Soul Destroying

From the Roger Johnson interview in the Sheffield Star:

He (Johnson) has leapt to the defence of Jones, saying: “The team struggled last year; the budget the gaffer is working with is tough. We are not going to be in the top two or three and I think everyone knows that.

“If we bring in a few more players and bolster the squad, it would be a good club to be at.”

We sign a new player and he is resigned to the fact that no money will be spent and we are going to struggle.  The sooner something is done about the budget the better for the club. 

The budget is the underlying problem and should be addressed.  If we sack Jones then fair enough but we need to address the budget issue irrespective of whether we bring in a new man or not.  We've had 15 years and (at a guess) 10 different managers worth of uncompetitive budgets. 

If we don't address the budget issue then changing the manager will be pointless. 

Guest wilyfox

The OP makes it sound as though Milan is doing nothing about the budget issue; he's talking to potential buyers, right? If Milan doesn't want to throw his own cash at the problem, he's doing the next best thing by trying to find someone who will..

I think the fact that we have a tight budget means that whilst ever MM is the owner then DJ will not be sacked due to compensation (considering that I think we're still paying off Megson if I'm not mistaken?!)

That will be something for the new owners (if they ever appear) to decide.

Guest Distraught!

The words of a player that cannot get a game at his parent club because his wages outstrip the current budget structure. The words of a player whose wages have been substantially higher than his peers at the same standard of football. The words of a player that has no scruples about lifting 42K per week despite being involved in three successive relegations.

When the manager gambles away the contents of the war chest, you can still be competitive when it slams shut.

Looking alive, providing options, making runs, closing down, kicking a football to a teammate and defending the box like your life depended on it costs **** all...

Catch 22 I guess......higher budgets are borne out of success. Unless you have an Abramovitch I suppose.

Partly true, we have one of the highest ave gates in the league, and a mega rich owner.

However in my view the problem is the mega rich owner doesn't want to splash the dosh because

he wants a return on his investment quickly and our revenue streams are that sh!t that they don't

contribute anything to the budget. We must have the worst commercial dept in the football league.

It would be interesting to see how much Jones has spent on loan players, especially on the likes of Bothroyd/Sidibie/Holden/Barkley/Wickham (none of which really had too much of a positive effect on the team and apart from Holden possibly, were on Premiership wages). Then we could get a better picture of just how wasted his budget is?

Guest Big Guns

i dont think its pointless sacking the manager at all

reason one hes squandered his budget

reason two he cant get the best outof his players

reason three some managers do well with crap budgets

It would be interesting to see how much Jones has spent on loan players, especially on the likes of Bothroyd/Sidibie/Holden/Barkley/Wickham (none of which really had too much of a positive effect on the team and apart from Holden possibly, were on Premiership wages). Then we could get a better picture of just how wasted his budget is?

If it wasn't for some of his loans Lita, Olofinjana, Barkley etc then theirs a big chance we'd be in league one right now. Just pointing that one out.

The words of a player that cannot get a game at his parent club because his wages outstrip the current budget structure. The words of a player whose wages have been substantially higher than his peers at the same standard of football. The words of a player that has no scruples about lifting 42K per week despite being involved in three successive relegations.

The words of a player who negotiated a contract that is quite modest in relation to the peer players at the time of signing

The words of a player who took a substantial pay cut to find first team football

I don't get your point?

I would imagine the higher average attendance is of no real benefit to us in terms of revenue, mainly because our running costs will most likely be one of the highest in the division.

That

And our spend per fan is actually low - ie we get bigger crowds but we get less money from them - and have higher operating costs

Barkley was the best player we had all season, almost managed to carry a p!ss poor team on his own at 18, he had a very positive impact imo.

Some of it may have been wasted, no avoiding the fact that the likes of Maguire being signed and not played are a waste of money  ( although some of the limited budget has been used pretty well in his time here )  but loans go one way or the other, do we really think Jones wants to fish around in the loan market?   Ideally we'd be using the occasional loan to top up a decent, well built squad, that wasnt an option this summer and again we find ourselves using multiple loans to fill gaps in October.  If we actually had a real budget, we possibly wouldnt have to be bringing players in for 4 games at a time out of desperation.

Edited by Lee A

Guest Distraught!

The words of a player who negotiated a contract that is quite modest in relation to the peer players at the time of signing

The words of a player who took a substantial pay cut to find first team football

I don't get your point?

Did he really?

Well, I'll happily take back what I said but as far as I am concerned, 42K puts him in the upper quartile of Championship level wages. Whilst I don't begrudge him this (anybody would do the same given the opportunity), it just seems rich that this type of person fires salvos regarding budget at a club that he has only just joined on loan.

That

And our spend per fan is actually low - ie we get bigger crowds but we get less money from them - and have higher operating costs

Exactly my point. Our commercial dept is sh!t. We don't squeeze cash out of the fans who come through the door.

Not only that but the merchandise on sale in the shop is sh!te and way over priced and try and locate something online

and actually be able to pay for it is a krypton factor style assault course in itself.

What does our commercial director do? What's he been doing all summer?

Where are the new innovative ideas coming from? Most good ideas i hear start with the fans.

Like the idea about sitting people lower in the stands at home to make for an atmosphere..little

things like that but who within the club is trying to come up with innovation?