Expectation levels for Championship

To be talking about top six at the moment without even knowing what our squad is going to be is just making us look daft IMO. The Champ is a very tough league.

Lets wait and see what signings we make first before any predictions shall we?

Guest The Horse

I am being sensible.

We're not just going up - we're gonna smash our way out of this league.

We've got a score to settle with Arsenal...

I'll wait and see how our squad is looking first, but with our current manager and chairman, with our support and recent home form, and with our momentum I think top half is my minimum expectation. We need to aim high, anything less I think would be disappointing.

There are some very average sides in the Championship and if we carry on as we left off then we can go far. We have a lot going in our favour and as a club we should be aiming for at least top 6. I'm sure that Milan and Dave will be setting the target high too.

Who are the very average sides? I can't see many. Dingles look the only really weak side. Peterborough's possibly second easiest fixture, and we know from experience, getting 3 points at London Road is never easy. Watford and Forest (if they lose out of contract players) other weakest sides?

Leicester spent close to £20m and finished 9th. Burnley 13th with a strike force of Austin, Ings, Rodriguez and Paterson. Palace 17th with two of the hottest properties outside the Prem on their books, Clyne and Zaha, alongside people like Speroni and Ambrose.

I think we're below an average Championship side at the moment, and all the average sides have a head start on us. We might expect to finish ahead of Burnley and Hudds next season but they'll likely be helped by their budgets being swelled by £4/£5m for Rhodes and Rodriguez.

Not trying to be too downbeat but until recently we were getting very excited by the prospect of signing average Championship sides' reserve players (Scannell, Treacy, etc). DJ's got a MASSIVE job on his hands. On our side we've got the support, momentum, Milan and a shrewd manager but it's still going to be tough.

Norwich and Southampton's achievements were remarkable. I think Brighton are a better benchmark for us, and even they maybe started with a better base. They finished 10th and with 66 points - anywhere around that, and I'd consider it a successful season.

Guest kiltonowl

There are a lot of fans who are looking at our odds and thinking we have a chance, but at the moment we have no chance of competing for a top 6 place at the moment. You look at Southampton and Norwich, they already had some very good players in their squad like Adam Llalana and Grant Holt, we don't have one player of that quality unfortunately.

Our team without the loanees looks really bare, so struggling to see how anyone can say we challenge up near the top 6.

The club needs to spend £2-£3m for us to be up there, plus loan additions.

But I do believe that there is positives to take from our contenders next season.

Bolton and Blackburn are struggling for money. Wolves, won't buy the league and Birmingham are in the same category as Bolton and Blackburn. The middle clubs have no budget like Bristol City and Watford, whilst the teams that have come up with us, are very unlikely to spend as much as we do. I expect us to finish above Charlton, Huddersfield, Birmingham, Bristol City, Watford, Peterborough, Barnsley and perhaps Forest at least.

But I generally don't buy into the rubbish that we can get into the top 6, not yet with how our squad is looking. Maybe in August!

Agree entirely, the squad minus the loanees is pretty weak.

Kirkland (if he says fit) and Lee are quality signings, but the current team still requires a further 9 players.

1. top quality centre half to replace Baath

2. Left back cover for Reda

2. 3 wingers (two top notch!)

3. Defensive midfielder to cover Semedo

4. Attacking midfield to partner Semedo (lines as cover)

5. 2 Strikers (we dont know how madine will make the step up)

Get rid of Lowe, Prutton, and the Jones's R, D, and M!

As it stands we would be no where near the playoffs!!.... only when DJ has finished his business can make assumptions on where will be next May

Guest kiltonowl

Who are the very average sides? I can't see many. Dingles look the only really weak side. Peterborough's possibly second easiest fixture, and we know from experience, getting 3 points at London Road is never easy. Watford and Forest (if they lose out of contract players) other weakest sides?

Leicester spent close to £20m and finished 9th. Burnley 13th with a strike force of Austin, Ings, Rodriguez and Paterson. Palace 17th with two of the hottest properties outside the Prem on their books, Clyne and Zaha, alongside people like Speroni and Ambrose.

I think we're below an average Championship side at the moment, and all the average sides have a head start on us. We might expect to finish ahead of Burnley and Hudds next season but they'll likely be helped by their budgets being swelled by £4/£5m for Rhodes and Rodriguez.

Not trying to be too downbeat but until recently we were getting very excited by the prospect of signing average Championship sides' reserve players (Scannell, Treacy, etc). DJ's got a MASSIVE job on his hands. On our side we've got the support, momentum, Milan and a shrewd manager but it's still going to be tough.

Norwich and Southampton's achievements were remarkable. I think Brighton are a better benchmark for us, and even they maybe started with a better base. They finished 10th and with 66 points - anywhere around that, and I'd consider it a successful season.

Agree entirely... yes it was a suprise Reading went up, but the again Antonio couldnt get a sniff there.

The Championship is a tough league. DJ couldnt do it with a team including Bellamy, Ramsey, Bothroyd, Whittingham. Thats no slight on him, just an indication that the league is not a walk in the park.

Going on what MM and PA have said, I fully expect us to be promotion challengers However, thats a tall order, there are teams who are starting from a higher baseline than us, who are prepared to spend millions on breaking into the top flight. We will need to compete like that in the transfer market if we are realistically going to challenge.

Impossible to say what my expectations are until I know who we've signed, I don't think we'll throw a lot of money around but DJ has a habit of picking up a bargain or two, If MM wants to push on (Which he's said he wants) then he can't expect DJ to do it all on a low budget. Signing Chris Kirkland and now Kieren Lee is a good start and I would hope that there will be 4/5 good solid signings to come, that's at least what it will take to be mid table/Play-off challengers.

MM and DJ know the score and I'm sure they're working tirelessly to get the right people in, gone are the days of signing poo at a poo level but there's also no way we'll be paying silly money on transfers/wages.

In Milan we trust !!

Edited by paddyowl

Well we need to secure Antonio, Batth, Ranger and Treacy to be where we were last season. If we do that, it will still take more than the solid signings of Lee and Kirkland to turn us into a championship force

Guest TThornton2

'If we sign 8/9 players we could push for promotion' ??? think you could say that about any team in the Championship.

Need to be realistic - sick of seeing the words 'back to back'.

14th or above will be a solid step forward.

Guest bigblue

'If we sign 8/9 players we could push for promotion' ??? think you could say that about any team in the Championship.

true, but that's the point isn't it? We're a good 8/9 players away from being ready for the next level, and those signings will determine where we finish.

Others COULD sign loads of quality IN THEORY, but how many can really afford to, and how many will? We actually stand a chance of doing just that. So it's not too unrealistic a statement in our case.

Let's see how we look when the pre season friendlies come around. Both DJ and MM have been around the block enough times to be able to carry out a realistic assessment of where we currently are and what we need to move us forward. Some very well thought out and realistic views expressed here, but you can guarantee it, if we're thinking it, DJ is way ahead of us. What i do like, in most cases, is the realistic expectation levels expressed on here. Whatever happens, it's gonna be bouncing!!!

Let's see how we look when the pre season friendlies come around. Both DJ and MM have been around the block enough times to be able to carry out a realistic assessment of where we currently are and what we need to move us forward. Some very well thought out and realistic views expressed here, but you can guarantee it, if we're thinking it, DJ is way ahead of us. What i do like, in most cases, is the realistic expectation levels expressed on here. Whatever happens, it's gonna be bouncing!!!

Fvckin hell, i used realistic 3 times!!! it's goin to be boring as hell!!!!!!! :ghoulguy:

Would be very happy with a top half finish.

The Championship is a funny division and clearly a step up from League One.

It is a bit of a cliche, but anyone can beat anyone in this division.

Edited by SiJ

Big step up from Div 3 to Div 2.

Most teams in Div 3 are there because that is the standard the clubs achieve year in year out with the occasional brief trip into Div 2 (Championship) for a 1 or 2 seasons then its back to their natural level. There are one or two exceptions but generally the standard of Div 3 is pretty dire.

Div 2 have quite a few clubs who make the trip in an upward direction from time to time, return to Div 2 and stay in the top half of the division in or around the play offs. Because of the parachute payment system, any club that has had time in the premiership has a shed load of money to support their bid to get out of Div 2 again. Currently there are around 8 clubs who will be challenging again for promotion either as automatic or through play offs. Wednesday are a long way off those standards at the moment, even with 5 or 6 new signings we will still struggle to make the top 10 in Div 2 next season.

Lets see who is brought into the squad this season but I believe a top 10 finish will be an excellent season for us

Edited by gandiaowl

I still think that the main aim has to be Championship consolidation; I know many will have their targets set on doing a Norwich/Southampton, and be up there fighting for promotion...

...but realistically, a successful season for me would be a top-half finish, but I fully expect a finish of around 15/16th