Anyone want Martinez permanently?

Guest JonTheOwl66

Guest Ponty_Owl

I've seen Jameson play twice (and I think his only starts) for the first team - both against MK in 10/11.

It hasn't worked out for him here.

It hasn't worked out for him anywhere. Didnt get a game at York, not getting a look in out in the depths of the wilderness at Stalybridge. It's not nice to say but sometimes players just don't make the grade. You have to ask why he can't get a run of games in the non league when younger keepers like Ruddy, Butland, Smithies and so on get long runs in the first team in Championship and Premier.

I suppose he could be our version of Harper at the toon, paid to warm the bench and train until he is about 35 and finally be given the 1 shirt for a few years.

Guest GreenGoose

Why not.

How many clangers has he dropped for us in the games he played?

He's 24 now, no longer a kid.

Cus he's 24 and not broken through maybe?

I can't recall him playing so neither any clangers/any saves. Kirkland makes saves. Martinez makes saves. 

Think there is a reason he hasn't broken through here/anywhere else, my guess, he isn't good enough. 

I think we could do worse than have Martinez, he's done all that's been asked of him whilst he's been here.

I'm a Kirkland fan, I don't think he's done much wrong, as for flapping at crosses, Jesus I remember Woods and Turner. No keeper has it all, by some of the comments on here Joe Hart would be a backward step, look at the testicles he's dropped.

Thing is, if a keeper  fooks up it's usually in the back of the net.

I went to Watford and I thought that Martinez bossed the area, first half he came and took the ball and I think it was Palmer that took one to the ribs because he was in the way, did the same with Johnson but Johnson ducked under the ball.

Second half I can recall him coming out and narrowing the angle when their guy was 1:1 and hit it wide, I can also recall him coming and catching a corner and staying down a bit. I didn't drink by the way at Watford so any discrepancies are down to age rather than alcohol.

Best we can hope for is a loan I think.   

Cus he's 24 and not broken through maybe?

I can't recall him playing so neither any clangers/any saves. Kirkland makes saves. Martinez makes saves.

Think there is a reason he hasn't broken through here/anywhere else, my guess, he isn't good enough.

My guess is were always too keen to sign a replacement that use what we've got. I remember him having two good games against MK as mentioned earlier and he was 20/21 then, just think giving him a game wouldn't hurt.

Guest GreenGoose

My guess is were always too keen to sign a replacement that use what we've got. I remember him having two good games against MK as mentioned earlier and he was 20/21 then, just think giving him a game wouldn't hurt.

I wouldn't mind giving him the odd game in the right situation but I think having him in the net for the rest of the season would equal relegation.

Guest Ponty_Owl

Like I said before, a good run of games would do him good but a mixture of injury and something else prevented him from making a first team appearance wherever he has been shipped out on loan, including a leaky York team and out in the minor leagues like the Evo Stik Northern, where he is now with Stalybridge.

I imagine that something else is simply his lack of talent. Harsh but true. If he can't break into the first team of part timers in the lower leagues how in the hell is he even close to being first choice in the second tier?

In those conditions today I thought he was brilliant, scuffed a couple of kicks from one side but made a couple of saves low down on a skiddy, waterlogged surface that would have embarrassed a lot more experienced keepers.

Done well since he's come in so far.

That "save" after about 10 mins was dreadful.....bad enough for an instant substitution.......not only did he decide to make a TV save out if a bread and butter shot that any competent Sunday league keeper would have held, he once again palmed it out straight back in to the danger area......these will come back to bite us very soon

Guest JonTheOwl66

That "save" after about 10 mins was dreadful.....bad enough for an instant substitution.......not only did he decide to make a TV save out if a bread and butter shot that any competent Sunday league keeper would have held, he once again palmed it out straight back in to the danger area......these will come back to bite us very soon

Don't know what you've got against the guy.

It was waterlogged. The ball was sloppy. He did the right thing in palming that shot.

Do you know what goalkeepers are taught? If you can't get your body behind a shot, palm it away.

He made the right choice. You don't catch things like that in those conditions. You have to be 100% sure you can hold on otherwise you don't try it in goal.

Instant substitution for a bad kick in awful conditions? Mad!

In those conditions today I thought he was brilliant, scuffed a couple of kicks from one side but made a couple of saves low down on a skiddy, waterlogged surface that would have embarrassed a lot more experienced keepers.

Done well since he's come in so far.

agree he saved one in the second half low down to his left that was brilliant in the conditions  one player who came off that pitch having done well imo