Full Circle - Why the Fences Went Up

The warning signs have been there for a few years now and collectively football does nothing to stop it. The number of pitch invasions is increasing and some nasty incidents with players being attacked at a number of games. What we've not had yet to the best of my knowledge is a full scale pitched battle between supporters, but perhaps cameras everywhere has helped prevent this so far....... What happens when 2000 idiots charge towards the opposing supporters and they stampede for the exits? - This can happen and with lacklustre stewarding and policing what would stop them?

Post Hillsborough, the fences came down and nearly all fans respected the pitch boundary and it was better policed. Slowly it has been accepted to invade the pitch again on certain occasions and the taboo is no longer there. We seem to have forgotten why the fences went up in the first place and why they came down.

Even our promotion pitch invasion this year was totally different from 1991 when supporters went back off the pitch and we could at least enjoy some kind of lap of honour. This year we had at least 500 total w**kers of our own spoiling it for everyone else and charging on with players carrying infants in their arms. To my knowledge no one was charged and the apologists all say it was excusable, so of course they'll do it again and again.

And as for South Yorkshire police and the stewarding, it's totally hopeless. They allowed Palace to come on 2 years ago and on Friday there were nowhere near enough police on the pitch side (apart from NW corner), considering they had 15 minutes warning of what might kick off. That the lowlife could punch Kirkland, have time to stick the rods up and walk back to his seat says it all. They should make a trip to Manchester and ask how they managed to control 50,000 Man City fans with a length of rope and enjoy their celebration!

Serious points penalties need to be introduced along with high fines for anyone invading the pitch and long prison sentences for those invading with criminal or violent intent. Do I believe that the FA is a willing and able body to sort this? - about as much chance of them getting a decent professional refereeing system in place for a multi billion pound industry.

Pretty much agree with all of this.

I think there's a chance we'll end up having real problems like this on a regular basis again.

The number of young lads up for this is deffo on the increase, and I think it could be very difficult to manage as its a social issue. Some will be put off by tough punishment policies, but not everyone.

Bad behaviour seems to be becoming more and more acceptable. Add to pitch invasions : all the new songs have f&@k and f£ckjng in them, songs about random ticklers, mollestors, tragedies and other songs like "we do what we want".

Why should a parent at a football match have to explain to the their kids that we sing this song differently or who Jimmy Saville is or what a paedophile is?

It's a worrying trend.

Edited by fife_owl

I'm not sure, but I think the reason is that - every football club has to fork out money for every policeman inside the ground (maybe now pre-determined number based on crowd forecast), thereby over recent years, every ground seems to have a higher number of stewards inside the ground operating on less money and less power of arrest until situation is deferred / escalted to police intervention that will reside outside.

Although the police have a duty of law & order in public places (outside the ground) i would imagine that the request for additional assistance inside the ground (to control public order that the stewards cannot handle - e.g intervention of riot police, and delays in intervention due to that request) has to be paid as additional premium by said club !

That's my take anyway .... could be wrong ?

Edited by owls-swfc

I have thought about this for a while, I wonder what the football authorities would say if at Hillsborough had the fences put back up. At all places Hillsborough, but it is Hillsborough , where a donkey of a Bolton fan fell over from top to bottom tiers, and Hillsborough where this happened last Friday night. We put the fences up in the 80's and have had to endure part of the blame for the Hillsborough disaster. Now we are having the blame for last Friday, as Richard Littlejohn would say in his weekly column You could not make it up. I will say this once and for all, The Hillsborough disaster was not our fault, and neither was Friday.

Guest JC Saviour

I have thought about this for a while, I wonder what the football authorities would say if at Hillsborough had the fences put back up. At all places Hillsborough, but it is Hillsborough , where a donkey of a Bolton fan fell over from top to bottom tiers, and Hillsborough where this happened last Friday night. We put the fences up in the 80's and have had to endure part of the blame for the Hillsborough disaster. Now we are having the blame for last Friday, as Richard Littlejohn would say in his weekly column You could not make it up. I will say this once and for all, The Hillsborough disaster was not our fault, and neither was Friday.

No we are not...the Leeds fans have been universaly condemned for the way they have behaved with the " it's only one fan" B o llo cks shot down by everyone apart from leeds fans "

Great post by the OP, but the fences went up on the terraces and not the stands, does this now mean if they went up again they would be on all four sides? personally I don't think they will go up again, not after Hillsborough, but I do think other measures will be brought in.

Guest mrbluesky

hang on there is a standard 3 year ban for going on the pitch...has that changed

flippinghell we should be 10000 down after Wycombe game then!!!

Edited by mrbluesky