then I'm pleased for youWhen did I say owt about a bad kick.....it was a bloody awful save

I'm lost. I don't recall him palming a shot straight back to the penalty spot.

And I never said hes better than than Kirkland. :rolleyes:

Anyway. Its fairly obvious he's an excellent keeper.

Edited by JonTheOwl66

Guest JonTheOwl66

Just want to say that they’re taught to push them as wide as possible using the rotation through the wrist as strongly as possible.

Not palm them out/down if we're teaching young kids to palm shots down then there's going to be some interesting scores at Hillsbrough in the coming years....

On Martinez - He obviously has the tools and potential but is showing his inexperience in some ways. Like the half length diving saves when footwork might have had him in a better starting position. The body shape and approach on some of his floor kicking.

But he will go on to be a very good keeper – and we have not a hope of signing him permanently.

Kirkland however is a decent keeper that we already own so keep him.

lol

Somebody clearly knows more than the Arsenal and Argentina coaches! On Owlstalk! Why aren't you a Champions League coach?!