Soul Destroying

The words of a player that cannot get a game at his parent club because his wages outstrip the current budget structure. The words of a player whose wages have been substantially higher than his peers at the same standard of football. The words of a player that has no scruples about lifting 42K per week despite being involved in three successive relegations.

Is his wages his problem tho or the idiot who agreed to pay him them. Anyone with half a business brain would surely insist on a wage cut upon relegation clause.

I know for a fact if my employer was willing to pay me silly wages, I wouldn't turn round and say " nah you're alright, I'm not worth that amount"

Guest Leeswfc3

I would imagine the higher average attendance is of no real benefit to us in terms of revenue, mainly because our running costs will most likely be one of the highest in the division.

surely if we have a bigger gate, we make more money?

surely if we have a bigger gate, we make more money?

Of course, but do we make much of a profit?

Hillsborough is operating at full capacity on matchdays, but the crowd is anything but, when there is only 22k in a 39k stadium, gate receipts - running costs probably dont make that decent a reading.

Not saying we'll be losing money based on Hillsborough, but when people ask why a club with gates of 11-12k in their 17k stadium are able to match and even beat us financially, things like this do contribute.

From the Roger Johnson interview in the Sheffield Star:

He (Johnson) has leapt to the defence of Jones, saying: “The team struggled last year; the budget the gaffer is working with is tough. We are not going to be in the top two or three and I think everyone knows that.

“If we bring in a few more players and bolster the squad, it would be a good club to be at.”

We sign a new player and he is resigned to the fact that no money will be spent and we are going to struggle.  The sooner something is done about the budget the better for the club. 

The budget is the underlying problem and should be addressed.  If we sack Jones then fair enough but we need to address the budget issue irrespective of whether we bring in a new man or not.  We've had 15 years and (at a guess) 10 different managers worth of uncompetitive budgets. 

If we don't address the budget issue then changing the manager will be pointless. 

How do you suggest the Club "addresses" the budget issue?

MM could put more money in but we all know that's not sustainable under the new financial rules.

MM could put ticket prices up by 25% - you happy to pay more to address the budget?

Or MM could steadily change the shape of the business, develop the commercial activities and build over the next 3-5 years into a more competitive force.

You need to remember that approx. 10 clubs in this league have parachute payments that we cannot compete with. That means we are at best going to be a mid table team budget wise.

PA has said we have a budget to compete with the bottom 10 clubs in this league. If Dave Jones gets what he should out of the players we should end the season 12-16th.

In reality the budget isn't going to change much unless the business and its income grows.

There are no easy short term solutions.

How do you suggest the Club "addresses" the budget issue?

(1) MM could put more money in but we all know that's not sustainable under the new financial rules.

MM could put ticket prices up by 25% - you happy to pay more to address the budget?

(2) Or MM could steadily change the shape of the business, develop the commercial activities and build over the next 3-5 years into a more competitive force.

(3) You need to remember that approx. 10 clubs in this league have parachute payments that we cannot compete with. That means we are at best going to be a mid table team budget wise.

(4) PA has said we have a budget to compete with the bottom 10 clubs in this league. If Dave Jones gets what he should out of the players we should end the season 12-16th.

(5) In reality the budget isn't going to change much unless the business and its income grows.

There are no easy short term solutions.

(1) PA categorically stated that we are no where near the FFFP threshold. 

(2) MM has been at the club for over 2 and a half years now and it very much appears that we are going backwards commercially. 

(3) I understand that there are 10 clubs that have parachute payments but I never said that I wanted or expected us to be competing for the play-offs this year - MM did say that though a year or so back.  MM said something like "First year consolidate; second year compete for play-offs; third year go for promotion" - paraphrased but his words, not mine!

(4) PA stated that he didn't know where we were budget wise in comparison to other clubs and guessed that we're in the bottom 10.  12th - 16th! DJ would be overachieving if we were there IMO.  However, I do believe that DJ is floundering and that he doesn't know how to manage with a tiny budget. 

(5) Whose responsibility is it to grow the business and income?  Its definitely not the fans' - our responsibility is to turn up and support.  Its not DJ's - his responsibility is to manage the footbal side (and he's not doing a great job with the first team).  The responsibility is MM and PA's - they don't seem to be succeeding and you have (unintentionally?) implied that yourself. 

Edited by shandypants

Guest Big Guns

But it's still costing the working class man with his kid a flippingfortune no matter how the stattos want to sugarcoat it

But it's still costing the working class man with his kid a flippingfortune no matter how the stattos want to sugarcoat it

He doesn't even need a kid.  They get £7.60 out of me every home game for two cans of Guiness.  Cheeky fvckers!  i don't mind paying that in a pub but from cns and in plastic glasses - cheeky fvckers!  they used to hammer my pocket when i used to take my daughter. 

Edited by shandypants

I'm not arguing against the sacking of Jones or whether Johnson deserves his pay; I am stating that the fundemental problem is the budget; plain and simple.  I wouldn't be bothered if we replaced Jones today but I would be gutted if the new manager had **** all to spend. 

Let's stop fooling ourselves.  We were succesful in the late 80's and early 90's - why? It's because the player budget was competitive.  We have been dreadful for the last 15 years - why? It's because the player budget hasn't been competitive in that time. 

We need to handle the budget issue and soon or we'll be back in the third tier. 

Good point mate.

We could do with seeing the income figure and expenditure,  broken down in order to understand how we are making a loss.

We need to see how on our gates compared to say Doncaster's we cannot afford a medium to top level budget on gates which are second only to Brighton....when we have no debt or interest  to pay off

Where is the money going? In the old days of annual reports questioned at AGMs, it was possible to find out this sort of thing-not now though.

every game i go too it costs 27 for me and 18 fir my 8 year old so i really dont understand the above figures

You do know your 8 year old is 10 in January :biggrin:

don't worry I wont say owt.

We could do with seeing the income figure and expenditure,  broken down in order to understand how we are making a loss.

We need to see how on our gates compared to say Doncaster's we cannot afford a medium to top level budget on gates which are second only to Brighton....when we have no debt or interest  to pay off

Where is the money going? In the old days of annual reports questioned at AGMs, it was possible to find out this sort of thing-not now though.

Shareholder...How have we done turnover wise this last season

Casio Bob...Don't know I haven't brought the figures

Yeah flipping right..never mind keep longing for the good old days