OWLSTALK SOLD OUT THE WEDNESDAY PLAYER OFFER !

Guest chappers

Guest Cheese

For anyone with questions/queries about Wednesday Player, the IOS usability of it, subcriptions, billing, technical or just to ask inane stupid questions or request something you can easily find out yourself click the link below

http://www.player.swfc.co.uk/contact-us

Thanks Neil but I've gone above that level and emailed the business development manager directly instead.

I've asked Rentokil about the pie ingredients and await their response, I'll keep you informed.

Guest Cheese

Good stuff mate

Hope you get the answer you're looking for

IOS would be good/is critical as we move forward innit

Well with number of iPods, iPhones, iPads out there I would have thought the BDM or his team will have looked at providing it on the platform so It should get me the best answer of anyone.

I emailed the club about the possibility of Wednesday Player being made into an iPhone app last year. I explained that with the lack of radio and the fact that live commentary isn't available on internet radio and it would be a good seller. I got a response quite quickly. But like Neil said they aren't in control of that side of things. They did say it would be a fantastic idea tho.

I emailed the club about the possibility of Wednesday Player being made into an iPhone app last year. I explained that with the lack of radio and the fact that live commentary isn't available on internet radio and it would be a good seller. I got a response quite quickly. But like Neil said they aren't in control of that side of things. They did say it would be a fantastic idea tho.

Well with number of iPods, iPhones, iPads out there I would have thought the BDM or his team will have looked at providing it on the platform so It should get me the best answer of anyone.

Agreed mate

Anyone who doesn't cater for IOS these days is behind the times so let's hope they sort it soon

Owlstalk Shop

I have to admit even I'm surprised by the level of anti-swfc sentiment in this thread

It's like a trip back to the days of Kaven and Dave

Having a different view on a minor aspect of the business, is not "anti-SWFC sentiment".

I was gutted about missing out but in all honestly I've got a ST and will be going to most away games, listening to RS after and watching the football league show (i think) after so not that gutted.

Meanwhile I'm putting my prices up in my Taxi, just thought i'd tell ya'll. lol

The matchday camera ?

What's up with it mate ?

is it the camera or live connection ?

its not the camera thats the problem, its the quality of the render. There are options for high, med and low quality, but generally only the low quality stream is there

Guest MikeyG

Any fan living abroad who doesnt have the cost of matchday tickets and travel will have it already surely ?

And if not they can sign up today and get match commentary and videos as soon as they do

I live in Germany working for the Forces.

I had Player but cancelled it a.) when the price went up and b.) due to flakey sometimes it will, sometimes it won't commentary thats just makes you want to smash your computer to bits when it fails at usually a point of the game where Wednesday are looking to score. (and it aint my broadband either as i'm running a tad slower than 48mbps)

Always seemed a time lag for commentary too, Jeff would be telling me on Sky's Soccer Saturday we'd scored before I was hearing it!!

At £40 for this service it's not worth it, even for being out here. (Granted the service may have improved over the last couple of years) I try and get back every 2 and half-3 months to watch a game and the £40 towards cost of fuel or the Dunkirk-Dover ferry is a far better investment.

Missed out on the deal yesterday, £10 I'd have definately tried it again and had it worked (which it wouldn't unless i'd used a VPN as it wasn't even targeted at supporters overseas - Uk only I beleive) would think again about paying full next year. £40... back into the ferry pot it goes.

As this was a UK only offer Neil, will the club in the future offer any of these kind of deals to us ex pat Owls?

Seeing as you lot clearly are wanting spoonfeeding answers (so that you can then rant/complain/whinge some more despite these being fact) here you go...

- The Wednesday Player platform is provided by a third party (Perform Group via FLi) and the club provide the content (to the platform specifications).

- The club have no say on the pricing directly – however were able to offer this as we bulk-bought gift cards from FLi to sell on a retail basis. We bought the maximum we were allowed to (and cannot get more) – hence why it was limited to the 400.

- The offer will not be run again, but we
may
do another ticketing offer (just the one!) for a specific game via LivingSocial at some point this season, there
may
be other retail offers perhaps and the community programme
may
run offers for things like soccer camps from time to time – so it’s worth keeping an eye on LivingSocial emails.

- The deal was to buy a physical ‘gift card’, not a code or similar – hence why we cannot email the codes (the code system is run by the platform, not the club, so we can’t access the codes to email) – it was clearly stated that people were buying a gift card, several times, and clearly stated in the terms it would be posted to them. Everyone should read such terms before they buy, of course.

- The service is only ever advertised for PC and Mac (this, again, is clearly stated), not for mobiles at all – hence why mobiles are not supported directly for Wednesday Player. There is a separate App (the Football League Official Clubs’ App) for Android/iOS, but that is a different product and has a different subscription, plus only has video, not commentary (imagine the data charges for streaming commentary over a phone network for over 2 hours!?).

- Mobiles will not be directly supported this coming season, either – however, unofficially, Andoid users tend to be able to use it with no problems whatsoever using the normal web browser interface and iPhone/iPad users have encountered success using an alternative browser from the App Store that stream Flash content by proxy (I think ‘Photon’ is one such app), so – if people want – they can use the service on their devices with a workaround like this.

- Limited number/Limited time deals like this is how companies like LivingSocial work. You’re always in with a better chance of finding out about such deals if you check their website in a morning and/or subscribe to their emails. Miss it, miss out – it’s tough. 400 was still a significant amount offered, more than most local deals run.

- Where people are saying ‘what other companies publicly offer discounts like this’... err.. LOADS. Just browse through LivingSocial/GroupOn/KGB, etc and see. Recent examples of public offers via LivingSocial include Marks and Spencer (£7 for a £15 giftcard), HMV (£10 for a £20 voucher), Boots (£15 for a £30 giftcard). Sky, BT and Virgin regularly do ‘3 months free’ offers for new customers, etc... It’s common marketing practice.

Owlstalk Shop

In response to the final point, I said no other annual subscription firms would offer a 12 month sub to a select number of subscribers at a quarter of the price and publicly reveal it. At least to my knowledge. Like I said, my mate involved with an iPad edition of a paper, said from his business perspective, the much more sensible decision would have been a 3-month lead in offer, looking to tie people in full price in the midst of the season (a la Sky and Virgin). Thanks for taking the time to answer all the 'legitimate questions, not 'moans'.