Full Circle - Why the Fences Went Up

Is it football fans reflecting society in general? Or are football fans just worse than other sectors?

I don't think football fans are worse than other sectors have a look around on the streets every day and you'll see anti-social behaviour on every level occurring without consequence or reprimand of any kind. The difference is within the confines of a football stadium its much more noticeable if you get prats like we had on Friday.

In some respects I feel for the 'genuine' fans amongst the Leeds crowd as they have done more than any to attempt to eradicate the whole persona of their fanbase which is seen by every other football club as being inherently bad at the core, one idiot drags the whole of the club down.

However when you have players as they do that also react to the crowd or goad the opposition for no other reason than being an ex-player of Sheffield's 2nd club then the FA should be having more than a word. Leeds will always have that element about the club unfortunately and the only way of ridding it completely is to impose sanctions on them banning them from away games or at least having a long suspended ban over them if it occurs at any time for a long time.

Guest MrWestHam

Is it that much of an epidemic and to the extent it is, how hard is it to police it?

The bloke who did what he did on Friday will go to prison, that's enough to deter 99.9% of people.

I say this as a West Ham fan - where thousands of people must have been calling Arsene Wenger a pedophile last week but with the quality of cameras we have and the information we have about ticket holders (most bought on line using credit cards with addresses). Why not hunt down and fine everyone who is caught chanting something that it would be illegal to say to someone in the street £200. And for a further offences an increasing punishment.

The 'revenue' can go to the police which should motivate them to do it and help with their budget cuts and football will gradually be cleaned up.

Then of course you leave the policy open to abuse by the police I guess who will end up putting people in prison for questioning the referees tendency to crack one off when he makes a bad decision.

Fences will never go back up, and in my opinion should never be considered, hence the reason for tough robust policing of on field encroachments by fans. Apart from our all too close to home tragedy, one dreads to think how many people would have died at Bradford if that stand had of been a fenced in terrace.

I just think we are seeing more examples of the behaviour that forced the fences up in the 70s and it concerns me that there is no concerted effort by the FA, clubs and police to tackle it. Can Liverpool fans now have an inquiry into the fans that caused this in the 70s and the authorities decision to use fences with no thought of emergency exits onto the pitch.

no need for fences - just proper stewarding. Watch the video of the prat who smacked Kirkland and you see an orange coated steward no more than 5 ft away from him when he goes back into the crowd. The steward watches him evey step of the way but makes no attempt to get hold of him. And before anyone says they are not allowed to touch him- then what the hell are they there for?

Agree 100% with this! Our stewarding left a lot to be desired on Friday. Police are getting cut in numbers year on year so we must rely more on private companies ie G4s etc. Look at the job they did for the Olympics!!!!!!!

Bring the army in that will sort the thugs out!

I agree with you 100% Mr WestHam. However the police are genuinely so overrun at the moment it is genuinely unbelievable! I find myself sticking up for the boots on the ground because the blame lies solely with the people running this country. (I am in no way shape or form a copper)

Bring the army in that will sort the thugs out!

Unfortunately we in the military are pretty busy right now (contrary to popular belief) lol and we like the police have an increasing workload with less and less bodies. I will do it in my free time for a mere £50 an hour + travelling expenses

Guest MrWestHam

Stewards are minimum wage employees that are only employed for insurance purposes. in their defence, they're not substitute policemen who are there to keep people safe by putting themselves in danger from attack. Especially from (very likely) drugged up nutjobs with form.

They can give assistance to those that ask for it "where's my seat mate" etc, they can ask supporters to comply with policies "you can't bring beer up here" - but if the supporter refuses they have to call plod in.

Basically they're poor mans community support officers and you can't really blame them for the fact they're as useful as a chocolate fireplace in situations like these.

Because for years anti social behaviour has barely been punished in society, so it will carry onto the pitch. And I bet you in the next few days the Guardian will call Cawley misunderstood and that putting him in prison is too harsh.

Because for years anti social behaviour has barely been punished in society, so it will carry onto the pitch. And I bet you in the next few days the Guardian will call Cawley misunderstood and that putting him in prison is too harsh.

Couldn't agree more!

Taking last Friday as an example, aren't the issues from an SWFC perspective caused by a minority who only attend certain games and who are looking for trouble rather than to watch football.

I'd like to see the club put in measures to remove and ban these people and our regular decent thinking fans should assist in the process. Stewards shouldn't have to enforce decent behaviour but they can help identify and remove the feeble minded people that sabotage our club.

I think Dave Jones mentioned it himself in the post match interview, but there needs to be a bit of self-policing on this, in addition to the actual police making arrests, and by self-policing I mean the club as well as the fans.

Suggestions...

1) Fans should approach stewards and inform them of racist/abusive/overly aggressive fans, who then have the power to eject them from the ground, with or without police backup as required.

2) SWFC should make an example and increase the price of an away day match ticket £1 for each incident like the one seen on friday. The £1 should then be given to a suitable chairty. If it hits the fans pockets, they're more likely to react to someone who may be causing them issue. Again, stewards/police should be informed so the necessary action can be taken.

3) With backing from the FA, any away teams fans caught misbehaving like they did on Friday, should have their gate receipts taken and given to a suitable charity. If the clubs are hit, they are more likely to put measures in place to prevent known thugs getting tickets and blackening their name.

"Not in my name" I'll call it, stand up for the regular fan who's getting his name dragged through the mud at the minute.

If any premier league or championship club had any real ambition to remove these elements from crowds it would be done by now. There are enough cameras and press there to collate evidence over a few games etc. to ban people.

Unfortunately, and i think Dave Jones' comments about self policing point to this also, clubs will put up with quite a lot to ensure income from gate receipts doesn't drop.

We have spoken about ticket prices recently, surely higher ticket prices forces this element out?

Just playing devils advocate here, very interesting debate the OP has started.

Is it football fans reflecting society in general? Or are football fans just worse than other sectors?

football fans are reflecting society in general...but also are amongst the worst offenders

effin' and blindin' is now more acceptable in the media, and general life that it was at one time...

arsewipes like russell brand lead the charge towards the new lows in life...

then the politicians fail to address the immigration situation and along come the bnp, and edl into the area's worst hit...

any wonder l**ds fans are what they are, i don't support their actions, but do see the concerns that encourages this gang mentality to flourish...