McCabe and Rangers

Im not sure it is selective. Rangers are claiming that they still hold the registration of the players and are due a transfer fee, SFA backs them up in this assertion:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...otball/18771127

In these cases FIFA have to rule on the issue, and they are slow and take their own sweet time (true of any large, internationl organisation). So, individually:

In the case a Stephen Davies, eventually Southampton gave in and paid a Fee rather than waiting.

Move agreed: http://www.bbc.co.uk...otball/18748689 - Move Completed when undiclosed fee agreed: http://www.bbc.co.uk...otball/18937843 so block lifted.

Steven Whittaker:

Agrees move: http://www.bbc.co.uk...otball/18658196 - Given temporary clearance by FIFA: http://sport.stv.tv/...ying-clearance/

It took 20 days for FIFA to even give temporary registrations (which is pending the full registration issue being decided, which is still yet to happen).

We signed McCabe on 30 July, so we shouldn't expect to even get a temporary registration until 20 August.

I think it's to do with the fact that he's under 23.

But he wasn't contracted to anybody, so how can anybody expect a fee? He was a Rangers player, Rangers no longer exist, and McCabe refused to transfer his contract to Newco Rangers, so I'd love somebody to explain to me how Newco Rangers can reasonably expect to be compensated when the player was never their employee.

I think it's to do with the fact that he's under 23 and they want a little compo. Not a chance though, it will drag on a little unfortunately!

Nothing to do with age. Rangers are saying that ALL the players were still under contract and threatening legal action. SFA backs this up and refuses international clearance.

But he wasn't contracted to anybody, so how can anybody expect a fee? He was a Rangers player, Rangers no longer exist, and McCabe refused to transfer his contract to Newco Rangers, so I'd love somebody to explain to me how Newco Rangers can reasonably expect to be compensated when the player was never their employee.

You never played poker? Its a bluff, pure and simple. Its already worked with Stephen Davis transfer to Southampton - they paid a fee rather than waiting for FIFA to rule on the issue.

Legally, they do not have a leg to stand on but are making it as difficult as possible legally speaking to squeeze any money they can out of the clubs the player has signed.

Can't see Milan doing that for us, therefore we wait for FIFA to rule on the issue and grant clearance.

look hairyman, there Is NO such team or football club as NEWCO Rangers, sevco or sebastian fecking coe, its all been done and dusted, the club NEVER changed, the owners did...aint fecking rocketscience. :biggrin:

I do agree with what you say about him not transferring over though, he choose not to and should therfore be a free agent.........also the SFA are useless.

The second paragraph of your comment makes utter rounduns of the first paragraph. You can't have it both ways.

i can only assume its an age issue - unless some clause in the contract is proving contentious. I thought EU employment law held precedent over these things anyway.

I think it could be an age issue. Some money has to go in some Scottish piggybank (nothing to do with penalty experts) to recoup for youth training.

Nothing to do with age. Rangers are saying that ALL the players were still under contract and threatening legal action. SFA backs this up and refuses international clearance.

I'm only going on what I read somewhere a week or so ago. Most of the players that have moved without issue were established first team players and over 23. The only one where a fee was paid was Steven Davis to Southampton but that was only to quicken the process up so they could get him playing. The Newco Rangers are trying all the tricks in the book and wanting compensation for players that they (or what they believe as the club they took over) have developed over years is their latest one. Has the young kid (similar age to McCabe) who went to Stoke been able to play yet?

Edited by Babushka1867

Common Market (1970s), EU laws (1980, 1990, 2000, 2010 +), free transfer of people throughout Europe for work etc ? ......... Hadrian's wall has no'kin chance !

Edited by owls-swfc

I'm only going on what I read somewhere a week or so ago. Most of the players that have moved without issue were established first team players and over 23. The only one where a fee was paid was Steven Davis to Southampton but that was only to quicken the process up so they could get him playing. The Newco Rangers are trying all the tricks in the book and wanting compensation for players that they (or what they believe as the club they took over) have developed over years is their latest one. Has the young kid (similar age to McCabe) who went to Stoke been able to play yet?

Has he played? Not sure.

He has received Temporary Clearance though (20 days after agreeing to move) which would allow him to play for Stoke pending the full resolution of the issue:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18934111

We have picked up what appears to be a fantastic player for free or, if we have to pay compensation, significantly less than we would have had to pay if he was in contract. Rangers NewCo will protest. They're not wrong or bad people for protesting - we would do exactly the same in their situation. Let's be patient. We've got the lad . He's going to play at some point.

You never played poker? Its a bluff, pure and simple. Its already worked with Stephen Davis transfer to Southampton - they paid a fee rather than waiting for FIFA to rule on the issue.

Legally, they do not have a leg to stand on but are making it as difficult as possible legally speaking to squeeze any money they can out of the clubs the player has signed.

Can't see Milan doing that for us, therefore we wait for FIFA to rule on the issue and grant clearance.

That is a terrible way to do business, a great way to make friends when you might need help (lones) in the future.

Be interesting to see how FIFA rules on this as it could bring them in direct conflict with EC law.

Utahs point is interesting in as much as all FIFA rules must be compliant with the national law of the country/countries on which they are making a ruling.

In this case the SFA are being complete arseholes as they are fully aware that they are governed by European Employment Law. This spanner the SFA have thrown into the works by supporting Newcostle Uniteds (like it ?) objectiion is a form of restriction of McCabes human rights and freedom to earn a living in the EU as an EU citizen. If Wednesdays legal bods pose their concerns in those terms with compensation to redress their loss I'm sure t will all get sorted very quickly.

Utahs point is interesting in as much as all FIFA rules must be compliant with the national law of the country/countries on which they are making a ruling.

In this case the SFA are being complete arseholes as they are fully aware that they are governed by European Employment Law. This spanner the SFA have thrown into the works by supporting Newcostle Uniteds (like it ?) objectiion is a form of restriction of McCabes human rights and freedom to earn a living in the EU as an EU citizen. If Wednesdays legal bods pose their concerns in those terms with compensation to redress their loss I'm sure t will all get sorted very quickly.

Good point Nev.

This billionaire green talking about as in mike ashley.he cant be involved with rangers and Newcastle can he or have I got the wrong ashley.

Yes Mike Ashley could own Newcastle and Rangers if he wanted to, there's no conflict of interest. When Milan was rumoured to be interested in Rangers it was the same, he could have owned us both, the only possible conflict could arise in European competition. Is that what you meant or have I just got the wrong end of the stick lol

Didn't Rangers Newco agree to take on the 'footballing debts' (ie monies owed to other clubs) as part of getting agreement with the SFL for registration this year?

If so, Rangers might be arguing that as they have taken on these debts, then they expect some form of compensation for players previously owned by Rangers?

I don't think they have a leg to stand on, but know some teams will want a quick resolution and those clubs with funds for buying players may well stump some up to avoid the legal stuff/delay.

Edited by oh_weds_we_love_you