If you could change the result of one Sheffield Wednesday game...

What about the 91-92 season when we drew 1-1 at palace. If we had won we would have gone clear at the top of the table with 2 games left to play. The pressure would have really been on Leeds and Man U if that result had have happened. It's still one of my favourite away games ever that one. The momentum was with us, we took an incredible away following and the stand shook as we all bounced to 'tricky trev's Barmy Army '

I think a lot of peoples memorys are slightly clouded about the 91-92 season, if we would have beat palace we would have been in contention still but still in third place.

Leeds finished the season on 82 points, Man u on 78 and we where third on 75.

I cannot remember the exact year , 1989 I think , but dont quote , that last day defeat to Nottingham Forest 0 v 3. Big Rons final day defeat. If I remember right Luton had to win at Derby and they did 3 v 2. The euphoria when a rumour went around Luton had drew, even big Ron heard it, then that deafening silence when all was revealed. That was sickening and will always stay with me forever.

There are some great examples but if any one of these results were changed then we wouldn't be where we are today :ph34r:

That sounds a crazy thing to say but who knows what could have happened. Yes we may have gone on to win one or two more things or even dominate football for a while. But whose to say things couldn't have gone boobies up and we got relegated to the bottom tier with massive financial problems through over ambition and then been liquidated.

We at least have a sound footing now and can easily get back up there.

That's the one thing that keeps me going..... hope. And my love of live Wednesday football.

So that's two things then :picnic:

I think a lot of peoples memorys are slightly clouded about the 91-92 season, if we would have beat palace we would have been in contention still but still in third place.

Agree, us allowing Leeds and Man Utd to peg us back to draws after we were in the lead at both Elland Road and Old Trafford had a far bigger impact on the title race.

Correct. Had we won at Palace we would have gone onto 76 points. Man u and Leeds were both playing this penultimate games the next day. Leeds were already on 76 and Man U 75.

Guest Distraught!

I would guess the 1993 FA Cup Final would be my first choice but others would also be the outcome of the League Cup tie in Wilko's time when we drew 4-4 at Hillsborough against Chelsea. Losing that in the replay the way we did was almost as painful as the 1993 Cup Final. Losing to Brighton in the FA Cup Semi Final under Big Jack is another. Maybe the other semi final against Everton under Wilko. There are so many. We have been the bridesmaids too many times.

For me it has to be the final game of the 69/70 season when we had to beat Man City to stay up. That was a major turning point in the club's fortunes and I know that many fans vowed to stop going after such an inept display against happy to lose opposition.

The Brighton semi defeat in its way was also a real sickener.

The remarks about arsenal and '93 and how it could have been us going on to greater things.......

Could we have hoped to fill a 70,000 seat stadium??

Yeh we were a top 5 club back in the day but I think some fans get carried away about how big we could have become. We are no where near Man U, Gooners even the scouse. But I suppose when you see what Chelsea and Man City have done (arguably similar in size to us) then you wonder........

Suppose the argument then is would you sell your soul (club) tothe highest bidder to get success???

The remarks about arsenal and '93 and how it could have been us going on to greater things.......

Could we have hoped to fill a 70,000 seat stadium??

Yeh we were a top 5 club back in the day but I think some fans get carried away about how big we could have become. We are no where near Man U, Gooners even the scouse. But I suppose when you see what Chelsea and Man City have done (arguably similar in size to us) then you wonder........

Suppose the argument then is would you sell your soul (club) tothe highest bidder to get success???

i,m sure if a russian or arab billionaire came in for us they wouldnt be to many dissenters and certainly one very happy serb .

Think id change the result of the Barcelona game in 1962.

We were far too good for Red star and would have won that semi fairly easily IMO,and gone into the two legged final against Valencia.Wether wed have won the trophy is debatable,as Valencia were a far stronger side than Barca at that time,theyd hammered Notts Forest 5-1 in Nottingham in the 1st round,but Forest were having a bad season,just avoiding relegation with Chelsea.

We were certainly capable of beating them on our day and may well have had a european trophy in the cabinet!