Great club, great fans.

Guest MrWestHam

Guest MrWestHam

A bit out of left field but I've been meaning to find somewhere to type this since you knocked us out of the FA Cup last season. I know our two clubs have had an amusing affinity since Tevez gate and how the blunts reacted to it but I owe you lot a general thank you.

My 9 year old daughter, now a three years veteran season ticket holder at West Ham hadn't been to an away game and I picked out our FA Cup tie as a gentle introduction. We had a great time and she was in awe of the noise (it's different when you hear a crowd in the minority) and although disappointed with the defeat she looks out for your results every week after how well we were treated before and after the game.

I was watching your game with dirty Leeds out of the corner of my eye tonight and saw what went on and it reminded me I still owed you all a post.

All the best for the future and hope to see you in the Premier League, preferably along with us, soon enough.

Cheers

I bet Aaron Cawley wouldn't have run on the pitch and slapped the keeper at Upton Park!

Seriously though, West Ham fans are always welcome on here, I seem to remember a few posting around the time of the cup game last season.

Who could forget the "This city is yours" chants they sang to us.

No offence mate but I was p!ssed off that you got promoted, really wanted to tick your place off as an away trip this season.

Good luck for the season though, seem to be settling in the prem alright and will be in no danger of slipping back down, big Sam has even played a bit of football for a change, so theres hope for everyone I suppose.

Not sure how old your little lass will be when we manage to join you though, dont go holding your breath.

West Ham fans are always welcome on here, not just for what you did to the pigs, but because most of you are down-to-earth guys who know their football.

Also, my premiership club as I loved Di Canio as a kid - obviously due to seeing him in a Wednesday shirt initially.

UTO

Welcome mate. I'm pleased you enjoyed your trip last season and like you say hopefully it won't be too long until it's a Premier League fixture again. I've got a soft spot for West Ham too and it was great to see proper fans of a decent football club at Hillsborough for a change last season. My mum is a Cockney from Forest Gate and a Hammer so I've always had an affinity for your club, but regardless I've always liked West Ham because like us you have always been a well supported club with a decent and realistic fanbase that always bring good numbers. The respect is mutual between us as clubs believe me.

I meant to pop onto KUMB to say hello and thank you last season but I've been so busy with work and my little lad that I just haven't had the time. I'll make sure I do it now at some point soon. Stick around and don't be a stranger. All the best.

Jon

West Ham fans are genuine, salt of the Earth types. Proper football fans like us, and always welcome at Hillsborough.

I'd be worried about your daughter though mate. When Wednesday comes calling, you can't say no. How long before she's not only looking out for our results, but also wearing a blue and white striped shirt, and demanding you take her back to Hillsborough?

It's inevitable now. Trust me!

lol

Guest MrWestHam

Really generous replies. Thanks one and all.

Unfortunately (for you) my daughter won't be changing clubs anytime soon. It's not a choice in our family and we're all brought up under the assumption that you don't get to choose who you support and by the time we work it out it's all too late! It's a decent club though and much like yourselves we know that the premier league trophy is unlikely to land in the cupboard but we're very likely to see some superb youngsters along the way and some decent football. As horrific as Allardyce's football was last season, this season it's not that bad at all. We've played some good stuff (and been direct too) but are no longer the soft touch we used to be.

Here's my embarrassing story from watching the FA Cup game at your place last year.

A friend of a friend is mates with your Chief Exec, so we were watching the game in the posh seats. I'm relatively old school so if I find myself in with the opposition fans I'll be respectful but my daughter wasn't able to contain her support on occasion and it became quite apparent that we were West Ham fans. No-one cared, or so it seemed. But there was this one bloke sitting directly behind me that really seemed to have it in for West Ham. He was complaining about each decision in a fairly long winded way and it was also a few seconds after the event for some reason. He was quite articulate and it was like he was talking to me. I didn't mind at first, I know some people don't like sitting near away fans so I could empathise a bit. But after a while he was really boring me and came out with 'it'll be great to send a side like this home with their tail between their legs' - hardly offensive but it was an aggregation thing and I thought he could have been a bit more gracious in front of a nine year old. So I turned round to give him the old laser beam stare only to realise it was bloody David Blunket. His comments were delayed because he'd been getting his information through an ear piece and was clearly completely oblivious to us sitting there. To make matters worse, his guide felt the need to apologise to me. This then meant he had to explain to David what had happened who was then embarrassed himself and felt the need to explain and also apologise. I couldn't accept his apology enough while absolutely dying inside and my daughter looking at me really confused. To compound it - Howard Wilkinson was sitting in front and found the whole thing very funny but then wanted to chat about our young players on show for the remainder of the game. Despite being a long time season ticket holder, I couldn't tell you jack about our reserves and youth team - HW clearly thought I must be a West Ham anorak if I'd travel to Sheffield to watch West Ham reserves in the 4th round. The two players I told him I thought were ok (which was entirely based on what I'd seen in the last 75 minutes) were released from their contracts at the end of the season and are now without clubs.

We got a little tour of the ground afterwards and got to have a wander on the pitch which was nice. I like to think of the big old ground as one of England's historic grounds but it's hard to disassociate it with the obvious sometimes. It's a good think that now when someone mentions Hillsbrough stadium my first memory these days is of trying to give a blind man a dirty look.

West ham my favourite London club proper club proper fans.

Totally agree with that. Apart from a problem we had on the South Bank in the 70's when it was just mental wherever you went always felt that the West Ham fans were down to earth folk and really passionate about both their club and football in general. Their knowledge of the game is second to none and my experiences of West Ham and their fans since the naughty 70's have been first class.